BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just mounted a Givi 30 liter Trekker Dolomiti. I considered the bigger box, but thought that it was a bit too big.

Givi provides additional bracing for the rear rack when mounting their quick-connect plate - takes a bit of worry out of the weight hanging over the rear end.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That look good. What adapter plate did you order?
Givi SR5126 adapter and an M8A plate. The SR5126 isn't available in the US yet - I got it on eBay from a seller in Bologna. His cost + shipping came to just about what the US List price is.

No word on just when Givi USA will get the bits in. From what I can see, "5126" is Givi's bike code for the G310GS, as a number of other Givi parts for it use that number with a different aplha prefix.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great looking box. does anyone know about any side panniers available?
From Givi you will need part # PL5126 (G310GS specific mounting kit), which doesn't actually seem to be available yet. I believe that Hepco Becker has a "C" mount available.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just mounted a Givi 30 liter Trekker Dolomiti. I considered the bigger box, but thought that it was a bit too big.

I think you made the right choice on size of box, looking at the images the box looks in proportion to the bike. Looks good.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you made the right choice on size of box, looking at the images the box looks in proportion to the bike. Looks good.
Thanks. This bike is primarily for day rides and maybe a short overnight. For longer, more "serious" rides my Tiger Explorer with about 150 liters of lockable Jesse kit is the weapon of choice. So all I really need room for is a tool kit, first aid kit, a cable lock and maybe a bit of lunch.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Your mileage may vary :grin2: I do prefer the big one, so I can throw in helmets, jackets, groceries, and even sometimes, flowers for my wife :x

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does it provide and back support for a passenger? As in, I take my 6 and 9 year olds for rides and would it provide any additional support if I added a back pad and they leaned on it?

Just wondering how strong it seemed, being that they are kids I assume it would be fine, but thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Does it provide and back support for a passenger? As in, I take my 6 and 9 year olds for rides and would it provide any additional support if I added a back pad and they leaned on it?
Yes, a polyurethane backrest is provided by Givi and I plan to order it. The binding itself is quite strong, so it can support pressure.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As above. It fits either the 30 or the 46 liter box

·
Registered
5 Posts
It looks like the plate is bolted to the bike? I'm looking at this for another solution (2x2 cycles bike rack) and was thinking I could mount the rack to the plate and have it be able to be quickly mounted or unmounted via the quick connect plate but looking at the pics it looks like the plate is bolted to the bike and then it's the top case that actually does the "quick connect" part?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes, the monokey plate is bolted to a specific plate, bolted itself on the bike rack. And the top box does clip on the monokey.
Do you mean, mount a kind of "bicycle" rack ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
This remind me my debut with mtbiking. A time without a car and my only Ténéré, I fixed my dismounted mountainbike on the rear with some straps, and go riding !:grin2:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes, the monokey plate is bolted to a specific plate, bolted itself on the bike rack. And the top box does clip on the monokey.
Do you mean, mount a kind of "bicycle" rack ?
Wait. In addition to the Monokey plate and rear rack you also need another plate? I have Monokey universal mounting plate attached directly to two entirely different racks on different bikes (I move the case between bikes). I wonder why your set up needs another plate in-between the rack and Monokey plate.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There are 3 pieces involved:

#1 - the OEM BMW rear rack - if you have a GS, it came with the rack fitted. If you have an R, you will need to fit one - either buy it from BMW or find someone with a GS that wants the R's grab rails and swap.

#2 - the Givi SR5126 adapter. This bolts to the OEM rack and provides for mounting the M8 plate. It also additional support braces.

#3 - the Givi M8 plate. This mounts to the SR5126 and provides for mounting Monokey cases. There are cheaper plates than the M8, but I preferred the aluminum plate over a resin (plastic) plate. Note that I had a resin plate on my VStrom for 14 years and 95K miles with no issues - it's just a matter of aesthetics.

You could conceivably not use the SR5126, but you would have to make some adapter plate as the M8 needs to be raised a bit and the mounting holes don't match the BMW rear rack.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts