BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not posted much in a long time and as of today " Tuesday " around 10:30 am, I will no longer own my intrepid little G310GS. It has given me great fun and lots of miles ( Around 28,000 miles ) and been a remarkable machine over the last 2 years. It has gone across the entire USA and back without a hiccup, got me where I wanted to go without a complaint and served me well. I can't really have asked for more, but alas it has developed some kind of fatal flaw that the BMW dealer nor BMW HQ could correct in a timely manner, so BMW decided to buy it back.

I will not be getting another G310GS but decided to stay with BMW and purchased a new F900XR. I rode about 5 to 6,000 miles of the G310GS's life off road and enjoyed it but realized at my age 65, I was getting a little beat up and the recovery time for me was getting longer and longer. So I decided to go back to a street oriented machine but with an upright seating and no pretension of traveling off road ( aside from a well a maintained gravel or dirt segment ). I have owned the new F900XR for 2 weeks as of today and have over 550 miles on it now. I can say it is a wonderful machine to ride on the street, back roads, or freeway system. It is narrower than the G310GS so lane splitting here in California is easier, it is highly maneuverable, with plenty of power and surprisingly descent gas mileage. Pushing it fairly hard in the canyons and twisties along with freeway and stop and go traffic, I have been getting 48.1 miles per gallon according to the onboard computer system. This tracks pretty well with my actual gas receipts and based on the 56 mpg claimed by BMW I feel this is pretty good. My G310GS at normal stop and go riding would get around 60 mpg, freeway speeds ( 70 mph ) would only get 52 to 56 mpg and at 80 mph would get around 39 to 41 mpg and the G310's rated MPG was around 70 MPG.

So to all, I bid farewell, and hope your time with the G310's gives you many miles and many smiles, ( It has for me ). Good luck to you all and Be safe out there.

Zente

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess the best way to describe it would be to say that under heavy load ( acceleration or deceleration ) between 4k and 9k rpm the engine rpm would oscillate as much as 600 to 1000 rpm ( under minimal load would oscillate between 200 and 500 rpms ). You could feel the engine pulsate as if it had a spark or fueling problem. This developed over a 2 day period from a minor annoyance to a severe issue. I was riding down from a town called Julian in the mountains back to my home and while descending the the bike would buck wildly ( oscillating 600 to 1000 constantly ) so I had to almost coast the entire trip down the mountain to keep the load off the engine to maintain good control. It was much more manageable on relatively flat surfaces but was still present. I took it directly to my dealer. I explained the issue and they tested the bike with their diagnostic computers and found no fault codes. I had both the service manager ( also a very good tech ) as well as the tech working on the bike and gave them detailed info on how to reproduce the issue while riding it. They both came back and confirmed the issue. Over the course of 2 weeks they went through the entire main electrical system and fueling system but the problem was still there. Both my dealer and I ( customer relations ) contacted BMW HQ and unfortunately they were unable to provide any additional advise or suggestions that helped. After a total of 31 consecutive days in the shop BMW NA offered to buy my bike back.
I still don't know what caused the issue nor what the potential fix might be. I looked all over the internet for weeks for any similar issues and found NONE. So I have to believe that this is a unique case and that it is not some underlying problem inherent to this line of motorcycle. I truly believe that the G310GS and the R are good bikes, and that the few issues it had are the normal growing pains of a new bike, being built in a different country, that just needed at little more oversight when it was first released. The frame ( kick stand issue ) was a bad oversight, but the brake caliper issue was outside BMW's control and should not be held against them.

Again I must say I completely enjoyed the 2+ years and 28,000 miles I put on this motorcycle.
I hope everyone continues to enjoy theirs as much as I have mine. I will miss reading and seeing the pictures of how everyone is customizing and making the 310 unique to them.
I will check in from time to time and you all will be missed.
Thank you to everyone for the support and help you provide to the community.

Zente

1 - 6 of 6 Posts