BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is probably my one and only real complaint about the bike! No matter how carefully I try and operate the shifter, every once in a while shifting up from first the transmission will click into neutral, followed by a high rev blip as I open the throttle without second gear engaged. Embarrassing!

For me at least, something about the geometry of the peg and shifter is not quite right, I'm thinking the length may be on the generous side? I've already lowered the shift lever a bit so it's a little more natural, but it still never feels right. When I jumped on my old Suzuki, I never even thought about it, it was always just there, right where it should be.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Have the Dealer adjust level (or do it yourself) so you can get you toes under good and you have enough leverage on shifter. I had trouble getting under the shifter with my adventure boots. The Dealer raised it so I can get under better now. It is a little high and I will eventually lower it a bit.

If it is up too high, you can't get the leverage and you have to try and raise your toes higher which will make it harder to get a positive shift.

·
Registered
163 Posts
For me at least, something about the geometry of the peg and shifter is not quite right, I'm thinking the length may be on the generous side?
no my friend, the gearbox is BMWish (that means vague) as well as cheap, plain and simple. you will never encounter such a problem on a Japanese bike. haven't you notice the noisy engine? compare this with a Honda or any other jap bike. what the heck, let's call it character....

:nerd:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Coming from two Japanese bikes, I see NO difference...
Generalities are nonsenses:wink2:
dude i am not talking in general, i HAVE previous experience with a Honda XR 400, Kawasaki 250 KLR , Yamaha DT (as well as mopeds and scooters but i don't count them) and this is my second European, but Indian made, bike (if you count a Royal Enfield as such..:). there is simply no comparison..

·
Registered
469 Posts
same issue for me. not all the time but sometime.
Had it happen to me a few times as well.
But since I changed out my levers to the shorter, adjustable, and cheap Chinese ones, no issues.
Go figure?:surprise:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Having owned 12 different bikes Japanese it's the rider not the bike. Are you wearing proper motorcycle boots? I've found you will not get a "clean" upshift es specially from 1st to 2nd if you dont have a proper boot. A soft shoe against the shift will cause missedshifts. .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Suzuki (and my Kawi for that matter) never had this problem, but of course it cost considerably more than the 310, too. Same riding gear though, and I've even lowered the shifter a bit to get more leverage for upshifts. Overall it's not a bad transmission, but mine seems to have it's quirks, as I know others do. I got caught rolling up behind a car stopped at a light (that had turned green a while ago) in second gear a week or so back, and trying to downshift into first totally froze the transmission in neutral. Couldn't shift up, couldn't shift down. It was just totally jammed. I know I'm not the only one to have this problem, so I suspect the transmission does have it's own set of minor issues.

During break-in, mine would sometimes shift kind of notchy and was tricky to really smoothly rev match, but then at the next light it would shift absolutely buttery smooth through the gears. It was really inconsistent.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It doesn't bother me a lot, but even now after months owning the bike I can't hit neutral easily. Most times I miss it and try again until I get it in a traffic light, for example.

·
Registered
469 Posts
It doesn't bother me a lot, but even now after months owning the bike I can't hit neutral easily. Most times I miss it and try again until I get it in a traffic light, for example.
That's a common trait in a few bike brands, namely HD and BMW.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Having owned 12 different bikes Japanese it's the rider not the bike. Are you wearing proper motorcycle boots? I've found you will not get a "clean" upshift es specially from 1st to 2nd if you dont have a proper boot. A soft shoe against the shift will cause missedshifts. .
Uh yeah, having ridden for many years on many different brands, it's not me or my footwear.
I admit the Japanese built bikes shift more precise and smoother.
Every brand has its differences and strange little quirks, but nothing that I couldn't handle
or accept as a characteristic of that particular bike.
That's what makes each bike a little more interesting than the other.:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
1,139 Posts
After about 5000km I can get neutral pretty consistently, it is something that needs a bit of practice, but I only shift into neutral when turning off the bike, I normally keep it in gear at the lights ready to go in case somebody comes up too fast behind me. Only once did I have the problem of shifting from 1st into neutral when taking off at the lights.

·
Registered
169 Posts
13.000km and I can find neutral 95% of the time easily. I'm only having trouble finding it while the bike is moving above 7-8km/h. With boots it's extremely easy, but with soft cloth footwear like the Adidas Ultraboost it's a bit tougher due to leverage, but I still almost never encounter difficulty upshifting.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My seventh BMW and 28th motorcycle overall. The gearbox is weak. I have several false neutrals. I am hoping it will loosen up as my other BMW's had. It's annoying but some bikes have their quirks.
Most definitely agree on the quirkiness of a BMW gearbox, having had 4 previous to this GS.
Took some time and kilometres to loosen up and be more precise.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
So, for an update. I spent a little time thinking about the shifter itself. There was quite a bit of general play in it, so I used some heat shrink tubing to shim out the slop, and lightly greased the pivot.
I also changed out my oil for Amsoil Metric 15W50 (I am in no way affiliated with the company, before someone asks). After a few decent length rides, I have not had the transmission catch in neutral again while upshifting :grin2:

edit PS: This thread is NOT about difficulty finding neutral! That is a different topic.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts