BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know the size/number of links of the stock chain? i suppose that it might be the same like the r...
thank you in advance
:nerd:

·
Registered
157 Posts
does anyone know the size/number of links of the stock chain? i suppose that it might be the same like the r...
thank you in advance
:nerd:
The manual only says "Z" chain. I would check with dealer. It might be longer than the "R" chain as suspension is different.

How could you possibly need the replace the chain already? Modifying?

·
Registered
82 Posts
There seems to be some controversy over exactly how many links are in the chain but I want to say that the R and the GS do indeed use the same final drive chain, part # 33 83 8 566 489 which retails from BMW for about $117 US .

Here is a very good parts information resource for BMW motorcycles. It takes a little bit of practice to navigate and I suspect it works better with a PC than a smart phone or tablet but it works very well if you need to get a part number.

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx

·
Registered
155 Posts
A search of this site showed 520 with 112 links. From BMW it is an endless chain (no master link).It is suggested to count links before ordering a new chain. A name brand X ring would probably work. Look at chain gang forum tech tips for a lengthy discussion of clip, rivet master link or endless chain. Bob's carries both BMW and aftermarket chains and sprockets. You will probably need to call.

·
Registered
469 Posts
There seems to be some controversy over exactly how many links are in the chain but I want to say that the R and the GS do indeed use the same final drive chain, part # 33 83 8 566 489 which retails from BMW for about $117 US .

Here is a very good parts information resource for BMW motorcycles. It takes a little bit of practice to navigate and I suspect it works better with a PC than a smart phone or tablet but it works very well if you need to get a part number.

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx
I thought I read the GS was a "Z" ring and the R was an "O" ring?:surprise:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you everybody for your info. both models seem to use the same sprockets (which is absurd IMHO) but i am not sure about the length of the chain. yep the GS has a Z ring chain (i have no idea what Z ring means) and the R an O ring one. I plan to change the rear sprocket for a bigger one and thus i will need a longer chain as well.
cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts