BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had battery on a charger to rule out lack of power. We put starter fluid in the intake and it ignited in the intake. So I think it has enough spark.

Are these bikes sensitive to clogged fuel filters? It has very little milage but could have been sitting for a while.

Convinced it's either lack of fuel or timing.
Engine turns over fine but can't get it to fire even slightly.

·
Super Moderator
1,135 Posts
Cold start issue? Have you tried cranking it over for a bit longer and giving it a bit of revs?

How long have you had the bike?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We got it to start. Put the kickstand down and wiggled the kickstand sensor and it starts. Also thinking the fuel might be a little crappy as this bike has been sitting at a dealer for a while

·
Super Moderator
1,135 Posts
If there was a problem with the kickstand sensor, you wouldn't have been able to turn over the engine.

Fuel wise you want 95ron or higher, or whatever your equivalent is.

Pulling in the clutch in neutral can make a slight difference mechanically, particularly when the engine is cold.

the below doesn't seem to apply to you, but could apply to others reading this thread:

Also check to see if your clutch sensor is working correctly, this can cause an issue if the bike is in gear and you are trying to start it (can happen with after market clutch handle).

Kickstand sensor shouldn't be a problem if starting in neutral, you won't be able to start the bike in gear with the kickstand down. Make sure your kick stand isn't faulty, as it can turn off the engine if it is faulty.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Also for those reading this, the propstand switch connector is designed to be a water trap. It's worth sealing where the wires enter to prevent water ingress. If the male and female parts were then other way up it would be better as the female end is open end up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
BTW, recently my bike was dropped in muddy water and afterward was difficult to start. Usually requires no throttle but now it required a lot! Then it wouldn't fire at all. I suspected that the filter might be blocked and after removing the filter the bike started no problem. Of course a new filter was in order and quickly installed BUT.... it gets me thinking about all the reports of people needing to add throttle to get their bikes started. One tip might be to make sure the air filter is in good condition. I know some people will be insulted by this Captain Obvious statement but this bike might be very sensitive to slightly plugged filters. Who knows?

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts