BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SW Motech center stand for the 310GS. I bought this last week and at the weekend I installed it on the BMW 310R. It was only partially successful, and the bottom line is, no It doesn't work, unless you perform serious surgery. I'll go into why in a more detailed post if any ones' interested, but for now, Its for sale to all the GS users. It has a few installation scratches, and all the parts,with instructions.It's boxed back up in the original packing and box and its yours for half price.£80. P+P in Uk will be £6 extra and the EEC to be arranged ( I reckon about £10 - £14 obviously depends on the distance from the uk)
Payment Paypal.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
OEM centre stand

Have you noticed the BMW is now showing on some of their websites the centre stand with pricing within the accessories listing, BMW Australia told me they haven't received stock yet but germany says its getting ready to distribute, this also includes heated grips etc.

·
Registered
255 Posts
...and the bottom line is, no It doesn't work, unless you perform serious surgery.
That’s odd, Blackie. I installed my SW-Motech center stand last Friday, and it went on without a hitch. No surgery needed at all. :confused:

Edit: D’oh! I see now that you tried to install it on the R. Sorry, reading comprehension is not my strong suit.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
...It doesn't work, unless you perform serious surgery.
Other than shortening the legs, what did you find? I looked at both the GS and the R and the frame mounting points appeared to be identical - other than the GS being somewhat further from the ground than the R.

Enquiring minds, and all that..

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hammo

Is the BMW stand for the R or the GS?

Michael

Looking at a picture of the SWMoto stand, the legs are curved so simply cutting an inch out would not work.Also, after paying a couple of hundred dollars for a stand do you want to have to cut, insert a core, weld and then powder coat?

Bob

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
MichaelJ. Its not just the shortening of the legs, ( which is not as straight forward as you would imaging because if you look at the shape of the stand, the amount needed to be cut off , i.e not enough strait sections to cut out.) The main problem is the G310R chain roller. The center stand triangular piece (see pic)is supposed to slot in between the chain roller and the frame.The triangular piece i had was far too thick and would not even go in where it was supposed to.
I bypassed this and left it off.The stand fitted, and i even found another anchor point to attach the other end of the double spring, but the makeshift anchor point was not positioned in such a way to make the stand fold up correctly. Plus, obviously as the stand is for the GS which is higher than the R the legs of the stand were so long that it was not possible to lift it on to the stand. Also I may add, that when I installed this I used a garage pit.The bike was placed into position, left in gear, and the cross boards of the pit were carefully removed to gain access underneath. i mention this because when i had the stand fitted,I placed it in the fully down position and was able to see how much it hung down further, than the bottom of the tyres.The amount that needed to be cut out. was enough to tell me
it's not going to happen.Thats why its up for sale.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
Looking at a picture of the SWMoto stand, the legs are curved so simply cutting an inch out would not work.Also, after paying a couple of hundred dollars for a stand do you want to have to cut, insert a core, weld and then powder coat?
There's enough of a straight section so that the curved part wouldn't be an issue. As to whether or not it would be worth the cost, that would depend on how badly one wants a center stand and what other options there are.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The main problem is the G310R chain roller. The center stand triangular piece (see pic)is supposed to slot in between the chain roller and the frame.The triangular piece i had was far too thick and would not even go in where it was supposed to.
Ah - Motech's iteration is much more complex that the one I bought from Thailand. The Thai design pretty much copies BMW's design. (I found a BMW installation document on the web).

Sorry for the eye-straining background. My wife's fault. ;-)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Any one priced Advantec oil/filter for 310 ? guy on ebay has oil for £13 39 but no filter, I asked if he could get filter as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts