BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I saw a few notes about this on the R page, but since I have a GS I wanted to post my experience.
(This will be updated as I get more information)

Two days ago was the first time it was over 50 degrees and when I pulled the bike in at the end of the day I noticed 2 small drips underneath. I thought it was oil, it was slick like oil and didn't have a scent and on my garage floor it looked tanish. You can see in the pics the small amount and the leak on the bash plate.

Brought it in to my local dealer and they took it apart and couldn't find an oil leak. Ran it for a while and realized it was coolant coming from the seep hose. It is considered "normal" since it does have a seep hose but the question is how much is normal. The coolant level at full temperature is dead in the middle of high and low.

So I am going to watch the levels and for leaks, it if stops I'm good, if it keeps going, they need to replace the water pump. I've got 250 miles on it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
My 310 was very low on coolant when it was first delivered from the dealer. I had to add quite a bit when I happened to check after about 300 mikes. Which is to say that perhaps yours was over-filled when it was delivered to you and it ejected some excess. Long shot but thought I would share. Hope it's not a leak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine lost a little as well on a 50 mile ride back from the dealership, I would guess less than a tea spoon of coolant. Nothing to worry about

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've ridden another 100 miles or so, and about 30 higher speed (trying to keep up with my buddy on his Zero SR...) and it is still leaking, at the dealer it was dead in the middle of high and low and it is now at the low line. One theory was that it was over filled, which I had hoped, but it should stop seeping at the low level. I will continue to monitor and update.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So I saw a few notes about this on the R page, but since I have a GS I wanted to post my experience.
(This will be updated as I get more information)

Two days ago was the first time it was over 50 degrees and when I pulled the bike in at the end of the day I noticed 2 small drips underneath. I thought it was oil, it was slick like oil and didn't have a scent and on my garage floor it looked tanish. You can see in the pics the small amount and the leak on the bash plate.

Brought it in to my local dealer and they took it apart and couldn't find an oil leak. Ran it for a while and realized it was coolant coming from the seep hose. It is considered "normal" since it does have a seep hose but the question is how much is normal. The coolant level at full temperature is dead in the middle of high and low.

So I am going to watch the levels and for leaks, it if stops I'm good, if it keeps going, they need to replace the water pump. I've got 250 miles on it.

My gs coolant drips thru the drain pipe, after taking to the dealer, confirmed its waterpump need to be replaced. Odo only 800km. What a beamer.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Just a heads up when I took delivery of my GS310 the rad hose on the left side of the bike had a pretty good slice from the factory. Had to be replaced.
Who spotted that slice you or the tech doing the inspection prior to delivery?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Who spotted that slice you or the tech doing the inspection prior to delivery?
I discovered it, sadly. My service manager told me not to worry about it, as it was not creating a big puddle, just drips down the engine case. I took it to my own personal mechanic who took the bodywork off and found that slice in the hose. Had to have it brought to the dealer by BMW roadside assistance who wrenched the bars down so hard they bent the stock bars. The dealer then told me it was a 3 week backorder for the hose and I suggested that they take a hose off one of the 310's in the showroom, which they did. Had I wanted until the 1000 kms service like the service manager said, I might have bricked my engine!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am suspecting that the G310GS may be prone to water pump failure just like the 2000-2005 F650GS. During my traveling with 2001 F650GS, I had three water pump failures. First one in Prince George, Canada. Second one in Santiago Chile and again it failed after I left Ushuaia traveling north to Buenos Aires and stored my F650GS in Uruguay where it is right now.

I studied the part fiche of the G310GS and this became a concern for me. I inquired about that in G310GS thread over at the Advrider and no one replied. Now I find this thread and felt I should address this concern of mine as I can see similar design. It will be interesting to see if the G310GS will be prone to water pump failure or not. *knocking on wood*

Ok I will post the part and let you guys compare then decide if it is potential of flaw design??

G310GS (14-17):

F650GS (6):

I have found few "coolant leak" thread on this forum and I fear it could be what I am suspecting? I am interested to know where the seeping hole is?? I could not find it with the part fiche.

The BMW dealer in Raleigh has notified me today that they have G310GS in stock and they are holding it for me to come in in the morning to look at it. It will be 2 hours trip each way and while I am eager to buy it, I am concerned that water pump failure could be the problem with this model.. not something I will want to deal with and may find my G310GS on the market.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts