BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
well done, I've not done that one, but any off-road [& on-road] courses are great fun and well worth the time / money.
Have a great time..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well done, I've not done that one, but any off-road [& on-road] courses are great fun and well worth the time / money.
Have a great time..
Thanks Mate, I will let you know what I get out of the course!

·
Registered
296 Posts
During my 40 motorcycling years I have never been to a course, on or off road, without learning something useful. I have been participating both as pupil as well as teacher. At worst I have learnt something about teaching. At best I have learnt things that have saved my life. It's all in your attitude and willingness to learn. Go there with an open mind and have fun!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
During my 40 motorcycling years I have never been to a course, on or off road, without learning something useful. I have been participating both as pupil as well as teacher. At worst I have learnt something about teaching. At best I have learnt things that have saved my life. It's all in your attitude and willingness to learn. Go there with an open mind and have fun!
Thanks hasselman for your sage advise, like you i have been riding on and of for 40 plus years, and felt it was time to learn more to stay upright!

·
Registered
296 Posts
....felt it was time to learn more to stay upright!
That is a skill I still have to learn :ROFLMAO: I'm on my bikes No 16 and 17 and all but one has been of the lazy type. They have all layed down on one side or the other, some on both sides. The one that never fell, had a sidecar. Two I've totalled, but I've only been in one collision. When driving in winter with snow and ice, it's not a question if you fall, but when. After the collision two years ago, I had to promise my spouse to not winter drive any more. A tough decision :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Doing a two-day course with Black Swan Moto + the little GS at the end of this month in California. Very excited for it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Doing a two-day course with Black Swan Moto + the little GS at the end of this month in California. Very excited for it.
You'll have great fun, both during and after. It'll probably cost you a grand extra, in suspension upgrade after the course. You will find out why the G310GS is so cheap. But because it has so cheap suspension components, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to upgrade. On the big, real GS's, the suspension components cost almost as much as the complete G310GS.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
You'll have great fun, both during and after. It'll probably cost you a grand extra, in suspension upgrade after the course. You will find out why the G310GS is so cheap. But because it has so cheap suspension components, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to upgrade. On the big, real GS's, the suspension components cost almost as much as the complete G310GS.
Enjoy!
Oh, I've done the suspension upgrades already. Part of what drew me to the GS as a second bike was that I could pick up a 2019 pretty inexpensively and get to work on upgrading it immediately.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Use their bike if it’s an option! I went having only 500 miles under my belt (came from bicycle racing) so I wasn’t comfortable enough to fully benefit but I learned a ton and left there way better than I started!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,
I have entered myself into a Adventure Skills two day course!
Has any one done this course?

Thanks H
I was really excited about doing the course, then fell off before morning tea on day 1 and did my shoulder in! That was on a 1200 though; can't wait to take the 310 next time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Dmo,
I will let you know how the course goes as it, is on the 20th of February 2021.
Cheers H

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was really excited about doing the course, then fell off before morning tea on day 1 and did my shoulder in! That was on a 1200 though; can't wait to take the 310 next time.
Thanks Bob, I could well imagine falling of a 1200 would hurt with some 240kgs of weight. Interesting that you have both a 1200 and a 310 GS!
Cheers H

·
Registered
4 Posts
It did. Shoulder still sore over 12 months later. Only low speed; coming out of a muddy water crossing. Fell on my shoulder and back with a frightening thud. Didn't bounce a bit. The larger GS's are exceptional bikes. I've had 1200's and an 800, but they are IMO not trail bikes. The 310 is an awesome trail bike and a very decent road-tourer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Couldn't agree more. Same with me. 40+ years on bikes and was an instructor here in Australia (as a part-time job many years ago). I still do a couple of training courses a year (as a student) and love every minute of them. The BMW GS training is especially good. My next training course is at the start of the MotoTrekkin Ridge Ride in April. A day's training on dirt techniques followed by a 6 day ride from north of the Hunter Valley NSW to south of the Gold Coast QLD. So excited. It's going to be awesome, especially on the 'baby' GS.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Use their bike if it’s an option! I went having only 500 miles under my belt (came from bicycle racing) so I wasn’t comfortable enough to fully benefit but I learned a ton and left there way better than I started!
Hi RoadRash, rule number 1 is bring your own bike according to the trainers! I guess they don't want the responsibility if damage does happen.
I will let you know how it goes!
Couldn't agree more. Same with me. 40+ years on bikes and was an instructor here in Australia (as a part-time job many years ago). I still do a couple of training courses a year (as a student) and love every minute of them. The BMW GS training is especially good. My next training course is at the start of the MotoTrekkin Ridge Ride in April. A day's training on dirt techniques followed by a 6 day ride from north of the Hunter Valley NSW to south of the Gold Coast QLD. So excited. It's going to be awesome, especially on the 'baby' GS.
Hi BobC,

I have looked at the 2021 Moto Trekkin video for 2021 and the ride looks brilliant! Dam shame that I will be in Port Stephens NSW for a 60th birthday as I would have signed up for the ride. If you are going for a ride within the next week let me know.
Cheers H

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi RoadRash, rule number 1 is bring your own bike according to the trainers! I guess they don't want the responsibility if damage does happen.
I will let you know how it goes!

Hi BobC,

I have looked at the 2021 Moto Trekkin video for 2021 and the ride looks brilliant! Dam shame that I will be in Port Stephens NSW for a 60th birthday as I would have signed up for the ride. If you are going for a ride within the next week let me know.
Cheers H
The benefit of doing the course on your own bike is, you can get help adapting your bike to your own body measures and possible lacks of symmetry. Some people have for instance one arm slightly longer than the other, some have old njurys that force them to not sit cntered in the saddle. Many bikers, specially new ones, just accept and try to adapt to the bike instead of adapting the bike to the rider. The bike's set up is done bi the reseller, according to directions from the manufacturer. The purpose of the standard set-up is to make the bike look good in the show room, and to be fit-for-all. We are however all built differently and therefore need to adapt the bike to our own needs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi All,
I finally got to do the course last weekend at a property located at Rocksberg which is about one hour and twenty minutes north west of Brisbane. Chris Urquhart and Adam Schipper from GS Offroad training were amazing trainers with years of experience riding adventure bikes. The course was extremely well delivered and there were some great fundamentals that were learnt. The list is long, but here is what I did learn, clutch control, rear and back braking, uphill and downhill breaking and recovery, slowriding, where to stand correctly on your GS whilst riding, creek crossings. There is a lot more that was taught over the two days. The best news was that all of the training was delivered in the real world. You actually get to practice what you have been taught. Be prepared to fall of your bike as its all apart of the learning process, which includes how to correctly pick your bike up. To be honest, I really struggled with standard Metzeler Tourance tyres on the grass. I had incorrectly assumed that I was a reasonable rider, but when it came to grass and obviously average clutch control the back end just lost it. I am talking about being first gear and doing 18-20kph. I would highly recommend getting some tyres with a better grip. Amazingly no spills on the dirt and I can assure you there were some pretty dam hard single trails that were really suited for advanced riders. Would I recommend this two day to anyone, the answer is " When is the next one". Chris and Adam just nailed it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts