BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't care what the reviews say, the seat is NOT comfortable.
After an hour and a half on country highways it feels like my coccyx is separating from my body.
Ouch!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Irrespective of the bike/seat/bars/foot peg position - whatever - can I suggest a simple solution: stand up on the pegs occasionally.

Its cheaper than an aftermarket seat, can be used on any bike and you can't overdose on it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
There are several seat pads available that would fit the 310. I have a gel pad that makes my 310 R more comfortable on longer rides.

·
Registered
252 Posts
seatconcepts.com offers 2 foam/cover kits for the 310GS/R (standard seat height @ tall). The kits cost $179.99. I have not done this on my GS yet but will probably do so at some point in the future. I tried a Seat Concepts foam & cover kit for a Yamaha TW200 & WOW, what a difference. They make quality products based upon previous experience but you have to do the work of re-covering your OEM seat pan - it’s really not all that difficult. I also recommend if you do this to get the low slip top material with carbon fiber sides.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
you must be skinny with a bony butt. :grin2:
I can run through a full tank of fuel non stop in comfort. my CRF250L stock seat violated the Geneva treaty as a medieval torture device.
the seats on my ZRX1100 and SV1000N also uncomfortable. my CRF250L has a seat concepts seat on it, and while much better that the stock pain giver plank, it is still not a long ride seat. I have sergeant seats on my other bikes and the sergeant seat is very good.

the 310GS is the first stock seat other than my old 1980 Suzuki GS that is day long comfortable for me.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Unfortunately, Sargent Seats are not selling any products for the G310R/GS at this time. Yes, they make awesome seats too, have had them in the past... I have emailed them & asked if they have any future plans to produce seats and/or foam & cover kits for our bikes & am waiting on a response.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Received the following reply from Sargent...

Hello Larry

We do not make a seat for your gs310 , however we can modify your seat in
our Custom Seat Services Dept. You send us your seat with detailed
information on what you are wanting to have done, we redo the seat and send
it back to you. We can add our Super Cell Atomic Foam, and change the shape
of the foam for more comfort. I will enclose a link to our CSS dept.
Print out the order form, fill it out and send it in with your seat.
There is a lot of information on this page, it may help you get exactly
what you are looking for if you read over it. If you have any other
questions, please email, or call us at 1-800-749-7328.

http://www.sargentcycle.com/Custom-Seat-Services/

Kind Regards

Dane Higgins
Sales/Customer Service
[email protected]

PHONE: 904-354-4531
FAX: 904-354-7979
TOLL-FREE: 1-800-749-7328
www.sargentcycle.com

·
Registered
106 Posts
I personally don't have any problems with my seat. My longest ride in one day was 410 miles and my butt was still fine, I am quite skinny, light and bony, not sure if that helps or not...

·
Registered
4 Posts
originally I could only make a little over an hour on the 310gs - (220lb 72” ) before getting horrible pubic pain. I ended up getting an air hawk seat cushion which added about 1/2 hr of comfort. I then got some padded bicycling shorts which added another 1/2 hr of comfort. I noticed when I was standing up every 30-40 min doing gravel - I could go hours without pain - so I guess a combo of all 3 seemed to be my answer to this issue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The problem from us guys living outside the USA is freight costs.
Shipping our seats to and from your domestic companies kills the deal.
The Seat Concepts kit may be the bext compromise.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The problem from us guys living outside the USA is freight costs.
Shipping our seats to and from your domestic companies kills the deal.
The Seat Concepts kit may be the bext compromise.
USA has outrageous postage costs for so many things...I simply don't understand why! Europe is usually competitive, but getting pretty much anything from the States is a joke...

Seat Concepts works out to be (AUD) $265'ish, and postage is $90! :surprise:

Asides from the usual AirHawk's etc, what other options are available which aren't going to incinerate my wallet?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Additional foam

I put a 3d mesh seat cover on top of a stock seat. It made it much more comfortable. It is extreamly cheap, easy and effective mod.
I too have installed a 3d mesh cover which has improved things here being a hot climate.

I've also managed to add some additional foam through the port at the bottom of the seat (see attached photos). The foam is a cheap mod too, it needs to be slid towards the front of the seat using your fingers through the port but adds more comfort. I used 1 inch deep foam cut to 21X21 cm.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
I put a 3d mesh seat cover on top of a stock seat. It made it much more comfortable. It is extreamly cheap, easy and effective mod.
The 3D mesh cover is an excellent way of improving seat comfort.
It has 3 benefits.....1) its like a miniature spring mattress which helps to spread out any contact points between your butt and the seat.....2) It allows air to circulate around and underneath your butt which stops 'sweaty ***' syndrome, especially helpful for anyone similar to myself who rides in hot and humid tropical weather......3) When it rains it allows water to drain away and not collect in your crutch region.
In my view, one of the best investments I've ever made for seat comfort. You could if necessary add a thin foam pad between the mesh cover and the seat for extra comfort with the knowledge that it wouldn't try to slide off every time you move!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts