BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day fellas
Can anyone guide me through the installation of handlebar, the original oem bars got an threaded bush on inside,where the new one has not..also the original got an attached block which slides into the right hand cluster,and i don't know how to remove it cos it seems there is no bolts to loosen it...Have anyone change the bars themselves.....?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good day fellas
Can anyone guide me through the installation of handlebar, the original oem bars got an threaded bush on inside,where the new one has not..also the original got an attached block which slides into the right hand cluster,and i don't know how to remove it cos it seems there is no bolts to loosen it...Have anyone change the bars themselves.....?
Greetings-
* Okay, for starters, the factory bar-end weight anchors are all but impossible to remove. I just went through bar replacement a few days ago and decided to just go to amazon and order new ones for 7/8 bars. If I don't like the weights, I can still use the new anchors and install my original weights.
** Each cluster has 2 Phillips screws which are visible from underneath. You don't have to completely remove the screws, but you'll have to back them out considerably. On the throttle side, you'll have to push the whole cluster downward as you slide it out, as it has a positioning pin fixed to the lower half of the cluster. On the right side, you'll do the exact same thing, except backwards. The pin on the clutch side is on the top so you'll have to lift that cluster.
*** Remember that you will have to have your bars completely unclamped by the time you go to take your clusters off and it will be most helpful to have your mirrors removed before you start the entire progress. (Mirrors are first off and last on.)
**** HOLY HOLES! Now comes the only real tricky bit of the whole process. Once you remove your old bars, you need to drill holes in your new bars for both the left and right positioning pins. The old adage of "measure twice, cut once" should be used here. position your new bars on the bike (position, don't completely bolt down) so your clusters and levers will be properly positioned. Here is where you'll want to really slow down and take your time. You'll be glad you did in the end.
* From there, you just put everything back in place and torque down.
NOTE: When torquing your clamps, it's often a good idea not to over-tighten them. After all, if you have a minor fall or something like, it's good for the bars to be able to move as opposed to bend. Regardless of how much fun you're having, I don't think you want to relive this process on a monthly basis.

I hope this helped.

PS>
If you're still not sure, here's a video from the lads at RALLY RAID discussing the process.

-Cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greetings-
* Okay, for starters, the factory bar-end weight anchors are all but impossible to remove. I just went through bar replacement a few days ago and decided to just go to amazon and order new ones for 7/8 bars. If I don't like the weights, I can still use the new anchors and install my original weights.
** Each cluster has 2 Phillips screws which are visible from underneath. You don't have to completely remove the screws, but you'll have to back them out considerably. On the throttle side, you'll have to push the whole cluster downward as you slide it out, as it has a positioning pin fixed to the lower half of the cluster. On the right side, you'll do the exact same thing, except backwards. The pin on the clutch side is on the top so you'll have to lift that cluster.
*** Remember that you will have to have your bars completely unclamped by the time you go to take your clusters off and it will be most helpful to have your mirrors removed before you start the entire progress. (Mirrors are first off and last on.)
**** HOLY HOLES! Now comes the only real tricky bit of the whole process. Once you remove your old bars, you need to drill holes in your new bars for both the left and right positioning pins. The old adage of "measure twice, cut once" should be used here. position your new bars on the bike (position, don't completely bolt down) so your clusters and levers will be properly positioned. Here is where you'll want to really slow down and take your time. You'll be glad you did in the end.
* From there, you just put everything back in place and torque down.
NOTE: When torquing your clamps, it's often a good idea not to over-tighten them. After all, if you have a minor fall or something like, it's good for the bars to be able to move as opposed to bend. Regardless of how much fun you're having, I don't think you want to relive this process on a monthly basis.

I hope this helped.

PS>
If you're still not sure, here's a video from the lads at RALLY RAID discussing the process.

-Cheers
Good day
Thank you for advice,1st of all my new handlebar does not have the inner thread at the end of the bar...2ndly how do I remove that attachment on the right side which slides over cluster since i dont see any screws to remove it....

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts