BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have trouble to getting into 1st. You might wonder this is a old topic, why this guy just goes to the old threads and figure it out?

The problem for me is that I can go back and forth from 1st to Netural or Netural to 1st super smoothly when the engine is off, and gear indicator no problem at all. But when I turned on the engine, I cannot get into N or 1st anymore (This was right after I playing going back and forth between 1st and N when engine is off).

Sometime, I braked from high gear (6 or 5) to stop, I squeezed the clutch lever and kept step the gear lever, but I cannot step into 1st, the 1st gear is kinda like the gear lever has a keyway and gear lever is locked. I mostly will bend the lever first before getting into 1st (I am exggerating, but this is how I feels). But sometime, I can step into 1st without big effort. I feel like my clutch is like a girl sometime she does like to listen to me, sometime she was kinda say, plz leave me alone, get out! I adjust my gear lever, It is better now. Maybe it was my freeplay, my freeplay is around 6-7mm, becasue my hand is small. However, I have no issue in the past, this issue was happening recently near 4000miles

I saw old thread saying if I go from high gear to stop, I might need to squeeze the clutch lever each time for each downshift instead of squeezed the clutch and keep downshifting.

Any advice??? Meanwhile, I saw TVS Aparche 310 HAS sliper clutch for newer model. Does G310 has any sliper clutch on the aftermartket???

·
Registered
751 Posts
yes, your clutch cable is probably too loose. also if you have the adjustable clutch lever, you need to put it in the highest setting.

in some bikes, when going down through the gears, you need let the gear lever go fully up (lifting your foot), before going to the lower gear, or even releasing the clutch lever and pulling it back before pressing the gear lever. in my gs, the gears are really smooth.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, your clutch cable is probably too loose. also if you have the adjustable clutch lever, you need to put it in the highest setting.

in some bikes, when going down through the gears, you need let the gear lever go fully up (lifting your foot), before going to the lower gear, or even releasing the clutch lever and pulling it back before pressing the gear lever. in my gs, the gears are really smooth.
YES, TOO LOOSE. It seems the problem is solved.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The cable will stretch over time, causing more freeplay, and should be checked periodically. If the clutch isn't fully disengaging, it can make shifting gears difficult and cause premature clutch wear. If you have short fingers you may want to invest in an adjustable lever.

Another thing to consider is that a lot of motorcycles need to be rolling to shift gears, and my 310gs is no exception. If I miss a shift and end up in 2nd at a traffic light, or accidentally park the bike in N, it can be **** downshifting into 1st. Rolling the bike forward or backward while hitting the shift lever helps. I have the same problem with my V-Strom 650.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cable will stretch over time, causing more freeplay, and should be checked periodically. If the clutch isn't fully disengaging, it can make shifting gears difficult and cause premature clutch wear. If you have short fingers you may want to invest in an adjustable lever.

Another thing to consider is that a lot of motorcycles need to be rolling to shift gears, and my 310gs is no exception. If I miss a shift and end up in 2nd at a traffic light, or accidentally park the bike in N, it can be **** downshifting into 1st. Rolling the bike forward or backward while hitting the shift lever helps. I have the same problem with my V-Strom 650.
My hand was too small, even with puig lever. I used to tuned the lever to level 2 with a "fair" freeplay. I thought 6mm freeplay is good enough, but it seems like it is the main cause of the problem. Now I adjust the free play to 2.xxmm and rotate the lever up a little bit, changing gear is way much better now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts