BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Jimmyjuicyjuice,
in the first place, welcome to the forum.
Hope you will find some interesting info on your G310 BMW.
For our 'statistics', please fill in the demographic thread and the 'were are you from' thread.
Then we know whom we are talking too ;-)

·
Registered
909 Posts
and ................ no !
I don't know how too remove the baffle from the stock exhaust because I do not have any interest in removing the baffle.
First, I don't like the (extra) noise when I'm riding long distances
Second, I love my neighbours
and third, it's illegal in my country and the fines are 'sky high' (and I have to buy a new stock exhaust !!!)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Even an aftermarket exhaust gains maybe at the most 1.7 HP gain and they cost allot. Removing the baffle will likely really only make it unbearably loud and little gain on HP. These are single piston bikes, so HP gain it very expensive for little gain.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Has anyone tried removing the baffle from the stock exhaust? Thanks
I took off the end cap of the exhaust, and it appears to be welded in. Perhaps with a small grinder you could cut
the weld and slide it out. Or perhaps a dremel with a metal disc would do it neater.

·
Registered
469 Posts
But my Akrapovic is lighter, looks better and sounds better than the the huge stock can.
I agree, but it's so **** expensive.:frown2:
Almost 20% of the price of the whole bike.:surprise:

·
Registered
82 Posts
My Two Cents on Exhaust Systems

If you are concerned about warranty ( and you should be ), I would recommend checking with BMW to get the details about installing the after market Akrapovic exhaust system.

As for removing the baffle from the stock exhaust system, beware that if you leave it that way long term, you can create problems for the oxygen sensor and the entire system as well because the change in exhaust flow also requires a change in the fuel injection mapping for mixture control. This could very well invalidate your warranty so in my humble opinion, you should not mess with the stock exhaust system! It is not worth the warranty risk and all the bother of trying to get the fuel injection sorted out for what may well be no significant change in power output.

Just Sayin!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Akrapovic is the only company that BMW will continue to honor for warranties. All others can be just cause
to not honor under warranty if it is proved to be the cause of the problem. O2 sensor, valves, fueling, ECU, etc.
Having said all that, I ran a non approved slip on muffler (Leo Vince) on my K1200 GT, never an issue.
Most modern ECU's can self adjust modest changes to exhaust back pressures. I doubt that removing the
baffle will change much other than a little noise difference.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Akrapovic is the only company that BMW will continue to honor for warranties. All others can be just cause
to not honor under warranty if it is proved to be the cause of the problem. O2 sensor, valves, fueling, ECU, etc.
Having said all that, I ran a non approved slip on muffler (Leo Vince) on my K1200 GT, never an issue.
Most modern ECU's can self adjust modest changes to exhaust back pressures. I doubt that removing the
baffle will change much other than a little noise difference.
When I went to the INX motorcycle show I asked the BMW tech there about BMW honoring the warranty with a new exhaust. I was told he would get back to me. I'll probably reach out to BMW directly as well too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
and ................ no !
I don't know how too remove the baffle from the stock exhaust because I do not have any interest in removing the baffle.
First, I don't like the (extra) noise when I'm riding long distances
Second, I love my neighbours
and third, it's illegal in my country and the fines are 'sky high' (and I have to buy a new stock exhaust !!!)
This response was a waste of time. Please - don't contribute to the forum unless it helps someone. Noone asked your opinions on how much better and more mature you are than some others. I don't have neighbors and ride remote mountains - you will never be annoyed by my exhaust note. Curious about the baffle removal even though I have an exhaust system. Here to learn everything there is to learn about this baby.

Is anyone here not at all interested in the warranty? I have a few bikes worth worrying about. Most of them have gearboxes or motors costing more than the entire G310R I now have and love so much.

I want to mod it any way I like and just don't care about the warranty. This care-free attitude is the main reason I bought this bike.

So, anyone have a response not tied to the warranty? Just about the facts of the inside of the stock muffler?

·
Super Moderator
895 Posts
This response was a waste of time. Please - don't contribute to the forum unless it helps someone. Noone asked your opinions on how much better and more mature you are than some others. I don't have neighbors and ride remote mountains - you will never be annoyed by my exhaust note. Curious about the baffle removal even though I have an exhaust system. Here to learn everything there is to learn about this baby.

Is anyone here not at all interested in the warranty? I have a few bikes worth worrying about. Most of them have gearboxes or motors costing more than the entire G310R I now have and love so much.

I want to mod it any way I like and just don't care about the warranty. This care-free attitude is the main reason I bought this bike.

So, anyone have a response not tied to the warranty? Just about the facts of the inside of the stock muffler?

Not a total waste of time, we know that such modifications are illegal in the Netherlands and can attract huge fines, this would get others to check out their regulations, and, like you try to find others that have done it to see how much the noise increases. English is not everyone's first language, so best to read other's posts in a positive light. I did see a video on youtube of a G310r with an akra with the baffles removed.

PS Welcome to the forum, if I come across any videos of G310's with baffles removed I'll let you know :)

·
Registered
469 Posts

So....how much of your time was wasted reading a senior members response? 10-15 seconds?
Not all responses in threads have THE answer, but all are entitled to their opinions.
As previously mentioned, the baffle has a small weld around the circumference. I am pretty sure it could be ground out.
I have a brand new GS muffler if you want to buy it and try.:grin2:
I put on the Remus high pipe, love it!
Pretty loud for a thumper and that's with the baffle in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can't help but be curious. Someone out there will buy a stock exhaust with a 'bafflectomy' and that's the only way I'll get the stock exhaust off my shelf:)

I also went with the high pipe = good taste sir

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi All,

Just regarding the exhaust.

I was informed that any exhaust change will void the warranty. Unless the exhaust or exhaust system is sold at the BMW dealership the warranty will be voided. This also goes for any accessory added that is not approved and may cause mechanical failure i.e. radiator guards, exhausts etc.

Conclusion from this is that while the bike is less than 2 years old and one wants to change things, do things such as tail tidy, rim stickers (if one wants), bar end mirrors etc but avoid anything mechanical.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts