BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hazard Warning Lights?? 4-Way Flashers?? Emergency Lights?? Whatever you choose to call them... Guess it doesn't matter because they don't exist on our BMW G 310 GS. My first question is why not have them on the bike from the factory? Seems to be a fairly low cost for a potential high safety feature. I'm all about being seen and will be adding the Admore (or similiar) LED running lights and turn indicators to my Givi topcase and on my Barkbuster hand guards over the winter months. While I'm at it I was considering adding (if possible) the ability to have hazard warning lights to the bike. Wondering if anyone has done this before and if so if you would have info on how to to install/wire. Thanks.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Haven’t done anything like that before but ..... I’m interested too.
I wondered too why such a safety issue isn’t standard.
Keep me updated 👍

·
Registered
132 Posts
you could put a train headlight on the back of your bike and it wont work because the mindless morons are staring down at the multi function mind control device in their lap and will never see the lights on your bike.

I have a admore lighting light bar mounted to the rack on the back of my ZRX1100 and got rear ended.

it might be possible to wire in a switch and diodes to allow you to have four way flashers but the flasher function on these bikes is integrated into the instrument pod and likely wont tolerate doubling the load on it.

I mounted a Denali B6 auxiliary license plate brake light on my GS. it is crazy bright.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I found a thread in Japanese anonymous BBS that an R owner had his dealer mechanic retrofit a switch for hazard flasher. He said that It was working fine, but there was a limit. When the hazard switch is activated with turn signal is on, the left and right indicators blink alternatively.

I noticed that the 4-way hazard flasher can be achievable by retrofitting an additional switch. However, since BBS is anonymous, there is no way to send PM to him or prove it is true.

If I had gain access to the wiring diagram, I will be able to do that modification by myself with confidence, but I have not enough passion to tweak the actual harness right now...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have never seen flashers (Hazard) on a motorcycle. Do not really need them as they don't take up a whole lane like a car. Just put on the turn signal. You can't necessarily get a car off the road but you can a bike. Turn signal should be enough.

Maybe ask motorcycle manufacturer council to consider adding to large bikes like tourers.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Harley Davidson has included emergency flashers on their bikes for quite some time. Even a Sportster I had for a while...

·
Registered
24 Posts
you could put a train headlight on the back of your bike and it wont work because the mindless morons are staring down at the multi function mind control device in their lap and will never see the lights on your bike.

I have a admore lighting light bar mounted to the rack on the back of my ZRX1100 and got rear ended.

it might be possible to wire in a switch and diodes to allow you to have four way flashers but the flasher function on these bikes is integrated into the instrument pod and likely wont tolerate doubling the load on it.

I mounted a Denali B6 auxiliary license plate brake light on my GS. it is crazy bright.
Agree 100%. Many years ago when the idea of running your motorcycle with headlights on at all times, this subject came up in one of the motorcycle mags I used to read. I will always remember a post from a truck driver, which basically said, I drive an 18 wheeler, it is 28 feet long, 8 ft wide and 10 feet tall. It has 12 lights on the front, 6 lights on the back and 10 lights along each side. It is painted in fluorescent colours, red, green and yellow........and still motorists pull out in front of me and say they never saw me, so what chance do you motorcyclists think you have by running with your headlights on? Still true today.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Harley Davidson has included emergency flashers on their bikes for quite some time. Even a Sportster I had for a while...
It works on Harleys as they have a separate switch for each side turn signal, hence all you have to do is to switch them both on using both switches.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It works on Harleys as they have a separate switch for each side turn signal, hence all you have to do is to switch them both on using both switches.
On my 2014 Sporty it had a separate little switch above the Start button. Holding both switches didn’t work. My 2010 Streetglide worked like you stated though. Things change...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have never seen flashers (Hazard) on a motorcycle. Do not really need them as they don't take up a whole lane like a car. Just put on the turn signal. You can't necessarily get a car off the road but you can a bike. Turn signal should be enough.

Maybe ask motorcycle manufacturer council to consider adding to large bikes like tourers.
Sorry totally disagree, most of my late bikes had hazard lights, I a too was shocked to see that left off the G310's I live on the outskirts of Tokyo and hazard as a must!! putting on an indicator and parking to the side will lead to confusion.

Reactions: G0MYW

·
Registered
56 Posts
Agree 100%. Many years ago when the idea of running your motorcycle with headlights on at all times, this subject came up in one of the motorcycle mags I used to read. I will always remember a post from a truck driver, which basically said, I drive an 18 wheeler, it is 28 feet long, 8 ft wide and 10 feet tall. It has 12 lights on the front, 6 lights on the back and 10 lights along each side. It is painted in fluorescent colours, red, green and yellow........and still motorists pull out in front of me and say they never saw me, so what chance do you motorcyclists think you have by running with your headlights on? Still true today.
I think this thread is about HAZARD lights all four indicators flashing at once, to be used in emergency situations or when stopped in, shall we say usual places etc... I tend to use mine when I am lane splitting heading into Tokyo in grid lock traffic, just to make myself more visible along with many more bikes.....

·
Registered
748 Posts
I can live without hazard lights, but this is just wrong that bwm did not install them on the 310. it is a basic security feature. if something is wrong with the bike and you need to ride slow, this gives warning to the other drivers to be more cautious.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2005 R1200 RT has emergency flashers from factory, plus I install Skene Design high frequency flickering LED,s with the control module, yellow ones on the front, red on the back. I agree the real problem is the mindless cagers with cell phones.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There are two ways to go about this:

1. Install the kit from Komy - https://2allbuyer.com/Hazard-System-C331159.aspx?sid=35045

2-A. Install the Skeene P3 conspicuity lights with their Photon Blasters.

2-B. Install the Skeene P3 conspicuity lights with their Photon Blasters and hook it into your turn signals(which will also inherit the conspicuity flicker from the Skeene controller.

Note - (1.)you will need LED turn signals for this to work.
(2.)If you use the kit from Komy, trash the switch and get a better quality one.

Alternate:
If you do not want to change out your turn signals for LED ones, simply replace the flasher unit in the Komy kit with a flasher that works for regular bulbs.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with some of you and disagree with others on this. Lights do work but it needs to be of a specific type. You can't just put on any light; it doesn't matter how bright it is. People and cars will not see you because their brain is not trained for it. You have to use strobing LED lights. I know that it works because I have had cops and other people either complained about it or asked me why do I have it.
For the front facing, I installed a white 950 lumen LED strobing bicycle light. Even distracted drivers will notice this light from at least a quarter mile away. You have to be blind not to see this strobing light. With this light, the only way that an oncoming left turn car will turn right in front of me is that it was on purpose.

For the rear, I installed a smaller LED but red strobing bicycle light.

Both have significantly improved my survivability during commutes.

With my lights during commutes, I feel like Moses and the Red Sea.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I realize this thread is old but I just got home to New Jersey from my ride buying a G310R in Minnesota. Yesterday, for the last 200 miles, it was raining with some of the thickest fog I've experienced (the thick stuff came up suddenly).

I was really wishing for hazard lights -- it's disappointing this new bike doesn't have them. Both my 2007 Harley Sportster and my 1993 K75RT have them. I had assumed by the early 2000s, it became a standard.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have never seen flashers (Hazard) on a motorcycle. .

Not sure where you've been looking at bikes. Probably the grate US of A only?

I have had hazard lights on some of my bikes: 4 super teneres, 3 FJRs, a few other random Yamahas, a half a dozen scooters, 3 non-310 BMWs, Hondas - a handful, Kawasaki Versys times 2, Vulcan times one, Ninja 300 times 2, crikey even Triumph Tigers - these have all had hazard lights.

Harleys with hazard lights would be an excellent idea, whether broken down on the side of the road as usual, or in the all-too-familiar 'hitchin a ride on the back of a pick-up' mode.

Tapping into the bike's electricals with some diode magic may be possible, but may be troublesome.

There is a simpler way. You could carefully ride down to your local bike/auto store and buy 4 orange indicator lights that would fit where you want them to fit, a couple of metres (like yards, only 10% longer) of wires, a few simple connectors, a flasher relay (ask the dude behind the counter) and a waterproof switch. Hazard lights are very frequently associated with rain.

Do it yourself hazard lights.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ignoring your "grate US of A" comment...

Your Harley comment only reveals your utter ignorance and inexperience with motorcycles. And your tone? It sucks. Yes, even Americans know the metric system so no need to be condescending. Consider an apology for your incredibly unwarranted generalizations.

Not sure where you've been looking at bikes. Probably the grate US of A only?

I have had hazard lights on some of my bikes: 4 super teneres, 3 FJRs, a few other random Yamahas, a half a dozen scooters, 3 non-310 BMWs, Hondas - a handful, Kawasaki Versys times 2, Vulcan times one, Ninja 300 times 2, crikey even Triumph Tigers - these have all had hazard lights.

Harleys with hazard lights would be an excellent idea, whether broken down on the side of the road as usual, or in the all-too-familiar 'hitchin a ride on the back of a pick-up' mode.

Tapping into the bike's electricals with some diode magic may be possible, but may be troublesome.

There is a simpler way. You could carefully ride down to your local bike/auto store and buy 4 orange indicator lights that would fit where you want them to fit, a couple of metres (like yards, only 10% longer) of wires, a few simple connectors, a flasher relay (ask the dude behind the counter) and a waterproof switch. Hazard lights are very frequently associated with rain.

Do it yourself hazard lights.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ignoring your "grate US of A" comment...

Your Harley comment only reveals your utter ignorance and inexperience with motorcycles. And your tone? It sucks. Yes, even Americans know the metric system so no need to be condescending. Consider an apology for your incredibly unwarranted generalizations.

Ignoring your "utter ignorance and inexperience with motorcycles".

Ok, I'm so sorry I upset you with my generalisations about Americans and the metric system. And I realise that America is not alone. Neither Myanmar nor Liberia use the metric system, although every other country outside the big, beautiful wall use the metric system.

I know that some Americans have made some progress with some understanding of the metric system. Perhaps there has been insufficient time since the introduction of the Metric Conversion Act in 1975 for the majority to have gleaned any understanding however.

Here's some Americans in action to illustrate my point.

I think that "incredibly unwarranted" is a little strong, though.

Anyway, lighten up. Its a thread about hazard lights and I posted up how to fit them.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts