BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
Ignoring your "utter ignorance and inexperience with motorcycles".

Ok, I'm so sorry I upset you with my generalisations about Americans and the metric system. And I realise that America is not alone. Neither Myanmar nor Liberia use the metric system, although every other country outside the big, beautiful wall use the metric system.

I know that some Americans have made some progress with some understanding of the metric system. Perhaps there has been insufficient time since the introduction of the Metric Conversion Act in 1975 for the majority to have gleaned any understanding however.

Here's some Americans in action to illustrate my point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjCaRS-CABk

I think that "incredibly unwarranted" is a little strong, though.

Anyway, lighten up. Its a thread about hazard lights and I posted up how to fit them.
Interesting, didn't know that the metric system was the the preferred system of weights and measures for United States trade and commerce by law!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Interesting, didn't know that the metric system was the the preferred system of weights and measures for United States trade and commerce by law!
The metric system is in wide use in America despite comments of ignorant bigots. It has been taught in public schools for more than 40 years, it's the default system in nearly all areas of science and engineering. ALL of my tools are metric.

Signage is not metric except near borders where it is often duplicated. Use of the metric system has been legislated in the US as well and there have been campaigns to try and complete the switch but they consistently meet with conservative obstruction.

The reality is there's no real need to convert at this time, at least nothing that would justify the cost. l do personally prefer MPH to KMh especially considering talking about vehicle speeds and their relative differences.

Also the lack of a step between centimeter and meter that you have with a 12" foot makes things awkward. Saying someone is 5 or 6 feet tall is informative and can offer adequate precision 1 or 2 meters doesn't, and you need more significant places with cm. You can chalk that up as a trifle but it does come up frequently.

As an aside, use of the metric system is one of the reasons i have been reluctant to vacation in Australia. I WILL get done for speeding there.. I regularly do more than 85MPH on the interstate and no one thinks anything of it here. In Australia, if I'm not mistaken that speed is an automatic 5+ points and an immediate license suspension. As a foreign national I'd probably be executed on the spot.

What does that have to do with the metric system? it's the inferred greater precision, it means you hit increasing increments in penalties sooner. I don't want to be worrying about 6mph speed increments on a motorcycle that can hit 60mph in 2 seconds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You post what appears to be a truly ridiculous video slamming 350 million people...

You are purposefully sarcastic about my country...

You compare this country to Myanmar and Liberia...(yeah, even in the current status, that is just being a jerk).

But you want me to lighten up? I'm not slamming you, man. I'm not slamming your country. I'm not slamming your bikes. I have absolutely no desire to do so.

So lightening up. Ok! Got it.

And no, please don't ignore the "utter ignorance" that you displayed. That was your choice to do so. If you think Harleys are typically broken down on the side of the road or in pick up trucks, I'm sorry but that is flat out ignorance. As is your blanket sarcasm about this country.

Your tone still sucks. You really don't have to continue like that.

Ignoring your "utter ignorance and inexperience with motorcycles".

Ok, I'm so sorry I upset you with my generalisations about Americans and the metric system. And I realise that America is not alone. Neither Myanmar nor Liberia use the metric system, although every other country outside the big, beautiful wall use the metric system.

I know that some Americans have made some progress with some understanding of the metric system. Perhaps there has been insufficient time since the introduction of the Metric Conversion Act in 1975 for the majority to have gleaned any understanding however.

Here's some Americans in action to illustrate my point.

I think that "incredibly unwarranted" is a little strong, though.

Anyway, lighten up. Its a thread about hazard lights and I posted up how to fit them.

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
The metric system is in wide use in America despite comments of ignorant bigots. It has been taught in public schools for more than 40 years, it's the default system in nearly all areas of science and engineering. ALL of my tools are metric.

Signage is not metric except near borders where it is often duplicated. Use of the metric system has been legislated in the US as well and there have been campaigns to try and complete the switch but they consistently meet with conservative obstruction.

The reality is there's no real need to convert at this time, at least nothing that would justify the cost. l do personally prefer MPH to KMh especially considering talking about vehicle speeds and their relative differences.

Also the lack of a step between centimeter and meter that you have with a 12" foot makes things awkward. Saying someone is 5 or 6 feet tall is informative and can offer adequate precision 1 or 2 meters doesn't, and you need more significant places with cm. You can chalk that up as a trifle but it does come up frequently.

As an aside, use of the metric system is one of the reasons i have been reluctant to vacation in Australia. I WILL get done for speeding there.. I regularly do more than 85MPH on the interstate and no one thinks anything of it here. In Australia, if I'm not mistaken that speed is an automatic 5+ points and an immediate license suspension. As a foreign national I'd probably be executed on the spot.

What does that have to do with the metric system? it's the inferred greater precision, it means you hit increasing increments in penalties sooner. I don't want to be worrying about 6mph speed increments on a motorcycle that can hit 60mph in 2 seconds.
It all comes down to what you're used to :wink2:

There is a decimeter between centimeter and meter, but hardly anyone uses that.

Don't worry about coming to Australia, you get to drive 100-110 on the highway (in km/h of course). The cutoff for a fine is usually 10%, but if you're paying attention, you shouldn't get done. This however has nothing to do with the metric system, take Germany for example, no speed limits on some of their highways, and very lenient speeding fines. If you did get caught as a foreigner going that fast in Australia, you'd probably just get a huge fine.

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
You post what appears to be a truly ridiculous video slamming 350 million people...

You are purposefully sarcastic about my country...

You compare this country to Myanmar and Liberia...(yeah, even in the current status, that is just being a jerk).

But you want me to lighten up? I'm not slamming you, man. I'm not slamming your country. I'm not slamming your bikes. I have absolutely no desire to do so.

So lightening up. Ok! Got it.

And no, please don't ignore the "utter ignorance" that you displayed. That was your choice to do so. If you think Harleys are typically broken down on the side of the road or in pick up trucks, I'm sorry but that is flat out ignorance. As is your blanket sarcasm about this country.

Your tone still sucks. You really don't have to continue like that.
Ok, this is getting blown out of proportion, let's tone it down a bit.

That being said, the comparison to Myanmar and Liberia was factual, not a jerk move: The United States, Liberia, and Myanmar are the only countries in the world that have not fully implemented the metric measurement system.

I, and I hope most others here don't have any problem with what units you are comfortable with. I always try to include conversions for speed and consumption to make it easier for everyone on this forum.

Maybe it's a misunderstanding of some good natured Australian ribbing. Heℓℓ, this is a country that uses 'Cūnt' as a term of endearment, and 'Fūck' is allowed to be used in a court of law.

As they say in Australia "get the fūck over it and let's have a beer cūnt". (please note, this is not an insult in any way)

·
Registered
19 Posts
No worries, it has toned down. And no need for explanations. Yes, Americans travel, too. I have friends in Australia. As such, it is easy to see the difference between regional humor and dick-ish behavior. And that, too, is what it is.

And yeah -- that's us. Right there culturally. Not jerk-like at all. You got us. But if you come to the U.S., you'll see that all of our weights and measures are metric. Our distance and height measurements are not, despite that I would prefer they were. It's not a huge deal at the moment, though. We have more pressing concerns.

And...I'm not a huge beer guy, but I really do love your beer. I think Australia is a great place, with exceptional people. I've certainly lived and traveled long and far enough to know that by no means do people in other nations think the same about us. And rarely does it provoke a reaction -- what would be the point? But sometimes, it tips just enough on the really non-humor dick-ish scale to deserve one.

And...if it is really necessary to defend the guy with the Harley crap, among huge other crap (and obvious nationalistic issues)... at least suggest he get some new material. That is some old, worn out crap.

If nothing else, we have some messed up politics in common sometimes. Among a ton of other things (among which are some dick-ishness in some people -- and in this case, I just don't see the reason for it).

I really wanted to find a discussion on the G310R not having hazard lights. I could have used them a few days ago.

Ok, this is getting blown out of proportion, let's tone it down a bit.

That being said, the comparison to Myanmar and Liberia was factual, not a jerk move: The United States, Liberia, and Myanmar are the only countries in the world that have not fully implemented the metric measurement system.

I, and I hope most others here don't have any problem with what units you are comfortable with. I always try to include conversions for speed and consumption to make it easier for everyone on this forum.

Maybe it's a misunderstanding of some good natured Australian ribbing. Heℓℓ, this is a country that uses 'Cūnt' as a term of endearment, and 'Fūck' is allowed to be used in a court of law.

As they say in Australia "get the fūck over it and let's have a beer cūnt". (please note, this is not an insult in any way)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh! Last thing. My Harley Davidson Sportster / Roadster?

It's a 1200cc -- it says that right on the side of the bike! I don't even know what that is in cubic inches! WTF! And it has never been broken down on the side of the road, nor in a pickup truck, after many thousands of miles. It's one **** of a nice and extremely well built and reliable bike. But this isn't the forum for that, of course.

I appreciate you trying to keep things in check, Porth. Would still be nice if the G310R had hazard lights. I don't really want the orange lights the "auto parts dude" (LOL) suggested.

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
Oh! Last thing. My Harley Davidson Sportster / Roadster?

It's a 1200cc -- it says that right on the side of the bike! I don't even know what that is in cubic inches! WTF! And it has never been broken down on the side of the road, nor in a pickup truck, after many thousands of miles. It's one **** of a nice and extremely well built and reliable bike. But this isn't the forum for that, of course.

I appreciate you trying to keep things in check, Porth. Would still be nice if the G310R had hazard lights. I don't really want the orange lights the "auto parts dude" (LOL) suggested.
Also love a nice Harley!

Would be great to get a handle bar controller from one of the larger BMW bikes (and the required wiring) to enable the indicators to be used as hazard lights. This would also be great on the other side for switching on/off heated grips instead of the centrally located switch that BMW provides.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It all comes down to what you're used to /forum/images/G310Rforum/smilies/tango_face_wink.png

There is a decimeter between centimeter and meter, but hardly anyone uses that.

Don't worry about coming to Australia, you get to drive 100-110 on the highway (in km/h of course). The cutoff for a fine is usually 10%, but if you're paying attention, you shouldn't get done. This however has nothing to do with the metric system, take Germany for example, no speed limits on some of their highways, and very lenient speeding fines. If you did get caught as a foreigner going that fast in Australia, you'd probably just get a huge fine.
Yeah I'll never be used to that slow. Ride a liter sportbike through Angeles Crest a few times and try go back. No one has caught me on my blade.

yeah 120ks is 75mph, I'm going to be in steel bracelets for sure. I've spent more hours at triple mph digits on my ST..

Start using decimeter in everyday conversation. 😁

you completely missed my point about the finer increments with measuring speed in Km.

I've ridden in Germany, I bingod the tank on a K12RS in just over an hour on the autobahn. I got done for speeding outside Munich on a b road and let off after a long friendly conversation at the end of which he apologized for causing me delay!

Won't ride in Switzerland they're even more Draconian than the Aussies.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Like the late Justine Damond was shot by a 'Merican pohleese officer after calling 9-1-1 for help?

Farking 'mericans
I grew up in rural Minnesota (left 30 years ago). Police officers have a tough job in this country for a number of problematic reasons. Most have earned support.

But there is nothing, OX-34, absolutely nothing good that could be said about what happened to her. Obviously, it should never have happened -- it should never have been imaginable. Certainly not in Minnesota (that I knew, anyway). I don't even know what to say in that it did. I didn't know the woman but ****, I wish it hadn't happened. There is literally nothing good to say. Nothing I can say that would matter.

I think this has stretched well beyond the limits of this board. If you hate Americans, I'm sorry. I wish you didn't. Most cops are good people, as are most Americans. Believe it or not.

And the G310R still needs a clean solution to hazard lights.

·
Registered
19 Posts
He's good, Porth. As are you for refereeing. Thanks.

We'd need a factory-looking switch and a new relay. Something clean. Perhaps we could get BMW to do an upgrade, along with LEDs. Of course that would probably cost more than the bike did. Beyond that, I just used my left blinker, hoping it could be seen in thick fog. I've only used hazards once, on my K75, that was for a side-of-the-road luggage issue. I like knowing they are there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As a foreign national I'd probably be executed on the spot.

Like the late Justine Damond was shot by a 'Merican pohleese officer after calling 9-1-1 for help?

Farking 'mericans
You're a fucking ignorant moronic jackass.
perhaps you can't comprehend that 350million people may not be all the same. I actually travel and familiarize myself with local laws as my exchange with porth covered.

you're a worthless piece of **** and should be banned

you have nothing constructive to offer but banal epithets probably to compensate for whatever deep rooted insecurities that drive you to try to be some kind of keyboard hero on the internet.

You'd change your tune in a heartbeat in person.

you're a shitstain on this forum.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Prior to this thread I have been nothing but helpful and courteous on this forum.

My contributions have been technical, first hand and on topic.

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
Ok, I think we can all agree that none of this would have happened in person. It's easy for things to escalate out of control when it's only written on a screen.

To keep the peace I'm just going to delete any further messages that are off topic in this thread.

·
Registered
46 Posts
On topic, I did get a bunch of connectors for the accessory power port behind the headlight/cluster. Unfortunately my pinning kit was stolen so i can't do anything with them at the moment.

However if there was enough interest I could kit up some accessories including a plug and play hazard switch and usb power ports. I'd have to get some female connectors for the plug and play Y connections into the indicators but i believe i saw them in the mouser catalog when I ordered.

I'd need to know demand and what people would be willing to pay? I almost only come here when I'm free and on my phone so i don't know if a poll could be done?

3 options I see:

plug and play dual USB 3amp (total) power ports. I see no reason to do a single port given the negligible cost difference and a little redundancy if nothing else is probably a good idea. This is the connector wired with usb outlet and mount.
$25

plug and play hazard switch. Includes all connectors, harness wired up, digital blinker and a switch. It'll work happily with your LEDs. This will not correct the fast blink when signaling! but hazards would work normally.
$40

plug and play hazard switch plus usb.
$55

Pricing are rough guestimates in USD based on what i remember of component prices and yes I would also expect to make a little money for my time. I've done this kind of thing before and it's been personally satisfying but support, communication, and packing and shipping take a surprising amount of time.

It would also be helpful to know what people want for a switch. I personally like the idea of a flush push button on top of the headlight cowl in the smooth area between the R and the cluster. I'd have to double check for depth/space back there, it would be a convenient spot and I'd think look almost factory. I would supply a waterproof switch, you would have to make a hole for it.

I am open to ideas/suggestions on any of the above.

For the record, I am exactly the same in person.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I realize now i was referencing the G310R (which i own), I would have to doublecheck GS differences but apart from the switch mount I don't anticipate much

And with the plug and play solution, should a programatic solution become available you could easily revert with no trace, except for the switch, which even the programatic solution would probably still need..

All of this is dependant on hearing what people want.

I could also potentially add load resistors to fix fast blink to the hazard switch kit. However I am reluctant to do this as you would absolutely have to mount the resistors outside the cowl or you'd put out way too much heat back in there.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts