BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I tried posting this before but it got hung up in the approval process so I'm re-posting this. I am having a lot of difficulty removing the headlight on my 310GS. I've disconnected the headlight and parking light and removed the two mounting/adjusting screws. I've tried jiggling, jostling, yanking, pulling and a whole lot of swearing, all to no avail. I've also reviewed any relevant threads but I still haven't seen anything that points me in the right direction. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Technically, you're suppose to remove all the plastic fairings to take out the light. It's not meant to come right out. Now... having said that, I just forced it out. The problem is not in getting it out, it's putting it back IN... as I found out.

But here's a video of a light replacement that I found. Maybe this will help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you post photos of where you have got to currently?

PS: I'm on a R they are similar but different....
Right now everything is back together as once I gave up I just put the two screws back in and reconnected it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Technically, you're suppose to remove all the plastic fairings to take out the light. It's not meant to come right out. Now... having said that, I just forced it out. The problem is not in getting it out, it's putting it back IN... as I found out.

But here's a video of a light replacement that I found. Maybe this will help.
Thanks. I had seen that vid and realized he had the same issue that you did, not so much removing the headlight but putting it back in. If I have to remove all the bodywork it takes a five minute job and turns it into an hour job.

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2.
123 Posts
I did it without removing any part.
Yes, it took me some effort to get it in.
But it is possible not to scratch anything.
Work slowly and push the edge(s) / or open up at the motorcycle.. but not too much..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all,
I tried posting this before but it got hung up in the approval process so I'm re-posting this. I am having a lot of difficulty removing the headlight on my 310GS. I've disconnected the headlight and parking light and removed the two mounting/adjusting screws. I've tried jiggling, jostling, yanking, pulling and a whole lot of swearing, all to no avail. I've also reviewed any relevant threads but I still haven't seen anything that points me in the right direction. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi. On 21 model there are 4 mounting screws. Two on each side and two underneath. If you can avoid removing all the plastics it’s worth trying just to lever it out. The bottom two screws go through a grommet with washers above and below. Try and be careful not to drag the top washers off when moving the headlight unit forward. Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi. On 21 model there are 4 mounting screws. Two on each side and two underneath. If you can avoid removing all the plastics it’s worth trying just to lever it out. The bottom two screws go through a grommet with washers above and below. Try and be careful not to drag the top washers off when moving the headlight unit forward. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you take all that stuff off, then service the air cleaner and anything else that needs to be done in there...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts