BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else notice the GS headlight vibrates a lot. Any solution to make it more stable?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have noticed it as well but I like it. Cars notice me a lot sooner on highways etc when lane splitting here in California.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Is it the headlight it's self or is it the lamp (bulb) or the reflector unit?
The reason I ask is that a couple I an H4 lamp that worked intermittently and turned out to be broken in the base and many years ago I had a loose reflector inside the headlight unit, both of these were in cars, but could easily apply to a bike.

·
Registered
157 Posts
no it is the entire assembly. you can see it visibly shack when riding but it is secure in its mounts I have checked.

·
Registered
163 Posts
the thing is that, if you try to make it more sturdy (and thus less flexible) the entire assembly might crack/break. to solve this IMHO you need to make serious improvements like new brackets or something similar

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have been using a headlight modulator for years and they NOTICE me.

Vibrating headlights are noticed but modulators really work. Best $99 you an spend. Kisan.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
I will be honest, the vibrations are probably so by design, but it appears to blind the meeting cars (had a huge amount of cars blinking at me) and it looks super bad, almost like if something is actually broken.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bringing this post back.. My dealer states "as intended."

Well.. I live in Orlando, Fl.. We still have a LOT of brick roads and such here.. Dusk, dark and beyond it's like a strobe show in front of me.. Especially on our highly reflective road signs.. Insanely distracting, even when not on the brick and more often than not, it impacts oncoming drivers.. Low beams on, I am regularly flashed, see people in drivers seats with their hand up to cover, etc...

I understand some vibration, but it's like our lamps are held on with rubber bands.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bringing this post back.. My dealer states "as intended."

Well.. I live in Orlando, Fl.. We still have a LOT of brick roads and such here.. Dusk, dark and beyond it's like a strobe show in front of me.. Especially on our highly reflective road signs.. Insanely distracting, even when not on the brick and more often than not, it impacts oncoming drivers.. Low beams on, I am regularly flashed, see people in drivers seats with their hand up to cover, etc...

I understand some vibration, but it's like our lamps are held on with rubber bands.
My solution to it for now is to adjust the headlight downwards, so it doesnt have the potential to blind oncoming traffic.
But results in a different downside, wich is that I cant light up the road very far at all, even with high beams.
Its kinda crazy that BMW did let this pass through QA and that blinding oncoming traffic is intended, I even got stopped by the police for it twice.
In the end I just have to fix it myself it seems.

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
My solution to it for now is to adjust the headlight downwards, so it doesnt have the potential to blind oncoming traffic.
But results in a different downside, wich is that I cant light up the road very far at all, even with high beams.
Its kinda crazy that BMW did let this pass through QA and that blinding oncoming traffic is intended, I even got stopped by the police for it twice.
In the end I just have to fix it myself it seems.
There's a thread on the forum about adjusting the headlight, with a handy picture of how to adjust it properly. Remember, you need to be sitting on your bike when adjusting the headlight, as your weight will cause the rear of the bike to sag. You should be able to adjust the headlight by pushing on the top or bottom of the headlight to move the beam up or down.

Also consider getting an aftermarket bulb for better coverage, I can recommend the osram night racer 110, and get yourself an led park lamp to make yourself more visible to others. The led park lamp is brighter and creates a very noticeable strobing effect in peoples vision when they move their eyes rapidly, while they might not register a headlight when quickly scanning, they are more likely to notice the strobing effect of the led park lamp.

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
You might want to also try the Philips 194 LED park lamp (in addition to the new headlight). The park lamp has a t10 connection.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Looking at the headlight on my GS I notice that the whole headlight assembly is mounted using rubber bushes. The only reason I can think of for this sorry state of affairs is to minimise the vibration to the headlight bulb(which may fail early if it gets too much vibration) . So I might have a look at removing the rubber mounts and going for a solid fix. I've fitted a LED bulb which looks better than the original but I don't know it they are more prone to fail with vibration or not. What does everyone think?

Dave.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It was designed that way for a reason... I would leave it alone. I get noticed way sooner than any other bike I have ridden and in 12k miles I have had no bulb failure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well... I've stripped the front end of my bike to get at the Aux power connectors and to fit some bling turn signals from 12 o'clock Labs. I have removed the headlight mounting bracket and as I thought it is fixed to the bike using 3 rubber bushes and bolts. Obviously this damps out the bike vibration to the headlight but also allows the mount and hence the headlight to move/bounce a fair bit on the rubber bushes. I realise that it has been designed that way to protect the bulb but I really don't like the idea of a headlight jumping around like its lose. So I'm going to mod the bushes so they are either solid or maybe just a lot more ridged that they are now, and hope my LED bulb can take the extra vibes.

Ill take some pictures as I go along and put them up soon.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I swapped out the headlight bulb and parking light with LEDs, light is way brighter and a much nicer white colour than the standard yellow light which was quite pathetic imo. I fitted a light grill which mounts to the same bolts you have to loosen to adjust the light. I over tightened one of the bolts and crushed the plastic mounting point on the headlight assembly. It is an extremely poor design, with all the pressure going into a flimsy plastic tab and both sides. Luckily managed to buy a light from a totaled G310GS, new one from BMW is about 1/8 of the total price of the bike.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts