BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Heated grips and phone mount-done

14K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  GrazingDog 
#1 ·
Hi all, just installed heated grips and phone mount to us with maps while away.
Grips works superb and can highly recommend mod as is easy and really help you enjoy cold weather riding. Thinking of getting sw motech hand guards to help with wind chill, that setup should be sufficient for any winter riding.
Picture below, had to resize as was to big to upload

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Cool .... or should I say Hot... Looks good but since I am in SoCal I don't think I would get much use out of heated hand grips. The Guards on the other hand I will be looking at when I get my GS to protect the levels from damage while off road riding. I think I am going to turn some Sliders and Guards for the GS as well once I get it.

#8 ·
There must an electric socket somewhere near the front of the bike where the BMW heated grip power lead goes to. Does anyone know where it is and what colour leads they are? Better than connecting direct to the battery as it will switch off the heated grips when the ignition is switched off.

#9 ·
Interested in knowing also. Weather is getting cold and I usually ride until it snows... Digging in the service manual I couldn't find the routing for such cable, neither any information for installing the heated grips. All I discovered is that FUSE#2 is handling heated grips.

Also it seems the OEM heated grips are not available from BMW yet ? I would like to compare OEM vs aftermarket offerings.

As for connecting directly to the battery, the Oxford kit seems to have a fuse of its own, and also a shut-off mechanism if battery hits a certain voltage threshold, so at least you don't end up with a completely drained battery in case you leave the grip power to ON....

#15 ·
I found the socket but when I tested it with a meter for power, I couldn't get a voltage reading at all - I tested each connection to each other and then both to earth but still had no luck ( I did the tests with the ignition on). I think it must be for the BMW heated grips but, not being great with electrics, I gave up. It's not the fuse as that fuse also covers the speedo housing as well, which works OK.

#23 ·
I've removed and re-used the stock grips without too much hassle. On throttle side there is a small lip that prevents the grip to easily slide off, so you need to dislocate this lip first. You may want to refer to a post I've made about my experience: HERE. (2nd photo shows what I'm saying here...)

#21 ·
I just removed mine recently. They aren't glued on. The left side came off easily with a little shot of WD-40 and some twisting. The throttle side was more difficult since it's on the throttle tube and the grip itself has little ridges to keep it from moving around. But, no glue, thankfully. Just some elbow grease, being careful not to wrench the throttle too hard.

#24 ·
Thanks for all the info.

Fitted the oxford ones today, same as the first picture. The oe grips came off pretty easy with the aid of a long flat screwdriver and a very small drip of acf50, twist and pull, and they came off easily. Sanded down the ridges on the throttle tube with a power file and lots of trial fittings later, secured with superglue.
I mounted the control box on the side of the battery box which is easy to reach while riding to turn on, off or adj the temp, and wired straight up to the battery. I looked at using the accessory plug behind the headlight, but will be using that for my sat nav., tomorrows little project!

#25 ·
310GS Heated Grips

Just finished mounting my Oxford heated grips. It was a bit of a struggle to get the throttle side grip off until I discovered the lip that was holding it on. Also thankful for my angle grinder with flap wheel to make quick work of the "no slip" ridges that required grinding off. I mounted my controller to the left of the instrument panel. See attached photo. Also mounted a USB outlet on the right hand side forward of the inside of the fairing. I use industrial velcro to avoid drilling holes.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.