BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a many year BMW owner (since 1976 w/450,000 BMW miles). Love the 310 GS now with 6,500 miles since March 2018.

Currently noticed while on center stand there is "slop" in the rear drive sprocket carrier and the wheel assemble. No mechanical noise. Will have the Daytona dealer take a look.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi,

I'm a many year BMW owner (since 1976 w/450,000 BMW miles). Love the 310 GS now with 6,500 miles since March 2018.

Currently noticed while on center stand there is "slop" in the rear drive sprocket carrier and the wheel assemble. No mechanical noise. Will have the Daytona dealer take a look.
We have noticed on all 3 bikes ridden by our testers in the APC Rally by Adam and Amy, and Jenny riding the TAT in America, that the cush drive rubbers wear excessively over about 5-6,000 miles, giving the slop in rotation.
This has happened with both our billet hubs on spoked wheels, and the cast OEM wheels, so it seems like the material that the Cush rubbers are moulded from is not hard enough.
We have registered our complaint with BMW UK, and Jenny's bike was looked at by a U.S. BMW dealer who agreed that it was a warranty problem, and gave her 3 new rubbers from a bike in their showroom

·
Registered
155 Posts
The Cush Drive Rubbers were also replaced by the dealer at my 6000 mile service under warranty. If it seems too loose it most likely is and will be replaced by the dealer. TAKE IT IN.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cush drive follow up

I spoke with Daytona BMW to have them check availability of replacement rubber dampers. None in stock and they are checking availability from BMW. Then called Mac BMW Parts who also said they had none, also none in USA. He checked BMW Germany Inventory and it showed 1,000 there????!!! Doesn't look good. Check the post above for the "old time fix" using inner tube strips to fill in the wear. I may have to resort to this depending on what BMWNA replies.

Bummer!! Guess these will arrive with the side stand fix-up (mine is on the recall list).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To check rear wheel damper play, I grab the sprocket with one hand and rear wheel with the other and see if there is any play when you try to move the two. Doubt you will ever notice a problem when riding...until it's too late.

·
Registered
242 Posts
For the uninitiated, what do worn cush drive rubbers feel like?
Yes, as bmwroot says, if you hold the sprocket and wheel in each hand, you can see if there is any for-aft play in the cush rubbers... (almost certainly there will be) - there really shouldn't be any, but a 1/4" is bad, and half an inch is really bad (in my opinion).

When riding, you may notice the wear though the rear wheel and transmission sort of pulsing/shunting - particularly under a steady throttle.

for info. as KTMmitch says above, when I asked the dealer about it while on my travels, they were more than helpful sorting me out under warranty overnight/the next day - top work BMW Las Vegas!

However, even the replacement rubbers soon showed signs of wear/slop - after just a few hundred more miles - and I resorted to sandwiching some strips of bicycle inner tube in there again at my next tyre change.

Ultimately, after another 7000+ miles of admittedly pretty hard on and off road riding, not only are the rubbers complete shot again, but I also now have side to side play in the sprocket carrier bearings - which is being dealt with at this latest service.

Basically don't let them go too far - if you have fore-aft play, get them swapped for new ones as soon as possible, and keep an eye on them otherwise the play can ultimately lead to wear in the bearings too.

Jx

·
Registered
12 Posts
G310GS Rear Drive and Clutch

I'm glad I saw this thread! I was noticing a large amount of slop last night when it sounded like my chain / sprockets may have saw toothed. I would like to know who else is experiencing loud clutch noises when starting from dead stops. This is especially noticeable when the engine is cold. If you're on a hill, even louder. Mine has become very bad & the BMW shop here denied hearing anything... which is unbelievable, unless they feathered the clutch super slowly to start moving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On my third set of rear wheel cush drive rubbers (absorbers to BMW) and they are now shot at 18,500 miles. Before I go for set #4, I've contacted BMWNA customer service. They have responded several times stating that they are reviewing the issue and the latest reply promised something by June 5, 2019.
In the meantime, I emailed Max BMW, who has been helpful in the past, about the issue and they advised that a new part number has been issued for the rubbers. I'll still wait from BMWNA's reply before heading back to my dealer.

FYI: from another on line parts source I fund two part numbers and one has a $0.00 cost and that part will not load to a buy basket. the two part #'s are: Old number listed as N/A: 33858394151 with no cost listed and new (presumably) #33858560454.

If NA provides anything informative, I'll post.

·
Registered
49 Posts
On my third set of rear wheel cush drive rubbers (absorbers to BMW) and they are now shot at 18,500 miles. Before I go for set #4, I've contacted BMWNA customer service. ... If NA provides anything informative, I'll post.
Yes, please keep us updated. I've gone through two sets in 6,500 miles.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Carrier Bearing

I think there is too much play in the carrier bearing on mine and now with brand new bearing assy (spacers etc).
Even new bikes have it _ not right or correct this would not be help cush drive rubbers either.
Will when I get time look at the whole assy , to see if I can eliminate the play on the bearing/carrier assy , might opt for a quality bearing first.
I would question whether BMW got this right as no other chain drive bikes have this play.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took the 310GS to Daytona last week for a valve check (30,000 miles and in spec), spark plug change and another set of rear wheel cush drive rubbers. Service Manager informed that they did not have any drive rubbers. Also said that a "new" revised part has been developed.. New part number and all. He said he believed the new part will be a tighter fit. Was not sure about availability.
As I hear more or get the new parts, I'll advise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts