BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Most, if not all, better helmets will accommodate eyeglasses comfortably.

The best thing is to go to your local bike shop and try them on. Wear them for a bit walking around the shop, as almost anything can feel comfortable for 30 seconds.

A helmet liner or "do rag" is a considerate touch to keep the inside of the helmet clean from your head (and to keep your head from picking up whatever the last tester left behind).

I'm a Shoei fan, but have worn HJC & Schuberth comfortably.

Perhaps the biggest issue is the size of your lenses and the size of the viewport. One that pushes down on the top of your glasses will get old VERY quickly. DAMHIK.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have been using Nolan modular helmets for years. On my latest N104 I have to remove my glasses when I put it on but otherwise no problem. I have used Shuberths too with no problem.

·
Registered
322 Posts
On my latest N104 I have to remove my glasses when I put it on...
Any helmet that you can put on without removing your glasses is probably too large.

I haven't been able to do that since I was wearing open face helmets back in the '60s & '70s - they were considerably more open in front than today's helmets are. Plus, I was probably wearing the wrong size.

Ah, youth!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Any helmet recommendations for an eyeglass wearer?

Thanks
I too wear spectacles and have the same problem. I only have a cheap LS2 modular helmet, but what I found (probably obvious to everyone else but me!) Take your glasses off, put the helmet on and get it positioned, DONT fasten the chin strap until you have put your glasses back on, and then don't forget to fasten the chin strap like I do on occasion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also wear glasses and just tried on a Bell full face hi viz helmet. It fit well with my larger aviator syle glasses on - glasses put on after helmet of course. I'm currently using an older Fulmer full face helmet and have been looking into buying a new one. I also tried a hjc at the bmw dealership but it put too much pressure my cheeks. Seems helmets are a bit more specialized now than the last time I bought one....oval head shapes, round head shapes, etc. It's great that there is an attempt to customize for a better fit but it sure seems to get complicated. In person trying on is a must.

How do you guys with modular helmets feel about their safety? Any concerns about the chin bar releasing during an accident?

·
Registered
255 Posts
How do you guys with modular helmets feel about their safety? Any concerns about the chin bar releasing during an accident?
I’ve been wearing modular helmets for the past 15 years or so, and had one good low-side during that time, with my head hitting the pavement hard. I replaced the helmet, of course, but it survived intact. All the modular helmets I’ve worn lock solidly, and my guess is if you hit your helmet hard enough to dislodge the chin bar, you’ve got bigger problems than just a busted helmet.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree with WoodWorks, all I've ever worn are Shuberth and Nolan modular helmets and never a problem. Note that I have not had an accident bad enough to test the chin lock. They are also a bit noisier that regular but the advantages outweigh the noise.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Any helmet recommendations for an eyeglass wearer?

Thanks
I have a slightly different problem, even though I were glasses I purchased a new Nolan X-lite that fitted tight but really well once on and I could get my glasses in with only a little struggle. The glasses seemed to slide in a lot better as the helmet wore in, but it seems like the inner padding is compressing to the point that the helmet now pushes down on the glasses forcing uncomfortable pressure on the bridge of my nose. This becomes very distracting when out on the road. The helmet is only 2 months old.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Modular for years after breaking a pair of glasses while putting them on with helmet on. There are helmet shops with multiple helmets to try on. Every brand has a different shape even with the same size marking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts