BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in Bulgaria just about to sign off on a brand new blue and red 'rally' edition of the machine. There is about a month long wait, all good.

Here are my questions :

- Is the Rally version generally more expensive (because of the paint?) or other reasons? I LOVE this color combo.

- I would like to buy an engine guard but the chrome BMW one in the catalogue looks weird to me and it's quite expensive (do they make a black one?). What's the best one to buy?

- Any good tips on buying guard for the body work in case the bike tips over, I would really prefer black as chrome just isn't my cup of tea.

- I want to buy a mid-sized trunk box but a cool heavy duty metal one (not the traditional black plastic box-thing). I would love a nice and clean installation with a lock, willing to pay whatever. It would be awesome to future-proof with a mount that would accept hard panniers somewhere down the road - pun intended.

- Are the BMW hand guards worth it? Not too worried about them being durable, just want to keep my hands a little warmer on windy fall days?

Thank you very much, everyone!! I SUPER appreciate your time.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The first two questions you should ask your BMW bike dealer. The third (upper crash bars) you will find at least half a dozen variations off when searching on the net. The question is really what you are looking for, protection or looks. Placing a heavy top box high up far back from the center of gravity will have serious effect on safety (don't ask how I know ;) ) and stability. Now I have a small Pelican look-alike plastic tool box for everyday ride and a soft bag when touring on dirt roads. The BMW hand guards are made to fit the bike, if they are worth the extra money for the logo, you have to decide. I bought cheep Chinese because I knew I was going to tip the bike many times, and I've done that :D and I still have the same (scratched) hand guards.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to me.

I guess I wasn't asking for actual cost of the bike, just wondering if the blue and red rally edition carries a price premium over the regular g310gs. Other than the paint, they look identical.

It's funny reading your message regarding the box, I just got off the phone with the dealer and he was SUPER adamant I don't get the metal box either saying EXACTLY the same stuff (word for word) regarding stability and safety - THANK YOU!!!!

I will buy the BMW 29L box and handguards. They are discounting them for me (rather drastically) and will install them for me, too.

Cheers from Bulgaria.

·
Registered
368 Posts
the dealer...saying EXACTLY the same stuff (word for word) regarding stability and safety - THANK YOU!!!!
So the dealer has packed his bike full with fiancée, lots of camping stuff (packed up way back high) on his bike and got into a major slide when driving his bike on a forest service road. I had to drive my fiancée to hospital with a sprained ankle on a bike with bent handlebars. Strangely the girl married me and became a skilled biker herself. This was on my first bike, a Suzuki GS450ES, in 1981. We've been divorced since 2004 and the bike was sold long time ago too. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi. Welcome.
1. My guess is that yes the only reason for the cost difference is the paint scheme. If you build a bike on the website, there is a similar fee for the 40th. This is similar to what I have been seeing in the US for a few years for vehicles.

2/3. There is a lot of good info on protection in these threads. You can search and find others also.
Since you love the color, you can also find red guards from this company (black also)

4. No comment.
5. I would not buy the bmw hand guards but you seem to be set up doing that already so best of luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very very very much for replies...whoaaa..there is so much I had no clue about. I will read all of these posts right away.

Why did the stupid dealer quote me over 500 Euros for the 29L box and hand guards?? That just sounds freakkin' absurd.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am in Bulgaria just about to sign off on a brand new blue and red 'rally' edition of the machine. There is about a month long wait, all good.

Here are my questions :

- Is the Rally version generally more expensive (because of the paint?) or other reasons? I LOVE this color combo.

- I would like to buy an engine guard but the chrome BMW one in the catalogue looks weird to me and it's quite expensive (do they make a black one?). What's the best one to buy?

- Any good tips on buying guard for the body work in case the bike tips over, I would really prefer black as chrome just isn't my cup of tea.

- I want to buy a mid-sized trunk box but a cool heavy duty metal one (not the traditional black plastic box-thing). I would love a nice and clean installation with a lock, willing to pay whatever. It would be awesome to future-proof with a mount that would accept hard panniers somewhere down the road - pun intended.

- Are the BMW hand guards worth it? Not too worried about them being durable, just want to keep my hands a little warmer on windy fall days?

Thank you very much, everyone!! I SUPER appreciate your time.
hello from Mexico!

Your first question: Yes there are models a little bit more expensive due to the stickers and body paint, the first generation was the cosmic white $200usd expensier than others.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hello from Mexico!

Your first question: Yes there are models a little bit more expensive due to the stickers and body paint, the first generation was the cosmic white $200usd expensier than others.
Thank you very much!!!!!

Have fun in Mexico....oyyy, I remember my Mazatlan escapades, great memories.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I want to buy a mid-sized trunk box but a cool heavy duty metal one (not the traditional black plastic box-thing). I would love a nice and clean installation with a lock, willing to pay whatever. It would be awesome to future-proof with a mount that would accept hard panniers somewhere down the road - pun intended.
It's not that heavy (unless you load it with heavy things) and it doesn't adversely affect handling. My GS version with a Givi Trekker Dolomiti pictured.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys, these look awesome (I wonder if I could ever take my cats with me). I wonder why the dealer was soooo incessant I don't buy a square metal box. Thank you for the photos, super made my day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That bike and color combo looks space age. I still don't have mine but really fell in love with the blue and white. Hopefully the stupid dealer will get back to me tomorrow.

I was also shopping for a new Tenere but it appears there is a year long wait list for that machine....sigh.

·
Registered
2019 BMW G310 GS
26 Posts
@chewy land . I was looking for some engine guard for the bike , and one of the guards selling on eBay, the seller is from VARNA Bulgaria. Surprisingly they have free shipping to USA .
B8658F95-0980-4C46-8A7A-A9FFA9FE64A9.png
0306565E-E011-4B5F-B661-7971716162EF.png

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is sooo funny. Not only am I on my way to Varna to get drunk and eat some sushi, Varna is exactly where I am buying my 310. Still waiting for dealer to confirm price, everything here takes about 14,000x longer than it used to in Canada.

Thank you for this, I will definitely order these...100%..might even just go pick them up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts