BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my pearl white G310R a couple of weeks ago. Have been commuting to work everyday, and it feels good.

Already running into a couple of problems:
1. Oil leak - the dealer has ordered a new part to fix this...
2. The fuel reserve indicator lights up when there is still about 4L of petrol in the tank. Anyone else has this problem?

Cheers!
Varun

·
Super Moderator
989 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The oil leak might be a coolant leak, this is normal during the run in period. The fuel reserve light comes on with about 4L in the tank, this way, once the range is down to 0, you should still have 1L reserve in the tank as per the specification.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The oil leak might be a coolant leak, this is normal during the run in period.
Leaks are not normal anytime in my opinion.
Hopefully the OP knows the difference between coolant and oil, lol.

1. Oil leak - the dealer has ordered a new part to fix this...
Varun
And the new part is what?
We need to know for the rest of us...

·
Super Moderator
989 Posts
That's what the dealer said about the coolant leak, that it was 'normal' for the mechanical pressure valve to release a bit of coolant for the first few hundred k's, not really a leak, more of a release.

I noticed a bit of a leak in the first 600-800km, but no more.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Varun.sreenivasan
Welcome to the forum

Let's check if it's oil of coolant. I had the same problem after the first (1000 km) inspection.
BMW replaced the pump and some gaskets and now .............. I have to wait till the salt and snow is gone from the road.
Can't tell you yet if this 'operation' helped.

My fuel reserve indicator also lights up when there is more than the last liter in the tank. But it's less then your 4 liters !!!!
Because I know, it doesn't bother me anymore !
The dealer can adjust that (if you have a good dealer)

Good luck !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Never faced with any fuel indicator issues. Please keep us posted on how your motorcycle's repair going.

·
Registered
469 Posts
That's what the dealer said about the coolant leak, that it was 'normal' for the mechanical pressure valve to release a bit of coolant for the first few hundred k's, not really a leak, more of a release.

I noticed a bit of a leak in the first 600-800km, but no more.
Thanks Porth, good to know,
maybe just a bit too much coolant from factory.:surprise:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi Varun-Sreenivasan

The R1200RT’s were also known for ‘coolant seepage’ as well. In most cases a temporary thing and if not the dealer will definitely sort it out.

Congratulations and welcome, you have chosen wisely. :laugh:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi there Varun,

Welcome to the forum.

Hope all Your troubles will be resolved soon, and will be enjoying rhis little gem of Yours.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks!

How can you distinguish between oil and coolant? Is the coolant green-coloured similar to that used in cars? Also, I think it is oil, because I would expect the coolant to evaporate as they are water-based, correct?

Ah, I will ask the dealer to adjust the reserve light level. They reserve light according to the manual should only turn on when it actually reaches the reserve level!

Varun.sreenivasan
Welcome to the forum

Let's check if it's oil of coolant. I had the same problem after the first (1000 km) inspection.
BMW replaced the pump and some gaskets and now .............. I have to wait till the salt and snow is gone from the road.
Can't tell you yet if this 'operation' helped.

My fuel reserve indicator also lights up when there is more than the last liter in the tank. But it's less then your 4 liters !!!!
Because I know, it doesn't bother me anymore !
The dealer can adjust that (if you have a good dealer)

Good luck !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks!

According to the manufacturer, the reserve light should turn on only when the fuel has reached the reserve level! This is what bothers me!!! :)

Welcome to the forum!

The oil leak might be a coolant leak, this is normal during the run in period. The fuel reserve light comes on with about 4L in the tank, this way, once the range is down to 0, you should still have 1L reserve in the tank as per the specification.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey!

Actually, I don't know how to distinguish between oil and coolant! I would expect the coolant to be coloured (similar to the green colour used in cars). Right? Also, I would expect coolant to evaporate, but not oil. Right?

I don't know what part the dealer has ordered. It has been 3 weeks and the dealer seems to not have received the parts yet! I hope soon!

Thanks!

Leaks are not normal anytime in my opinion.
Hopefully the OP knows the difference between coolant and oil, lol.

And the new part is what?
We need to know for the rest of us...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts