BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. New member in San Francisco. Back in October, I picked up a bone-stock 2019 GS with 6 miles on the clock. (Crazy low mileage, because it wasn't a dealer holdover, but rather a private sale from the original buyer. It sat unused in their dining room for two years!)

I've been busy since. Upgraded with a lot of Rally Raid products for beefier suspension front and rear, stronger/taller bars, and some protection. I've also done the 15-tooth sprocket mod and find the bike feels a lot peppier off the line and definitely doesn't seem to stall so much. I've also upgraded lighting throughout--rolling through the Bay Area, a little more conspicuity goes a long way.

I picked up the GS to play around a bit on some fire roads and what not. It's the second bike in the garage behind my main squeeze, the F900XR. Appreciate the community here and what I've already learned (while lurking) over the last few months or so. Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi all. New member in San Francisco. Back in October, I picked up a bone-stock 2019 GS with 6 miles on the clock. (Crazy low mileage, because it wasn't a dealer holdover, but rather a private sale from the original buyer. It sat unused in their dining room for two years!)

I've been busy since. Upgraded with a lot of Rally Raid products for beefier suspension front and rear, stronger/taller bars, and some protection. I've also done the 15-tooth sprocket mod and find the bike feels a lot peppier off the line and definitely doesn't seem to stall so much. I've also upgraded lighting throughout--rolling through the Bay Area, a little more conspicuity goes a long way.

I picked up the GS to play around a bit on some fire roads and what not. It's the second bike in the garage behind my main squeeze, the F900XR. Appreciate the community here and what I've already learned (while lurking) over the last few months or so. Thanks!

View attachment 15500 View attachment 15501 View attachment 15502 View attachment 15503 View attachment 15504 View attachment 15505
Hello DMo! What can you tell us about the suspension upgrade is the level 1 or 2? that is my next mod but by now is out of stock acording to RR england. It is worth?
Thanx.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello DMo! What can you tell us about the suspension upgrade is the level 1 or 2? that is my next mod but by now is out of stock acording to RR england. It is worth?
Thanx.
Thanks, @DAAT! I'll tell you, take this review with a grain of salt as I have all of ~250 miles on the new suspension, including about a mile of local, well-graded trail. But I'd say the suspension upgrade and the sprocket change are absolutely the two most impactful upgrades for me on this bike. I'm short and heavy (5'7" and 210 pounds without gear), so I was overpowering the stock suspension. I had the preload on the stock shock cranked way up and was definitely experiencing a lot of fork dive.

Meanwhile, because I'm not very tall, it didn't make sense to go up to the Level 2 kit for me, personally, from Rally Raid. So, I went with Level 1 fork kit and Level 1 shock (standard OEM height, NOT the shortened kit). I did add the remote preload adjuster, which has already come in handy as, after I set my sag to Tractive's recommendation, I decided I wanted just a bit more preload and used the remote to give it three clicks. I won't carry a passenger on this bike, but will occasionally be running different luggage setups and weights, so the remote adjuster will be invaluable in those scenarios.

Also worth noting that at my weight, I was right between two of the spring rates that Rally Raid offers in the Level 1 kit. I called Rally Raid and took their advice to go with the lighter of the two for a better experience off road. Even on the pavement, the bike is significantly more composed, and, while I always felt the 310 GS was pretty easy to get leaned over, I find it's more willing to hold a line through a sweeper now, too.

Being in the U.S., it's kind of bear to invest in Rally Raid products and its (fair) volumetric approach to shipping. That's why I bit the bullet and bought so many of them all at once. If I was in the UK, I'd probably be piecing Rally Raid bits together over time. Regardless, I'm quite pleased with them so far. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice looking bike! Which lights did you go with?

I'm down in Santa Cruz and would love to try running around on some dirt but don't know where to start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice looking bike! Which lights did you go with?

I'm down in Santa Cruz and would love to try running around on some dirt but don't know where to start.
Thanks, @Kohm. The headlight + short-stalk blinkers are from Matt Gecko LEDs. He's all over ebay, but he actually sells cheaper from his own website. He's actually based in the Bay Area, so you can hire him to do the installs, too, if you want. I didn't do that. Installation is easy--but it does require taking all the plastics and such off. So, easy but time-consuming. The headlight is great. The blinkers are ok.

The license-plate mounted aux brake light is the Denali B6. I loooooooove this light. I've got it mounted on my F900XR, too. I find the stock BMW taillight assembly is just not very conspicuous even though its an LED unit, and as you know, drivers in this area are NOT attentive. Install on the B6 is tricky on our bikes, so I hired someone for it.

RE: Dirt roads in the Bay Area + Santa Cruz mountains, you're right. They're tough to find around here. A couple of options in your neck of the woods are Buzzard Lagoon Road + Summit Road, but would recommend doing your research on both. You're also fairly close to some of the stuff that's near Highway 25 + Pinnacles National Park, including Gloria Road. I highlighted some of those Highway 25-area dirt roads on this map. I haven't been yet, but I also hear that the Carnegie OHV state park in Livermore has a great ADV-friendly beginner area. (Metcalf OHV in San Jose, less so.)

Finally, one other suggestion is to look for some of the course options available in the area. I had zero dirt experience, so I've taken an introductory course with Garrahan Offroad Training. And I'm scheduled to take another one. Dude is great and he has full rental gear available, including Honda CRF250s--so you can drop his bikes instead of your own! I'm also taking an Intro to ADV course with Black Swan Moto this spring in Sacramento and do plan to ride my 310GS for that one. They're courses are pricey, but well reviewed and I was able to snag a pretty big discount on Black Friday.

·
Registered
2019 BMW G310 GS
54 Posts
@DMo . Welcome. Great looking bike. Thanks for listing all the upgrades that you did on the bike. Also @Kohm, if you are looking for an advice about where to ride dirt in your area and also all motorcycle related stuff, there is a place called Re-Cycle Garage and it is located in your home town of Santa Cruz , this is a place that where motorcycle riders get together on a Sunday and work on bikes and help each other with everything motorcycle related, they are welcoming of new riders .... Great bunch of people, very colorful group, they also have a podcast “ Motorcycles and Misfits “. The garage is run by Ms. Liza Miller. Hope this helps. All the best.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought I'd resurrect my "Hello" thread and turn it in to a bit of a DMo's build thread, for those interested. Since I first posted this thread in January 2021, I've blown through a set of tires and have made a few more tweaks. And I'm about to add some more electrical accessories.

RE: Tires--
I took the stock Metzler Tourances off at about 1,000 miles on the clock. I was prepping for a training course that required 50/50s. At the time, options were pretty limited because of the throes of Covid supply chain issues. I ended up going with the Bridgestone Battlax Adventurecross AX41. The name is a mouthful. In fact, it takes longer to say the name than the tires last. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I got all of 2,500 miles out of the set. The rear definitely needed to be replaced and the front had a bit more life left--but definitely not at the rate of two rears for every one front. So, I opted to replace them entirely. They looked like this:

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Sky Vehicle

I will say about the AX41s that other than mileage, it was a decent tire. Very good in dirt. Decent in gravel. Decent on the road. Very soft and grippy (hence the wear). They had a little noise on the road, but nothing crazy, and while they were noticeably slower to turn in than a street-biased tire, once on edge, they held a line well. But I can't say I recommend them based on the wear.

So, I've got some fresh meat! I ponied up for the Dunlop Trailmax Missions, after reading sooooo many positive reviews about their unconventional tread pattern and stiff sidewalls. So far, I have very few miles on them and am not in a place to offer a proper review. But, I will say that they are noticably better, quicker turning, quieter, and stiffer on the street. I have a few days off offroad training later this month and am excited to see how they do in the dirt. Here's what they look like on my 310 GS:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

RE: Wind protection--
You might also notice in that latest photo that I've switched back to the U.S. stock black "windscreen." ("Windscreen" being a generous description of that little piece of black plastic!) I've added one of the cheap, Ebay clip-on spoilers. I Plasti-dipped it black to blend in better with the stock screen.

I find this approach to by far offer the best pocket of air for me, personally. I've also tried the Rally Raid/Powerbronze screen, as well as an Ebay-knockoff of the Puig-style screen. The Ebay screen sucked--With risers and fat bar, I couldn't clear the screen and it seemed to amplify vibrations a ton. The Powerbronze screen is decent, and actually does provide more wind protection. However, the pocket of air it creates is much more turbulent for me than the system pictured above.

·
Registered
38 Posts
@DMo thanks for the update. Please let us know your thoughts on the Dunlop Trailmax Missions after you get that dirt riding in. I am in a similar position where I had to get better tires for a class. Went with kenda big blocks and will likely only get about 2500 miles out of rear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RE: Electrical + lighting accessories--

I used a couple of the Rally Raid parts to add some goodies to the cockpit a while back, but admittedly when I wired the accessories originally, I didn't do a killer job. Those included a dual USB charger, 12V charger, and a mount/cradle for my Garmin Zumo XT GPS. The cockpit looks like this:

Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

My issue was that the Garmin cradle appeared to be faulty as it frequently lost connection. And mistakenly, everything was wired directly, not switched. The USB charger has a tiny little LED that was constantly alight and with all of the battery and charging system issues others have reported for the 310s, I didn't want to deal with any parasitic draw. I wanted to replace the faulty GPS mount and re-wire things smarter.

So, I had my dealer wire install a Touratech Canbus Helper, which is really just a well thought-out fuse block. It accommodates up to 5 electrical accessories. I use the same unit on my F900XR, too. It takes up more real estate under the seat than I'd prefer (pictured below), but it works a treat. So, now the chargers and the GPS unit are switched on with ignition only, while I still have an SAE pigtail and a heated gear coax cable wired directly to the battery terminals. I use the SAE pigtail for a battery tender and, when needed, to run a small air compressor.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Auto part Car Automotive exterior

I'm adding a few more goodies, too, in the next month or so. I ride year round, so the Koso Appollo heated grips are going on. Also, I noticed that Denali/Twisted Throttle has discounted the auxiliary lighting mount bar made specifically for our bikes--which suggests to me that perhaps they're planning to discontinue it. I picked one up, as well as a kit for Denali D2 2.0s that I got on an open-box discount. The kit comes stock with a two-way switch--low/high. But I purchased the optional three-way switch--low/high/off, so that I'll have full control over them.

I've also been unimpressed with the cheap LED turn signals I installed over the winter. They're ok in the front, but in the rear, they're pretty hidden by my topbox that overhangs them. And they're just not super bright. They also get in the way of being able to mount tool tubes to the inner side of the Rally Raid side racks. So, I'm planning to replace them with the new dual function Denali T3 Switchback Pods mounted to the license plate frame. I think I'm going to keep the cheap-o LED turn signals up front.

Finally, with so many accessories, I'm also thinking about adding a voltmeter to the dash. I've been careful to make sure that I can easily turn off/disconnect any accessory individually at any time, but still want to be able to keep an eye on any potential issues. I've already got a USB and 12V charger installed, so the usual Amazon/Ebay specials don't make sense to mount into the dash. TrailTech just released a small, standalone TTO Volt Meter unit that looks like this:

Watch Clock Font Rectangle Measuring instrument

According to the dimensions, it should fit to either side of the LCD display, but we'll see. It's so new, no one's posted info about it yet. Hopefully it works out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts