BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Beginner's bike ??? How about old-timer's bike ??? At 75-year-young &1m70, I'm riding in the Tropics & 350 days/year, my 192 kg Yamaha 2010 MT03/660cc. Today, I think that, if I'm still in shape when I hit 80, I wouldn't mind downgrading to a 168* Kg Yam MT03/321cc or a 164* kg BMW G310R which also have lower seat heights of 780 & 785 mm. I don't need a fast bike since I'm mainly riding in town anyway :) *With full tanks.

RÉPONDRE

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beginner's bike ??? How about old-timer's bike ??? At 75-year-young &1m70, I'm riding in the Tropics & 350 days/year, my 192 kg Yamaha 2010 MT03/660cc. Today, I think that, if I'm still in shape when I hit 80, I wouldn't mind downgrading to a 168* Kg Yam MT03/321cc or a 164* kg BMW G310R which also have lower seat heights of 780 & 785 mm. I don't need a fast bike since I'm mainly riding in town anyway :) *With full tanks.

RÉPONDRE
Thats impressive. I hope to be like you in 20 years!

·
Registered
137 Posts

RÉPONDRE

RÉPONDRE
Like you I’m in my 70,s, and yes it makes a perfect bike for our generation. I also have a 1981 BMW R100RS, and that I find hard work putting it up on the centre stand. I’d love a centre stand on the G 310r because it’s light enough for me to easily use it… but it’s still a good beginners bike 😀

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like you I’m in my 70,s, and yes it makes a perfect bike for our generation. I also have a 1981 BMW R100RS, and that I find hard work putting it up on the centre stand. I’d love a centre stand on the G 310r because it’s light enough for me to easily use it… but it’s still a good beginners bike 😀
Hi! I'm also a center stand aficionado; I use it every evening when I store my Yamaha 660cc. One of the advantages of the centerstand is that my bike is front heavy &, when it's on its centerstand, the rear wheel doesn't touch ground & my rear suspention is relaxing! The centerstand cost me over 170 € but I don't regret any euro cent of it. To put it on, I just stand on its lever using my 70 kg to rise my 192 Kg bike... PS: The socks on the mirrors are to protect them from mini tropical birds which "fight" their reflections before leaving & pooing on my mirrors :)

Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...2ahUKEwi32MjRhZ_6AhUrh_0HHRIuCc0Q3eEDegQIAxAH

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi! I'm also a center stand aficionado; I use it every evening when I store my Yamaha 660cc. One of the advantages of the centerstand is that my bike is front heavy &, when it's on its centerstand, the rear wheel doesn't touch ground & my rear suspention is relaxing! The centerstand cost me over 170 € but I don't regret any euro cent of it. To put it on, I just stand on its lever using my 70 kg to rise my 192 Kg bike... PS: The socks on the mirrors are to protect them from mini tropical birds which "fight" their reflections before leaving & pooing on my mirrors :)

View attachment 17613
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...2ahUKEwi32MjRhZ_6AhUrh_0HHRIuCc0Q3eEDegQIAxAH
I had similar problem with a crow attacking it’s own reflection in my car wing mirror, it used to make a right muddy mess of the mirror lol.

·
Registered
750 Posts
310 is just a super bike, quite good at many tasks. Enjoy it.
I once had to cope with a flock of peacocks. Scratched up many a car. Thankfully
lions and coyotes developed a taste for them.
I like having a lift for moto work, even just cleaning easier for old me.

Reactions: TGuy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Before my current Yamaha, I had a 2003 BMW 650 with a Rotax engine that I kept for over 10 years... I loved it with its fuel tank under the seat & a storage "hole" where fuel tanks are usualy located, where I put my son's helmet when I drove with him :)
Wheel Tire Vehicle Helmet Automotive tire

·
Registered
137 Posts
Before my current Yamaha, I had a 2003 BMW 650 with a Rotax engine that I kept for over 10 years... I loved it with its fuel tank under the seat & a storage "hole" where fuel tanks are usualy located, where I put my son's helmet when I drove with him :) View attachment 17614
Memories are good, I hope to get one of my memories back on the road next year. Next year the bike will be 40 years old, at that point it becomes a historical vehicle in the UK, I will then be able to put it back on the road without paying for road tax and no need for an MOT.
At the moment it’s still a bit sad after a long period in my garage and suffering winter damp but hopefully It’ll clean up well :)
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
750 Posts
Whacko! Two of my fav BMWs. I thought the CS 650 was brilliant in design and a wonderful power plant. Part of the first wave of BMW working with a manufacturer rather than build.
Airheads are airheads. Timeless and an excellent example of old school German.
If I could have a third bike it would be either a CS650 or Honda Pacific Coast

Reactions: TGuy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Whacko! Two of my fav BMWs. I thought the CS 650 was brilliant in design and a wonderful power plant. Part of the first wave of BMW working with a manufacturer rather than build.
Airheads are airheads. Timeless and an excellent example of old school German.
If I could have a third bike it would be either a CS650 or Honda Pacific Coast
One of my dreams is to fly to Seatle (WA), find a mid size bike & ride it -slowly- across the USA all the way to Miami where I would load it on a container bound to Saint Martin; "cycletrader.com" is an good web site where to find a bike be it an oldy or a BMW 310 :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts