BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum here, but I've got a 2018 G310GS that I got back in February. Since then I've ridden it as much as I possibly could have, and actually just got back from a 3 day camping trip on her. The trip had almost all gravel roads and some fun quad trails, but once I got back into town, at stop lights I noticed my bike idling quite high (sitting at 4000rpm). I quickly got home and check on the forums and saw this has been an issue in other 310's before. The other threads said it had to do with the idle adjustment screw getting too hot, melting the locktite on it, causing it to loosen off and hold the throttle open ever so slightly (from what I read). I quickly checked the screw and tried to adjust it back to where I would imagine it would go, but with all my might (and some heat) the screw wouldn't budge. The locktite appeared in tact, and I doubt that screw would have moved on it's own if I was unable to move it myself. I'm a little stuck here and just seeing if anybody has any ideas before I take it into a shop. I haven't looked at my air box or any part of the intake system yet, but I plan on doing so in the next couple of days as it needs a new air filter regardless. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
367 Posts
certainly worth checking some of the easy basics first.
If you've been on gravel roads [dusty] then the air filter is a possibility.
Was this just a one off. Have you been out to try it again from cold.
I've had the occasional high tick over - for no apparent reason .
But it did seem to cure it self and settle back to normal.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I would also check the throttle cable adjustment, both ends. Also check the throttle returns completely. There is a distinct sound when the butterfly hits it's stop. If the throttle stays open, even just a little, you won't hear the sound.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
certainly worth checking some of the easy basics first.
If you've been on gravel roads [dusty] then the air filter is a possibility.
Was this just a one off. Have you been out to try it again from cold.
I've had the occasional high tick over - for no apparent reason
I’ll take it to work this morning, and I’ll post an update later!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would also check the throttle cable adjustment, both ends. Also check the throttle returns completely. There is a distinct sound when the butterfly hits it's stop. If the throttle stays open, even just a little, you won't hear the sound.
Will do!

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2 Sport.
167 Posts
I’ll take it to work this morning, and I’ll post an update later!
Any updates?? :D

I have no other high idle than the standard ±1.400~1.600 rpm, which is a little bit too much compared to other bikes.
But the 310 is a rough bike at low temperatures (<10°C), so I keep it there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any updates?? :D

I have no other high idle than the standard ±1.400~1.600 rpm, which is a little bit too much compared to other bikes.
But the 310 is a rough bike at low temperatures (<10°C), so I keep it there.
UPDATE! Turns out it was just my throttle cable. I adjusted it and now the bike is back to ripping wheelies, and idling just fine. Thanks to everybody!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts