BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the decibels of the stock horn ?

·
Registered
132 Posts
geez, 95dbl maybe, its not very loud and the quality of the sound is pretty weak.
on the good side BMW seems to like sticking with electrical connectors across lines, the plug on the 310 horn is the same plug found on many BMW cars.
I watched a youtube vid where a 1200gs owner switched its beep beep horn for one from a 5 series car. much louder and much better sound quality. instead of meep meep "excuse me please" it was HOOOONNNKK "get the #%^$^ out of my way"

and best of all you can get the car horn on Ebay for a fraction of what dealers want for a new motorcycle horn.

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
You have quite a bit of choice for the GS, but for the R you are limited by the space.

I replaced the horn on my R with a louder (114dB(A)) Hella Strong Tone horn S90 (the low frequency 350Hz horn from a twin pack).

I did have to drill out the hole on the attachment arm of the horn a slight bit 2-3mm on one side to prevent the horn touching the fairing.

I've put a video on youtube:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought a Denali Soundbomb mini for my G310R, and the BMW-specific plug adapter from Revzilla. It was supposed to be a plug and play installation, according to them. I asked my BMW dealer to install it, and they said the 310 uses a different horn plug than other BMW's. So unless I want to cut wires, which I don't have experience with, my horn is useless.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
If it's just two wires you really can't go wrong, probably there's not even a plus and minus side to worry about. Happy to take the thing off your hands at your cost if you don't want to install it or get it installed. I would feel just a tad safer with a stronger horn, although I have not had to use it over the past 8 or so years of riding. Most of that was in Geneva, Switzerland (BTW, any Swiss members here?) But LA is a bit of a different story.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hmm, I'll have to have a look myself at what it entails. The mechanic at the dealer made it sound difficult, for some reason. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Denali SoundBomb - No questions. Sounds like a boat.

I haven't done that one yet because while I want a louder horn this one might scare a driver into swerving into me or into someone else...

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
I bought a Denali Soundbomb mini for my G310R, and the BMW-specific plug adapter from Revzilla. It was supposed to be a plug and play installation, according to them. I asked my BMW dealer to install it, and they said the 310 uses a different horn plug than other BMW's. So unless I want to cut wires, which I don't have experience with, my horn is useless.
The Denali Soundbomb mini would be a good one, have you checked to see if it fits in the space?

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Denali Soundbomb mini would be a good one, have you checked to see if it fits in the space?

No, I haven't. I was more concerned with if/how it would be wired up. It might be too fat to allow space for the fork to be turned to full lock. I'm going to take a closer look at everything soon, I'll post what I learn.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If anyone has installed a Denali Soundbomb COMPACT or MINI onto a 310R - I would love to hear your thoughts on installation and db difference compared to stock.

I'm curious what the improvements are with them ... also read a review somewhere (possibly for the compact) that for the price and db difference, it MAY not be worth it? The person went as far to recommend a PIAA alternative stating that the Denali's are AIR powered, which will degrade over time and will have some delay to 'ramp up' ... whereas an electrical one is instant.

Would love to get some more thoughts/impressions of the Denali Soundbombs.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I really like Denali Mini. it is loud but pleasant in sound.

·
Registered
751 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
you have cut the cables or dismantled the original connector?
just cut the end connection, and get rid of the original bmw adaptor. then strip the wires and attach to them the two pins (whatever they are called) that enter any normal horn connectors on the market. it is possible also to leave the original horn and attach the new horn to engine guard and connect the wires, so you can have 2 horns. I did it in the Tiger 800. but for that you need wiring harness. since stronger horns take too much power, having a harness with relay connected to the battery takes out the load. in gs i opted just for one stronger horn, but i did use the wiring harness.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts