BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I use Google maps I end up on interstates and main roads. I want dirt, gravel, creeks, and everything in between. How do I map out a trip? Is there a good app? Most apps optimize for time and not adventure.

Please note, I have tried everything to search for this on google before posting here. Maybe I'm not using the right search terms but it doesn't seem to exist.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
Seek out known cross country routes is one way. Like the Backcountry Discovery Routes (BDR). These have nice maps and give several gps tracks.
You can search out tracks at AdV.com for the GPS tracks offered. Read ride reports from your intended zone.
Use paper map to rough, then satellite views to inspect, check with Agencies as to open (BLM, Forest Service etc) or closed.
I like googles maps/sattelite view but my wife tells me there are much better routing apps. I don’t use apps so am ignorant.
Hopefully Jerry G will chime in, he’s done recent and pro planner.

· Registered
29 Posts
This is funny cause the GS is the only bike I have ever got a phone mount on because I get lost. Typically, I just ride to foothills or mountains and just seek out an adventure and go down all the dirt roads and explore. And then only use the mount/ maps when I plan to return home.
So ditch the maps, ditch the phone, and go... See where you end up!
The real adventure is the exploration not the preparation. Worry when you are out of gas or when you need to get home.
Thats my advice, disregard if you see fit.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
I was going to say same but but but, the World is digitized and if your comfortable with it, it is superior way to go. But yeah max adventure, and the way I’ve traveled for 40 years is prep the bike, have vague idea where I’m going and 2D maps. Most my travels were pre cell phone even! Yes people used to travel without com units. And I’ve had a mess of troubles, like once nearly getting electrocuted in New Mexico as I didn’t know about the monster lightning event.
Had to lay in a ditch watch lightning strike all around me, ever smell lightning? Yikes! I could done without that much adventure.

· Registered
57 Posts
This is funny cause the GS is the only bike I have ever got a phone mount on because I get lost. Typically, I just ride to foothills or mountains and just seek out an adventure and go down all the dirt roads and explore. And then only use the mount/ maps when I plan to return home.
So ditch the maps, ditch the phone, and go... See where you end up!
The real adventure is the exploration not the preparation. Worry when you are out of gas or when you need to get home.
Thats my advice, disregard if you see fit.
"Worry when you are out of gas".

Heh, that's not a good time to start worrying.

You have about 150 miles of range (give and take) on a 310 gs. (That was a massive mistake for BMW.)
It's probably not a good time to end up on a (blocked/slid out/gated/tree down/washed out) back road, with half a tank, and you are out 100 miles from fuel.

This of course, depends on where you are riding. Nevada,Eastern Washington, Eastern Orygun, rural California, can have 120-200 miles between fuel stops.
Why I normally carry 3 liters (.8 gal) of fuel in the tail bag. This summer I'm supposed to be doing some BDR stuff.
I'll carry 4.5 liters (1.2 gallons)... and that extra fuel is barely enough.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
It does seem short sighted to provide such a small tank though my 1150GSA was a bit much with like 10 gallons, quite affected the handling. I wouldn’t hold out much hope for aftermarket tanks either. I so hope I am wrong about that. I detest hauling fire bombs.

· Registered
57 Posts
It does seem short sighted to provide such a small tank though my 1150GSA was a bit much with like 10 gallons, quite affected the handling. I wouldn’t hold out much hope for aftermarket tanks either. I so hope I am wrong about that. I detest hauling fire bombs.
Yup. I used Rotopax plastic before... didn't like 'em. Currently I'm using 2 of these. Nestles in the bottom of my Nelson-Rigg tail bag tailbag alongside
the battery powered tire inflator. Going to get a bigger tailbag and carry 3 of them this summer.

Liquid Bottle Bottle cap Product Fluid

· Registered
1,082 Posts
Are those the tiny openings? Most fuel bottles have those. I have issues filling n not spilling. Contemplating painting SS water bottles red as those have larger openings. Biggest fear is wee leak causing much grief. A traveler stopped here, had the new “gas bags”. He said they off gassed pretty bad, not joking, I could smell in garage over night. Never easy.

· Registered
57 Posts
Are those the tiny openings? Most fuel bottles have those. I have issues filling n not spilling. Contemplating painting SS water bottles red as those have larger openings. Biggest fear is wee leak causing much grief. A traveler stopped here, had the new “gas bags”. He said they off gassed pretty bad, not joking, I could smell in garage over night. Never easy.
Blue Electric blue Plastic Plastic bottle Automotive wheel system

· Registered
1,082 Posts
I have not found funnels too effective when you’ve a gusher of gas out a 3/4” nozzle. If I can place nozzle in container, klutzy me has less spills. Never fill bottles in your lap.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
I have four 1-liter MSR fuel bottles. The pump nozzle easily fits in the opening. I set them on the ground and fill them as best I can. I invariably spill some gas, not because the opening is too small, but because the fuel comes out of the nozzle so fast. A funnel would not solve this problem; it would make it worse. I just wipe them off before putting them back in the Aux Pox carriers on my Mosko Moto Reckless 80. In the picture below taken at Halls Harbor Nova Scotia at low tide, I have one fuel bottle and one water bottle on each side - you can just barely see the tops of the bottles in the pic below. The side and tail bags are mostly empty because this was a side trip from and back to my hotel.

For my upcoming March DVNR/CABDR trip, I'll be carrying all four 1-liter fuel bottles and I'll be adding two MOLLE 4L Storage Pouches to carry two 2-liter Nomax Tank Bag Hydration Reservoirs.

Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Cloud

1 - 15 of 15 Posts