BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see people on YouTube videos reving the bike to redline when riding. I’m afraid of going that high. My engine starts vibrating when I get up to 6-8revs. Is it harmful for the engine to rev up to redline when accelerating?

·
Registered
293 Posts
10,000 rpm = 100mph ..ok for me .... BMW will have limited it to what it can cope with.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Anyway, the rev limiter's action is enough to make you pull back at RedLine. I do not go up to there often, but in cases were I feel I need maximum acceleration I don't feel it's asking too much.

In any case, small displacement, single cylinder motors are made to rev.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have never ridden my bike without redlining it at least once. The engine was built for it and it may shorten its life before the rebuild, but I bought it to enjoy it and I do that with all my vehicles. The more maintenance you do, the harder you can ride imo

·
Registered
2018 BMW G310R, 2009 BMW R1200GS
51 Posts
Going over 8000 rpm, you are risking to lose fillings from your teeth...😂🤗

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree with sentiment expressed in the last post. The redline is a concept designed to keep the motor within it's limits.
To only use half the rev band is like only eating half a meal... You pay for the whole thing, so eat it all !
If you didn't want it all, you should've bought a smaller one.
As mentioned above, not only is there the red line, there is an engine cut-out, if you go too far beyond it.
I only found this out on a day of some 'enthusiastic' riding, but it is an added protection to ensure no damage is done.
Focus your concern on ensuring that the bike is well watered, oiled and adjusted ( including the final drive chain ).
You will be good to go, go, GOoooo !

·
Registered
53 Posts
PS 5,000 RPM is below the power band.
Staying below that is like riding with your brakes on- You've edited out all the fun !
You'd have been better off buying a skate board. ; )

·
Registered
51 Posts
My Honda CRV can go up to 7000 rpm. The CVT transmission regulates/optimizes rpms most of the time between 2000 and 2500 rpm, yet I do not feel I am missing any fun or “eating only half the meal”. My 1200gs goes up to 8000 rpm and does the max legal speed of 110km/h at 4000 rpm. I have never been over 6k rpm. I think everyone has a different feel for “fun”.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I totally agree. Fun should be defined by the owner/rider, and we all have our own style and comfort level.
However, that was not the original question at the beginning of the thread; which was 'would I be doing any harm to the engine to go all the way up to the red line'...
I presume that Bubbie is a novice, and needs to be reassured.
The answer should surely be an emphatic 'NO, no harm to the engine to go all the way up to the red line. It was what is was designed for'....

·
Registered
51 Posts
I totally agree. Fun should be defined by the owner/rider, and we all have our own style and comfort level.
However, that was not the original question at the beginning of the thread; which was 'would I be doing any harm to the engine to go all the way up to the red line'...
The answer should surely be an emphatic 'NO, no harm to the engine to go all the way up to the red line. It was what is was designed for'....
agree

·
Registered
70 Posts
I’m so sorry I completely disagree. If you regularly ride at 8000 rpm plus for long periods of time you will most likely shorten the life of the engine

·
Registered
36 Posts
With good oil, a properly maintained cooling system and a cool down period you should be able to ride every day at 8k rpms and the life of the engine should be in the 90% of expected life range. I don't want to get all mechanical wisdom on you but synthetic oil is designed for this type of work and doesn't experience additional breakdown as long as the cooling system is running properly. If the oil isn't breaking down than the engine isn't experiencing conditions that would cause its breakdown either. What really matters to internal components is temperature. 3k rpms at 240 F is worse than 10k rpms at 200 F.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think, we are looking at this rpm issue in a wrong way. No doubts the g310 can run 10k rpm without damage and if somebody wants to do so, say when accelerating, go for it. However to run sustained 8k+ rpm, you need to be on highway doing 120 km/h (or 80 mph), but then you are on a wrong bike. The g310r is a city/side roads motorcycle where it feels most comfortable and where is no need for 8k+ rpm. Having ridden dozens of bikes in my blessed 74 years, I can tell when the bike is straining, and this baby bimmer is most happy between 5k to 7k rpm.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think, we are looking at this rpm issue in a wrong way. No doubts the g310 can run 10k rpm without damage and if somebody wants to do so, say when accelerating, go for it. However to run sustained 8k+ rpm, you need to be on highway doing 120 km/h (or 80 mph), but then you are on a wrong bike. The g310r is a city/side roads motorcycle where it feels most comfortable and where is no need for 8k+ rpm. Having ridden dozens of bikes in my blessed 74 years, I can tell when the bike is straining, and this baby bimmer is most happy between 5k to 7k rpm.
That is why I ordered and installed a 17t front sprocket. Cheaper than a bigger BMW

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyway, the rev limiter's action is enough to make you pull back at RedLine. I do not go up to there often, but in cases were I feel I need maximum acceleration I don't feel it's asking too much.

In any case, small displacement, single cylinder motors are made to rev.
[/QUOTE
Going over 8000 rpm, you are risking to lose fillings from your teeth...😂🤗
👍

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts