BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One owner that I know have already installed the hydraulic clutch. A unknown Chinese brand, but it works well. He said the world is completely different after installing the hydraulic clutch. I am wondering does anyone install the hydraulic clutch here. I am searching the catalog of Magura website today, cannot find 310 on it. The heavy clutch issue really bothers me.

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
One owner that I know have already installed the hydraulic clutch. A unknown Chinese brand, but it works well. He said the world is completely different after installing the hydraulic clutch. I am wondering does anyone install the hydraulic clutch here. I am searching the catalog of Magura website today, cannot find 310 on it. The heavy clutch issue really bothers me.
if I may say, it is a waste of money. the gs clutch is so light, that I see no reason for upgrading. the simpler the better. changing the brake master cylinder is another matter. it is an issue of safety and the oem MC sucks big way.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
The clutch on my R is very light. Maybe there's an issue with yours, check out another one or two at your dealer and if much lighter, have yours fixed.
The brakes on my R are also excellent, so if anyone is not happy with theirs, maybe there's something wrong with it also (air in the lines, grease on pads/disc).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The clutch on my R is very light. Maybe there's an issue with yours, check out another one or two at your dealer and if much lighter, have yours fixed.
The brakes on my R are also excellent, so if anyone is not happy with theirs, maybe there's something wrong with it also (air in the lines, grease on pads/disc).
I think the issue is not with clutch lever, it is with my hand:crying: my hand( or should say fingers) are small(short), **** it, it is like I am short but I like playing basketball

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if I may say, it is a waste of money. the gs clutch is so light, that I see no reason for upgrading. the simpler the better. changing the brake master cylinder is another matter. it is an issue of safety and the oem MC sucks big way.
I dont think this should be a waste of money. Its like buying LEGO, build it , experience it and enjoy it

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw one of your thread said the puig works great with your bike. They dont interfere with your switch housing, right? I used to mount a Chinese version adjustable clutch but they have interfere issue, so I tossed it, but I kept the brake lever.

·
Registered
751 Posts
i see here several subject are mixed together: hydraulic clutch, clutch lever, too soft clutch, etc.

in my opinion hydraulic clutch is waste of many on this bike as the clutch is already very easy to operate. (one of the purposes of hydraulic clutch is to make clutch softer). no need to fix something that already works so well... unless one is doing is just for fun of it.

however, adding heavy duty clutch spring would give the bike more power, especially on lower gears. i made the conversion in crf 250L and it made a big difference. i ordered some heavy duty EBC couch springs for gs, but did yet have yet the chance to install them.

I did not yet fit Puig Clutch lever, as I am away from the country, but I am sure it should fit perfectly, as for some reason the Chinese are unable to make the exact replica of the oem lever.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The clutch action is very light but the engagement point is too far out if you have small hands like me. The easiest fix is to adjust the cable for more slack, bringing the engagement point closer to the bar the same as an adjustable lever would. Adjusting the throttle cable for minimum slack also helps with smoothness.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The clutch action is very light but the engagement point is too far out if you have small hands like me. The easiest fix is to adjust the cable for more slack, bringing the engagement point closer to the bar the same as an adjustable lever would. Adjusting the throttle cable for minimum slack also helps with smoothness.
I just cannot adjust the free play into a proper position. I even adjusted it on a monthly basis, sometime I have different glove, I adjusted it also. It just doesnt feel handy. I did adjust it close to me now, but when I commute in a traffic, it takes so much effort.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
I saw one of your thread said the puig works great with your bike. They dont interfere with your switch housing, right? I used to mount a Chinese version adjustable clutch but they have interfere issue, so I tossed it, but I kept the brake lever.
Yes, the Puigs work fine on my R, switches operate properly. They are well adjustable so that should help tailor the grip to personal preferences.

·
Super Moderator
907 Posts
adding heavy duty clutch spring would give the bike more power,

It wouldn't give it more power per se, but it would give it more grip and less slip. Wouldn't this make it a bit harder to have that fine clutch control?

·
Registered
751 Posts
it is important to understand the difference between slipping and clutch drag. if the cable is too tight, the clutch will slip, when too loose clutch will be dragging, which can cause difficulty in shitting gears, especially going into neutral. the proper clutch cable play should be 3mm. if one has smaller hands, it is better to fit adjustable the clutch lever...

·
Registered
751 Posts
It wouldn't give it more power per se, but it would give it more grip and less slip. Wouldn't this make it a bit harder to have that fine clutch control?
yes, of course heavy duty clutch springs will not change the engine power but rather because of less slip the bike immediately moves forward, or 'jumps' forward without delay. it is true that one has to be more sensitive with clutch lever, especially when starting from the first gear, but it is not a big deal when you get used to it. the springs I ordered are only 15% harder. the drawback of having springs harder is that more force is required to pull the clutch lever, but as the clutch is so soft already, this should not be a big deal either.

I will need to see the results with gs. with my crf250, the difference was dramatic.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I just cannot adjust the free play into a proper position. I even adjusted it on a monthly basis, sometime I have different glove, I adjusted it also. It just doesnt feel handy. I did adjust it close to me now, but when I commute in a traffic, it takes so much effort.
I have a different problem. the clutch cable slag does not remain constant, and is getting too loose pretty quickly. i am not sure what is causing it...

you need to get an adjustable clutch lever. than changing the position will be very easy. adjusting the reach of the lever by changing the slag of the cable is not a good idea; you can damage your clutch in time. the slag should 3mm to avoid slipping or dragging of the clutch.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a different problem. the clutch cable slag does not remain constant, and is getting too loose pretty quickly. i am not sure what is causing it...

you need to get an adjustable clutch lever. than changing the position will be very easy. adjusting the reach of the lever by changing the slag of the cable is not a good idea; you can damage your clutch in time. the slag should 3mm to avoid slipping or dragging of the clutch.
I was hesitating for months already, but I think you are right. I just ordered the puig clutch lever.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If the clutch is that hard to pull something is defective, most likely the cable. As someone suggested, try another 310 in the show room. I presume the bike is on warranty, if so let the dealer take care of it.
BTW a hydraulic clutch is not a cure-all, I have 2 bikes with hydraulic clutches, both of them are harder to pull than the 310.

·
Registered
751 Posts
If the clutch is that hard to pull something is defective, most likely the cable. As someone suggested, try another 310 in the show room. I presume the bike is on warranty, if so let the dealer take care of it.
BTW a hydraulic clutch is not a cure-all, I have 2 bikes with hydraulic clutches, both of them are harder to pull than the 310.
he is not saying that his clutch is hard, but that needs to adjust it often the clutch reach for his specific needs.

·
Registered
751 Posts
the benefit of hydraulic clutch is that you don't have to adjust the cable. i never had one, but I rode a bike of my friend with hydraulic clutch. it was rather hard, but it depends on the size of the clutch master cylinder, his was just too big. if anything, I would not get Chinese copy because one of the possible issues with hydraulic clutch is that it can leak, from top or the bottom, and then you have a real problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts