BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last year I installed a pair of vmx spoked wheel on my g310gs, you can see the details and discussion here: Spanking new tubeless cross spoked wheels (VMX rims, not...

The wheels on the bike look absolutely gorgeous and as I planned to use the bike in the trails, spoked wheel will be safer because most likely you can still ride it at lower speed when you made some damage on it.
Sky Tire Wheel Plant Cloud

So everything was working perfectly and I had some great fun in the green lanes until 2 month ago, after a few drops and crashes and running over rocks and tree branches, I notice some braking issue on the front. the brake couldn't stop the bike fast enough, instead it bites and releases, and causing some pulsating front end nods.

I meant I bought the bike 2nd hand so the brake was a bit problematic since the begining, and I was told once by the mechanic that the front disc was wrapped a bit so I didn't think about the wheel too much. and naturally I bought a new disc but the problem still remain with the new disc on. The local garage mechanic who swaps the front disc was a bit careless and didn't told me anything about the wheel, they even suspect it was because of me being a noob who didn't know how the ABS works...

Anyway, I fed up with them and brought the bike to vines bmw at guildford and this is what they've found:

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Bicycle part Rim Spoke Composite material Bicycle drivetrain part

so clearly the mounts are broken and cause the disc to wrap when it is bolted with pressure. i wonder howcome the first garege didn't notice anything, as they were there to swap the disc for me.

what's strange is that the mounts are broken, usually the wheel are damaged on the rims but seldomly we see damage on the mounts.
and what's even stranger is that the metal at the broken location are actually in black colour, howcome? shouldn't they anodise it to make it black? is it possible that it was hairline cracked since the beginning, before they anodise it?

I bought a new front wheel at VMX again, and this time they covered the shipment for me, so really appreciate that part, i will see how this new one lasts.
If it breaks again i might order a pair from rally raid instead.

· Registered
91 Posts
Last year I installed a pair of vmx spoked wheel on my g310gs, you can see the details and discussion here: Spanking new tubeless cross spoked wheels (VMX rims, not...

The wheels on the bike look absolutely gorgeous and as I planned to use the bike in the trails, spoked wheel will be safer because most likely you can still ride it at lower speed when you made some damage on it.

So everything was working perfectly and I had some great fun in the green lanes until 2 month ago, after a few drops and crashes and running over rocks and tree branches, I notice some braking issue on the front. the brake couldn't stop the bike fast enough, instead it bites and releases, and causing some pulsating front end nods.

I meant I bought the bike 2nd hand so the brake was a bit problematic since the begining, and I was told once by the mechanic that the front disc was wrapped a bit so I didn't think about the wheel too much. and naturally I bought a new disc but the problem still remain with the new disc on. The local garage mechanic who swaps the front disc was a bit careless and didn't told me anything about the wheel, they even suspect it was because of me being a noob who didn't know how the ABS works...

Anyway, I fed up with them and brought the bike to vines bmw at guildford and this is what they've found:

View attachment 18428 View attachment 18429 View attachment 18430

so clearly the mounts are broken and cause the disc to wrap when it is bolted with pressure. i wonder howcome the first garege didn't notice anything, as they were there to swap the disc for me.

what's strange is that the mounts are broken, usually the wheel are damaged on the rims but seldomly we see damage on the mounts.
and what's even stranger is that the metal at the broken location are actually in black colour, howcome? shouldn't they anodise it to make it black? is it possible that it was hairline cracked since the beginning, before they anodise it?

I bought a new front wheel at VMX again, and this time they covered the shipment for me, so really appreciate that part, i will see how this new one lasts.
If it breaks again i might order a pair from rally raid instead.
Don't think it's actually 'broken'. Really doesn't look like the hub cracked.
Blemishes have smooth surfaces are coated with black finish.

IMHO: Looks like a flaw in either the factory... casting or machining process.
Couple of the defects look like the finish er... 'machinist' left the the milling bit down when lining up the next hole. 'He, machined his way in'.
Machinist or QC in the finishing process should have rejected it... or maybe the shop foreman said let it go.
(Not sure where those hubs are made.)

Also the garage you had bolt the new disk on should have either mentioned the defect it to you or rejected it.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Don't think it's actually 'broken'. Really doesn't look like the hub cracked.
Blemishes have smooth surfaces are coated with black finish.

IMHO: Looks like a flaw in either the factory... casting or machining process.
Couple of the defects look like the finish er... 'machinist' left the the milling bit down when lining up the next hole. 'He, machined his way in'.
Machinist or QC in the finishing process should have rejected it... or maybe the shop foreman said let it go.
(Not sure where those hubs are made.)

Also the garage you had bolt the new disk on should have either mentioned the defect it to you or rejected it.
thx and agreed most of above, i send the pics to the merchant and they agreed to "sending it to r&d for feedback", let's see how it goes 🤷‍♂️

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Chinese quality?
tbh i don't want to be stereotypical here, if you look at the the careless garage who swapped the disc (and originally installed the wheel) for me, the shop is actually ran by 2 englishman and their shop name has "jap" and "german" in it... they also overfilled engine oil and over tightened the chain for me... and my g310gs was made in India and you know the 18 model had many problems, fragile side stand, difficulty to start, squeaky clutch, problematic stator etc etc... sometimes the origin of the product does reflect a bit on the quality, but it isn't rare to see counter evidents nowaday.

i would rather credit it to vmx for the time being and keep an eye on the new wheel...

· Premium Member
725 Posts
Did you take detailed pictures when you received the rims? If so, were these flaws present in those pictures? I went back to my detailed pictures and it looks to me like my front hub has the same or similar "flaws". I remember seeing them, but since they were anodized and the rotor sits on the flat, it never occurred to me it was a problem. I did have to replace my front brake rotor after my Nova Scotia trip (because of pulsation), but I chalked that up to one of my off-road drops. Since then, the new rotor has been very smooth - no pulsation at all. Here is a screenshot with your hub from the picture above viewed side-by-side with my hub when it was new. My flaws are hard to see because everything pure black, but they are there.

Bicycle part Rim Wheel Automotive tire Auto part

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also my r1200gs
Did you take detailed pictures when you received the rims? If so, were these flaws present in those pictures? I went back to my detailed pictures and it looks to me like my front hub has the same or similar "flaws". I remember seeing them, but since they were anodized and the rotor sits on the flat, it never occurred to me it was a problem. I did have to replace my front brake rotor after my Nova Scotia trip (because of pulsation), but I chalked that up to one of my off-road drops. Since then, the new rotor has been very smooth - no pulsation at all. Here is a screenshot with your hub from the picture above viewed side-by-side with my hub when it was new. My flaws are hard to see because everything pure black, but they are there.

View attachment 18439
😳 ha! so the notches perhaps weren't really the cause for my pulsating issue then, might be the hub itself i guess. i didn't take picture for this side of wheel when i received it, but looking at the anodised colour i am thinking very likely they were there since the very beginning.
thanks for posting the pic, really helpful. i might contact vmx for a new hub to see if that fixes it

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
More likely, the rotor itself. I've had warped rotors and I've had rotors wear unevenly.

...thicker...thinner...thicker..thinner...

Both had the same symptoms, serious pulsating.
thx, but i've replaced brake disc, issue remained. i took it to vines bmw, and they replaced it again with bmw stock disc, as soon as they bolt it on it had excessive run out.

I am now running the new vmx wheel and the issue is gone, so defintely something is up with the wheel

· Premium Member
725 Posts
I'm glad you solved it. First time I've heard of the wheel itself causing a brake pulsating problem. I will be very interested to hear if replacing the hub fixes it. Does this mean your original rotor can now become a good spare or was there an issue there too?

· Registered
29 Posts
вывод сам напрашивается- не пользоваться колесами этой фирмы...думаю правильнее будет следовать правилу- что лучшее-враг хорошего! есть колеса от производителя этого мопеда - пользуйтесь пожалуйста и у вас не будет возникать никаких проблем!.. и расходов на ветер! не сказал ничего нового, но зато все верно сказал

· Premium Member
725 Posts
Google Translation...

"the conclusion suggests itself - do not use the wheels of this company ... I think it would be more correct to follow the rule - what is best is the enemy of good! there are wheels from the manufacturer of this moped - please use it and you will not have any problems! .. and waste of money! didn't say anything new, but..."

Only true if 310GS riders with OEM rims are doing serious off-road and the OEM rims aren't getting bent? When I search on bent rims or wheels, there are enough that I wanted spoked wheels.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I'm glad you solved it. First time I've heard of the wheel itself causing a brake pulsating problem. I will be very interested to hear if replacing the hub fixes it. Does this mean your original rotor can now become a good spare or was there an issue there too?
yeah i am still keeping it atm, but probably because i was riding with it for 2 weeks with the problematic front wheel, bmw said the rotor also had run out when bolted with the new wheel ...

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
вывод сам напрашивается- не пользоваться колесами этой фирмы...думаю правильнее будет следовать правилу- что лучшее-враг хорошего! есть колеса от производителя этого мопеда - пользуйтесь пожалуйста и у вас не будет возникать никаких проблем!.. и расходов на ветер! не сказал ничего нового, но зато все верно сказал
well, i abused the bike so much, crashed many times in rocky session, so it is kinda difficult to say whose fault really...

i've also run it through some huge rocks and branches without properly lifting the front end and having done it many many times, even left some marks on my skidplate:

Art Bird Wood Sculpture Snout

rocky river bed riding:
Motor vehicle Bicycle handlebar Outdoor recreation Vehicle Grass

i will give rally raid a try if vmx wheel gives again, and i will come back then for another update.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts