BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Everything is easy, when you know how to do it. Not knowing your level of skills in motorcycle repair and general mechanical work, answering your question is as easy as answering the question: "How long is a rope?"

·
Registered
36 Posts
To be more clear, Yes. Its 2 nuts, a bolt/nut combo and the O2 sensor. If you have a standard set of metric sockets and metric wrenches this job will be quick, easy and intuitive. Be mindful of the exhaust gasket position, The gasket has a nub on top and the motor has a place to match it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
In the days when I was young, some time between stone age and Anno Domini, we didn't have cell phones, internet or even FB (how did we survive?). The only forum we could go to was filled with lions and gladiators (not Gloster). In those days we had to bend our backs and check how things were fastened and figure out how they worked, all by our self's.
Today people have became too lazy to even try to look anywhere ells except their phone (or other connected device) and ask others to solve their lack of willingness to seek knowledge. In my country we call this behavior "uusavuttomuus", which translates to new-helplessness in English. Some people even ask how to boil an egg. I had to find it out by my self. I even managed to burn a set of boiled eggs. But I learnt how to boil, with only a table spoon of water. The same way I learnt fix my bikes. I didn't know how to install a Yoshimura muffler, joined with a Dominator header, in a BMW G310GS, until I tried. I even had to make a support for the muffler from scrap metal.

·
Super Moderator
1,041 Posts
In the days when I was young, some time between stone age and Anno Domini, we didn't have cell phones, internet or even FB (how did we survive?). The only forum we could go to was filled with lions and gladiators (not Gloster). In those days we had to bend our backs and check how things were fastened and figure out how they worked, all by our self's.
Today people have became too lazy to even try to look anywhere ells except their phone (or other connected device) and ask others to solve their lack of willingness to seek knowledge. In my country we call this behavior "uusavuttomuus", which translates to new-helplessness in English. Some people even ask how to boil an egg. I had to find it out by my self. I even managed to burn a set of boiled eggs. But I learnt how to boil, with only a table spoon of water. The same way I learnt fix my bikes. I didn't know how to install a Yoshimura muffler, joined with a Dominator header, in a BMW G310GS, until I tried. I even had to make a support for the muffler from scrap metal.
Luxury, when I was a boy .....😁

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be more clear, Yes. Its 2 nuts, a bolt/nut combo and the O2 sensor. If you have a standard set of metric sockets and metric wrenches this job will be quick, easy and intuitive. Be mindful of the exhaust gasket position, The gasket has a nub on top and the motor has a place to match it.
[/QUOTE
Dealership said I might need to install a power commander? Is that necessary for the bmw g310r

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealership said the bmw g310r might need a power commander to install correctly? Does that sound right? I assume you all own the bmw g310r. I’m putting on the yoshimura m77 race exhaust system on

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just put it on and run premium gasoline
It may take a couple gallons for the fuel computer to calibrate the correct mixture though. A little popping on deceleration

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed one on my 310gs. Runs great. Don't need a power commander. At least I didn't. Runs great, sounds great(kind of loud). Easy to install. I unplugged the oxygen sensor and removed the pipe. Good luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Before purchasing or installing a yoshimura race exhaust, read this (from the bottom up):

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021, 9:32 AM Don Franzen <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello Eric,

Totally understand. Thank you for letting me know.

With the smaller bikes that are coming out, seem to burn thru the packing material faster than the larger displacement bikes do. Also the big single cylinder models as well as the big twins too. The exhaust pulses from these motors, does make them needing to be checked and repacked more often than a 4 cylinder model

For the exhausts on the single cylinder dirt bikes, we recommend repacking them every 8-12 hours of race use, or 11-16 hours of play riding.

But when these motors are in road bikes, then it goes by miles instead. There is not really a mileage range for them unfortunately.

So the trick is to weigh a new muffler, or a repacked one, and log that information in a service manual or owners-manual. Then either every oil change or tire change, pull the muffler off and weigh it and log the mileage. When the packing starts burning off, the muffler will start getting lighter. This really the only way to keep tabs on it, and keep the muffler performing properly.

Thank you,
Don

Don Franzen
Sales Representative

Yoshimura R & D of America, Inc.
5420 Daniels Street
Chino, CA 91710
P: 909-628-4722 Ext. 422
Direct: 951-231-1422
F: 909-591-2198
[email protected]
www.yoshimura-rd.com

Sent: Friday, January 22, 2021 9:19 AM
To: Don Franzen <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: YOSHIMURA BMW G310 EXHAUST

Hey Don,
I don't have many questions about the exhaust. I can see that the stainless sleeve is welded to about 1/8" from the end to avoid a burnout, but that point becomes the weak spot. With the vibration of the little bmw thumper and the short exhaust pipe from the transverse motor, this is an inevitable consequence of a universal muffler. I purchased a silencer from you to reduce some of the shock and I hope that fixes it. I've already talked to one of your salesman (Thomas Lee) about it and he seemed to not care why it happened but was happy to sell me replacement parts. I would like to say I like the weight, sound, fit and aesthetic of the exhaust, but the quality will prevent me from purchasing again or recommending the product.
I appreciate you reaching out to me,
Eric

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021, 9:02 AM Don Franzen <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello Eric,

Give me a call or shoot me an email when you have a chance.

I can answer your questions on the Yoshimura BMW G310 exhaust for you.

Thank you,
Don
(909)628-4722 ext422

1 - 14 of 14 Posts