BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here I am. One of those poor sods on the side of the road cause my BMW G310GS suddenly quit for no apparent reason. Instrument cluster went all Dashes and then bike lost drive power and coasted to the side of the road. Bike has electrical power but starter will not engage anymore. Called dealer for my roadside assistance but surprise, they too busy to answer or return call for my roadside assistance .
Thankfully I still have AMA.
Crap. I was going to go on a trip tomorrow. Let’s hope they offer me a loaner.

·
Super Moderator
1,020 Posts
That's no good, hopefully it's an easy fix and you don't have to wait too long, let us know the outcome.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Sounds like a bad battery (or stator) to me. Best of luck getting it sorted. And what a story on the roadside-forget-assistance deal!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Road assist is not managed by the dealer, there is a 800 number for that, in the manual I think or search the forum, it was posted before....

As for the problem, first a boost to start, then check voltage at battery while running : if voltage lower than 14 volts, it's the stator, if else it's the battery.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dealer says stator. Trying to get them to install the new style alternator set so I don't have this problem again in the future. Hard to believe this was the cause as the battery was still lighting up the headlamp very brightly with the bike not running and the stator issue usually results in a battery slowly depleting as you drive to the point that the next start won't happen. Not the sudden death symptom that happened with mine. Go figure. (shrug)

·
Super Moderator
1,020 Posts
Dealer says stator. Trying to get them to install the new style alternator set so I don't have this problem again in the future. Hard to believe this was the cause as the battery was still lighting up the headlamp very brightly with the bike not running and the stator issue usually results in a battery slowly depleting as you drive to the point that the next start won't happen. Not the sudden death symptom that happened with mine. Go figure. (shrug)
Certain components need the higher voltage to operate correctly, while other components (such as the lights) can still operate on a lower voltage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a very similar issue with my 310GS a few days back. Riding along and ABS turns off, got a battery indicator light,indicators stop working and double dashes on the speedo. Engine eventually cuts out and wont start again. Got it back to the dealer, they say the stator is broken and needs to be replaced along with the flywheel.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Had a very similar issue with my 310GS a few days back. Riding along and ABS turns off, got a battery indicator light,indicators stop working and double dashes on the speedo. Engine eventually cuts out and wont start again. Got it back to the dealer, they say the stator is broken and needs to be replaced along with the flywheel.
for some odd reason the stator and rotor are replaced as a set, wonder how long before they come up with a replacement worse that original like they did with the brakes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine did the same thing at 3K miles. After a normal start I only got about 1.5 miles when it died.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Happned to mine. lucky I was close to home. It took 7 hours for road side to come. Easy solution was to sell the 310gs. This has never happened to me again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just got it back from the shop. Covered under warranty. Invoice shows Part# 12311540516 SET ALTERNATOR WITH FREEWHEEL but did not list the gear set 12418-566-411 that apparently also needs changing if the new configuration of flywheel is installed. Not sure if that means I have the new style starter clutch/Flywheel configuration now or if the mech just swapped out the stator and kept the other parts from the kit. More of the same type of stator setup that will fail again in the future for bolt loosening and backing out coming into contact with the stator? Guess I will have to take it apart myself to see what I really got as the service guy didn't seem to want to get to the bottom of this for me.
See

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got it back from the shop. Covered under warranty. Invoice shows Part# 12311540516 SET ALTERNATOR WITH FREEWHEEL but did not list the gear set 12418-566-411 that apparently also needs changing if the new configuration of flywheel is installed. Not sure if that means I have the new style starter clutch/Flywheel configuration now or if the mech just swapped out the stator and kept the other parts from the kit. More of the same type of stator setup that will fail again in the future for bolt loosening and backing out coming into contact with the stator? Guess I will have to take it apart myself to see what I really got as the service guy didn't seem to want to get to the bottom of this for me.
See
Part# 12311540516 SET ALTERNATOR WITH FREEWHEEL must include the starter gears as well? cause I opened up the stator cover yesterday and checked out what the shop did inside, I found inside was the new starter clutch configuration as shown in the video above. All done on warranty. Now if I can just avoid the next thing you folks have been mentioning, the coolant pump leak. At least that one doesn't leave you stranded in the bush.

Cheers all

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ha...just bought mine - 2,600 miles....haven't even ridden it yet as coolant pump leak dumped it's bladder on my path after delivery by dealer. Mine had the sidestand/brakes recall done etc and dealer been very good so far...but the bike design/manufacture is obviously a shitter. I'll be going back to Japanese reliability ASAP. :-( Trust me to buy a lemon !!

·
Super Moderator
1,020 Posts
Ha...just bought mine - 2,600 miles....haven't even ridden it yet as coolant pump leak dumped it's bladder on my path after delivery by dealer. Mine had the sidestand/brakes recall done etc and dealer been very good so far...but the bike design/manufacture is obviously a shitter. I'll be going back to Japanese reliability ASAP. :-( Trust me to buy a lemon !!
How much of a leak? You realise there's a coolant overflow tube and it's probably coming from that. My coolant sits nicely just over the min mark (haven't topped it up for about a year), if I fill it up any higher (e.g. just under the max mark) I get coolant coming out of the overflow tube.

·
Super Moderator
1,020 Posts
It has drained the overflow bottle !!
If it has drained all of the overflow bottle (i.e. way below minimum), that's no good.

That amount in the photo would be about the amount I would get if I filled my coolant to the max mark.

There can be multiple reasons for coolant leak, some of them not so good, get it checked out by the dealer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just had this happen to me at about 7100 miles. Riding uphill, noticed some dashes on the console, lost power suddenly.

I carry a jumpstarter with me at all times. Gave her a start, got 1/4 mile, died again. Repeat x2. Called a tow truck.

Not a happy camper.

·
Registered
2019 BMW G310R, 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650cc
53 Posts
I regularly test my battery even though I have it connected to a Optimate battery tender when not riding. I have now installed digital voltmeter wired with a Optimate plug to connect it when riding.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do you think that your alternator is acting up, given that it's under 14 volts while the bike is turned on?

I regularly test my battery even though I have it connected to a Optimate battery tender when not riding. I have now installed digital voltmeter wired with a Optimate plug to connect it when riding.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts