BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2019 BMW G310R, 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650cc
53 Posts
This is after 5 min leaving the ignition on the voltage with ignition off climbs back to 12.7 The initial voltage was 13.0 after starting the bike and raising the rpm to 4000 rpm the voltage is 14.7 which is a healthy output. What the 12.2 shown after 5 min is the stock battery has a very limited reserve and a low amp per hour capacity meaning on a cold day it would not take many attempts for the voltage to drop below the systems cut off which all modern bikes have since the introduction of CPUs and multi sensor engine management. This cut off voltage can be around 10.0 volts and is to protect systems from damage but you would think this is still enough to start the bike, yes on earlier bikes pre engine management bikes you could!! The only answer is subject to a fault free bike charging system is to install a larger capacity battery which many owners have done which can start the bike on a cold day as normal and for more attempts due to a greater battery reserve. This installation of cheap low capacity batteries is a problem across all manufactures and with the introduction of more LEDs lights which use less drain on the electrical system the temptation is they will install smaller batteries.

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
This is after 5 min leaving the ignition on the voltage with ignition off climbs back to 12.7 The initial voltage was 13.0 after starting the bike and raising the rpm to 4000 rpm the voltage is 14.7 which is a healthy output. What the 12.2 shown after 5 min is the stock battery has a very limited reserve and a low amp per hour capacity meaning on a cold day it would not take many attempts for the voltage to drop below the systems cut off which all modern bikes have since the introduction of CPUs and multi sensor engine management. This cut off voltage can be around 10.0 volts and is to protect systems from damage but you would think this is still enough to start the bike, yes on earlier bikes pre engine management bikes you could!! The only answer is subject to a fault free bike charging system is to install a larger capacity battery which many owners have done which can start the bike on a cold day as normal and for more attempts due to a greater battery reserve. This installation of cheap low capacity batteries is a problem across all manufactures and with the introduction of more LEDs lights which use less drain on the electrical system the temptation is they will install smaller batteries.
That's one of the reasons why I installed a lithium battery, no cold start issues after that! You just need to make sure that you prime the battery before starting the engine, e.g. 20 seconds with the lights on, or waiting until the engine light goes out before starting the engine.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Does anybody actually know if the new part number is an improvement over the old one? Max BMW lists the stator flywheel assembly and then notes to be used in conjunction with the starter drive gear set. Bob's does not have this.

My work was done at the nearest dealer to my failure on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Dealer was told this was not an emergency but was needed by end of September. I was BSed by the service manager and told something different every call. I was told the bike had been diagnosed and parts should be on order, a couple of weeks later everything checked out but bike was not charging, my bike was being worked on everyday and parts were coming next day, the tech was waiting on a fax from BMW on how to trouble shoot. I finally asked what was the output from the stator and was told none. This should be the second thing to do after the static test. I was told I would get no paperwork, but it would be sent to BMW

I gave a bad review when BMW sent a request. About an hour later a phone call came from a man who identified himself as one of the owners. I told him I was not happy with his service department and felt the they did not know how to troubleshoot a simple problem. He called back again. I was told the magneto and alternator had been replaced but did not solve the problem, but the stator did. Come on if you BS a customer at least do not treat him like a complete idiot and remember to use the same BS each dealing.

Enough bitching. I hope somebody can answer my question. Maybe my selling dealer can if I call.

Bob

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The new Starter Clutch/ Alternator Flywheel part number SHOULD be better than the original one but only time will tell. It should solve the bolt backing out issue which damages the stator by no longer using bolts. Uses riveted construction instead. It also solves the single starter clutch spring breakage issue.
Now I’ve got coolant leaking out of the glycol pump vent line. Grrrrrrr!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts