BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 BMW G310 GS
42 Posts
It is normal for the first oil to look like that. They use different oil( I think it is called “break in/dino oil ) when the engine is new. That is why you must do the 1st oil change after 600 miles/ 1000 km.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is normal for the first oil to look like that. They use different oil( I think it is called “break in/dino oil ) when the engine is new. That is why you must do the 1st oil change after 600 miles/ 1000 km.
Perfect, thank you very much for the info.

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2 Sport.
159 Posts
The dealer stated that they do not use break in oil (=just mineral oil).
It is the same engine oil as always. :rolleyes:
Maybe this is something of the past.

I have changed my engine oil three times before it hit 1.000 km.
I did use mineral oil instead of the dealer.
But this colour was not my first service.
Just black and some minor metal on the magnetic drain plug.
(My S1000R had a lot more..)

·
Registered
159 Posts
@Worldbeater . Just out of curiosity, Why did you change the oil 3 times in the first 1000km(600 miles)??
Some extra care .. I was surprised after my questions at the dealer that it was not mineral oil.
I accidentally ran into some bottles of cheap mineral oil (extra discount on last bottles) and decided to use that for the brake in period.
After the first service it was getting dark very quickly.
This is where I thought that an extra oil changement would be nice after only 400 kilometers extra.
It was not planned...

And finally I did it a third time as I wanted to use all oil that I have bought.

For warranty reasons the dealer must do the service.
It was changed there at 1.200 kilometers.
But they do not know that I already changed it a lot. Too many times. 🤣

After a test run on the dyno I have changed it again at approx. 2.500 kilometers (2018).

Every year the dealer must change the oil for the warranty.
They agreed to use my own choice of 10W50 (Mötul 7100).
I change it after six months for 5W40 at winter time.
It gives me a good feeling to have performed the best care. ;)
And the GS is used 12 months a year.. snow and low temperatures or rain is not a problem for me (driving a car is not making me happy, and a motorcycle can be parked almost everywhere).

·
Registered
2019 BMW G310 GS
42 Posts
@chewy land . At my first oil change , mine was exactly like yours, the bike had around 550 miles at the time. Also this is my third brand new bike in 4 years, the first two Honda’s CTX700 and then CTX 1300, the first oil changes on each of the bikes , the old oil looked more or less same like your , the oil had about 800-900 miles at the time of the oil change. At the time I have talked to a Honda mechanic ( I had the same concern as you) and he told me that the first oil was a break in( Dyno ) oil, and that it is normal to have that kind of a color. Now by profession I’m in the trucking industry, I deal with lots of oil , and I take it very seriously regarding all mechanical issues.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Super thank you for your awesome and eloquent answer. I will sleep better tonight. I am still about 300Km from 1st service and dreading it, such dopes here, wish I could just do everything myself.

Cheers from Bulgaria!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Super thank you for your awesome and eloquent answer. I will sleep better tonight. I am still about 300Km from 1st service and dreading it, such dopes here, wish I could just do everything myself.

Cheers from Bulgaria!!
TLDR Warning!
The benefit of doing your service yourself is, you know that all important things have been done. When you leave your bike to a workshop, you only know that you will be charged for all posts in the service program, but you can not know they have been carried out. Obvious things you can see, like if a broken light bulb has not been changed or the tires are worn down. I do all my service on my bikes myself. I don't want to pay somebody to check that my indicators and horn are working but returning the bike with old spark plug, worn out oil and dirty air cleaner element and charging me for the complete service. I can't proof it, but I'm sure my ATV came home after it's mandatory yearly service last year with only the front and rear differential oils changed. After the warranty time of two years ended this spring, I did the service myself. The engine oil looked more worn than what is to be expected from 32 hours and 300 km of use since April 2020. Also the spark plug cap was in the exact same position as when the engine was assembled in Taiwan. I strongly believe the technician at the workshop thought it to uncomfortable to remove all panels to get access to the spark plug. Almost all fasteners on my ATV are check marked at the factory. It's easy to see if they have been worked on, these had not.
In the Nordic countries bikes are mostly leisure vehicles used during a short season. At the beginning of the season everybody wants to have their bikes serviced. Also during the short summer the workshops are fully booked. It's easy for the technicians to take shortcuts to get bikes in and out quickly. The effects of un-done service doesn't show until after a couple of years. Then the warranty is no longer valid. I take a calculated risk by doing my own service knowing the job is really and properly done. The only time I could have had use of a warranty was when my water pump started leaking. As that happened after 2 years 3½ months after the bike was registered, the warranty had expired, BMW Nordic refused to cover the repair.

·
Registered
159 Posts

Cheers from Bulgaria!!
The first service is really bullshit.
They only change the oil+filter en perform standard checks anybody can do without any technical knowledge.
Brake fluid is replaced after two years; this is an easy job.
Just when the valves needs to be set, they open the engine.
This is after 20k.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts