BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People seem to have installed complete exhaust systems as they are available. If you have can you tell me if as it looks, the stock muffler attaches to the exhaust with a clamp. I may be wrong, but it the muffler is removable I can wait for a slip on to become available. Then if I need warranty service I can just re install the original muffler. Most bikes I've owned didn't need a complete system for better sound and a small performance gain and weight loss.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Looks like the stock G310R exhaust system is one piece from start to end. I think the clamp you refer to is just to attach the system to the bike's frame (I don't think there is a joint underneath that clamp). That is why we don't see many aftermarket offers for slip-ons only and I doubt we'll see many, if any! (as it would involve cutting current pipe with no easy way to attach a slip-on and virtually no possibility to revert back to stock unless rewelding - not the best scenario)

The 2 colors make it looks like it's 2 different pieces but looking at the diagram you see a welded joint and just 1 single part number for the full system... :(

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The parts diagram explains it all. Thank you! I usually use slip on exhausts to save some weight and for better sound, the g310r is so light stock saving 15 pounds is not an issue. The sound stock is ok when you rev it and it' sounds angry, I wear foam ear plugs so the boring exhaust sound at idle and cruising speed is something I can live with.

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
you can get the Akras fitted by BMW. The price is not to bad compared to the systems that you can get on ebay, less than $100 extra and it's fitted by BMW.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Any way the stock exhaust can be modded to make it a bit more free flowing?

Would be good if there was an easily removable db killer which could be extracted like on some KTMs.

·
Registered
340 Posts
you can get the Akras fitted by BMW. The price is not to bad compared to the systems that you can get on ebay, less than $100 extra and it's fitted by BMW.
I wonder if getting it fitted would void or change the warranty at all.
MY dealer is the one who told me about the Akrapovic exhaust. The owner of the dealership after hearing mine told the sales manager to order one for the next G 310 R they get in so I doubt it would. You may want to check with your dealer though because it could be different depending in what dealer you go to.

·
Registered
142 Posts
MY dealer is the one who told me about the Akrapovic exhaust. The owner of the dealership after hearing mine told the sales manager to order one for the next G 310 R they get in so I doubt it would. You may want to check with your dealer though because it could be different depending in what dealer you go to.
Well, as far as things go, it's BMW who provide the warranty, not the dealers.
Here's the relevant excerpt from the 2016 BMW warranty concerning the use of non genuine parts
Non-BMW Parts: While you may elect to use non-genuine BMW parts for maintenance or repair services, BMW is not obligated to pay for repairs of the non-genuine BMW parts or for repairs of any damage resulting from the use of the non-genuine parts.
So from that, there is the possibility that if the bike suffered from any engine damage, BMW could turn down a claim on the basis that design performance was changed due to the different exhaust.
Personally, I can't see any reason for that happening - the fuelling is closed loop and seeing as your system maintains that, it should be tuning to how BMW set it up for regardless.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It does not void warranty. At least in USA. It is illegal from them to void the warranty.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bottom line the best you will get out of an aftermarket exhaust system on the baby GS is a louder (and subjectively) better sounding note. Of course, that is in addition to saving a few kilograms.
There are no noticeable power gains, although the removal of the cat may allow the engine to rev a little easier.
So if you want to change the sound of your bike, buy an aftermarket system. But don't expect fireworks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Aliexpress and E-bay er selling very cheap and good exhaust systems from China. The muffler woud be better with a more dark sound. But when you buy this system you can always do this on a later stage. (Or buy this piece separately)

My BMW dealer has installed it for me. (+€80)

It only fits the G310R and not GS. The GS has longer travel of the rear suspension.
They tell everybody it fits both.............................

On my GS I have bought a Dominator exhaust from Polen. Has to refit it still.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi are the exhaust pipe flange on the exhaust port lay flat when tightened on the engine blocks when you install it? I also bought those china oem pipes, looks good but seems the pipe port connection is too long that the flange doesnt stay flat on the engine block. Though i able. To install it without air leaks.

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Aliexpress and E-bay er selling very cheap and good exhaust systems from China. The muffler woud be better with a more dark sound. But when you buy this system you can always do this on a later stage. (Or buy this piece separately)

It only fits the G310R and not GS. The GS has longer travel of the rear suspension.

Ok.... it’s stupid question time, but I also have an aftermarket exhaust system yet to be fitted which is similar for n design, BUT I want to know, What’s the larger canister on the vertical down pipe? Is this the cat?? I’ve got the same thing on mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi are the exhaust pipe flange on the exhaust port lay flat when tightened on the engine blocks when you install it? I also bought those china oem pipes, looks good but seems the pipe port connection is too long that the flange doesnt stay flat on the engine block. Though i able. To install it without air leaks.
Does this fit ? Is it the welded pipe ? Or did you fix this problem ?

Ok.... it’s stupid question time, but I also have an aftermarket exhaust system yet to be fitted which is similar for n design, BUT I want to know, What’s the larger canister on the vertical down pipe? Is this the cat?? I’ve got the same thing on mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think this is the Catalyst ? Akrapovic sells one with and without this chamges this cannister

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found the stock pipe way too heavy and restrictive- and sounded a bit lame. So had a Dominator pipe fitted. Cheap as chips (compared to many others) and sounds a whole lot more punchy. Definite power increase also 👍

Sorry couldn't attach YouTube link but search " BMWG310GS Dominator Pipe'' to hear the sound and some of my thoughts on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found the stock pipe way too heavy and restrictive- and sounded a bit lame. So had a Dominator pipe fitted. Cheap as chips (compared to many others) and sounds a whole lot more punchy. Definite power increase also 👍

Sorry couldn't attach YouTube link but search " BMWG310GS Dominator Pipe'' to hear the sound and some of my thoughts on it.
Did you encounter any problems ? Got a remap?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts