BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Underpowered? People have travelled the world on Honda CT90's, that's 90 cc with 7 hp. The question is how much in a hurry one want's to travel. The faster you drive, the less you see.
I am more into visiting places(Top 10) than roads and also few country rides in each country. so maximum of 120km/hr is what i can with pillion and luggage and I am looking for such bikes.

Yes , off late I am into enjoying drive by going slow. But its tough to overcome old habits of sheer speed thrills.;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would say possible but not comfortable. In my view power is a problem but I see comfort an loading as the major problem
My wife says that the room for the passenger is too narrow when I have the top case. She also says that piece of seat dedicated to the passenger is too small and thin.
The power of the G310GS is sufficient but a little more would be better.
As said, when choosing the bike you should also consider a model where you can do by yourself basic repair and maintenance

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I would say possible but not comfortable. In my view power is a problem but I see comfort an loading as the major problem
My wife says that the room for the passenger is too narrow when I have the top case. She also says that piece of seat dedicated to the passenger is too small and thin.
The power of the G310GS is sufficient but a little more would be better.
As said, when choosing the bike you should also consider a model where you can do by yourself basic repair and maintenance
I intend to avoid top case just to provide pillion comfort. Yes , look and right away i felt its small seat for pillion but now you confirmed it. thanks. thought BMW brand would have done something exceptional there but its not the case I guess.

I planned to learn not just basic but near intermediate level repair by attending workshops after choosing the bike.

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2 Sport.
215 Posts
It surprised me that the GS is delivered with different front sprockets depending on the country where it is sold.
Here in Europa and Amerika (suppose a lot other countries) it is 16T, in Asian countries they ride more roads without tarmac, and they have 15T.
For only highway use at higher speed it is even possible to change to 17T.
I have not changed the 16T, because for me it is a nice compromise between torque, revs and speed (110..115 km/u is comfortable).

I drive with my sun every other week, and this bike can do the job (35 km highway).
There is no top case on the back of the bike.
Footpeg distance is fine, and the seat seems big enough?
I have the higher seat installed. Our combined weight 160 kg, but Hyperpro springs installed.

For longer distance every bike can be fitted (must be) with some kind of gel seat. :cool:

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2 Sport.
215 Posts
thats what exactly i was looking for. I doubt it would with pillion. so I might look into v storm 650 or honda cb500x. But still can't let this GS go.
Can you lift these bike in case of an accident? ;)

My suspension dealer has got a lot off road friends.
One was riding in the woods with a CRF250 and just bought the G310GS.
Everything that he didn't need has been put of the bike and he was able to lower the weight a lot.
And he likes the BMW more than the real off road bike. 😳

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Can you lift these bike in case of an accident? ;)

My suspension dealer has got a lot off road friends.
One was riding in the woods with a CRF250 and just bought the G310GS.
Everything that he didn't need has been put of the bike and he was able to lower the weight a lot.
And he likes the BMW more than the real off road bike. 😳
here are weights approximately:
gs310-- 176 kg
v storm -- 235 kg
honda cb500x -- 200kg

Yes the light weight is always the goal.There are proper ways to lift the heavy vehicles like those. its a skill in itself.once learned, it should be easy.
I am curious cat here as what more can be put off g310gs which is already light?
we cannot avoid crash bars, engine guards .
How much weight was he able to put off ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought one, so I cannot be certain, but I know 2 things.

1, If you have guarantee it covers you for 5 years or 500 000 km! – I guess this covers your world trip!
2, I was riding (20 years ago) with my wife a VT250F Honda with luggage across the Alps several times. 35bhp was perfectly capable to handle road we took, never felt we really need any more power for pleasure ride. Though never speed, and when we ride, we really are traveling, kind of enjoying the scenery, what you will do on your long journey like that.
So this is the reason why we bought 310 gs, because in reality a 190+ kg bike is not what you want for every day work on the mountains (especially with passenger) . You have to be able to push it, pull it by hand in number of cases. You will fail with the bike too for sure when the road gets very tricky, but his is just part of the fun. When you do, you have to be able to lift the whole bloody thing without taking all the luggage off!

What I also noticed, people who really do long distance travel, many times they actually sell 750+cc bikes and go for a smaller and lighter bike.
How many times I have heard “ wish I had a 300cc bike! “
Well, in my opinion all bike is capable, but for 2 person 300 is really a reasonable option!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts