BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After sitting through 3 light changes at a light with a turn arrow, I realized that I was not heavy enough to trigger the green light... I pulled way up hoping the car behind me would pull closer to trigger it but he was "giving me space" I had to ultimately turn and go a different was since the green was only triggered by the presence of a car...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah - it's not weight, it's mass. Not enough ferrous metal to generate a current in the loop to trigger the light change. In addition to what the article referenced above states, Stopping and re-starting your engine will sometimes wake the sensor up - the electrical activity disrupts the loop.

Oklahoma used to have pressure treadles that actually were activated by weight (they looked like a black space bar set into the road with a metal frame around them). I "mastered" the technique of standing on the pegs as I approached and bouncing my butt on the seat as the rear tire went across the treadle.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I work in a building with gates to the parking lot. The pressure plates are weight sensitive and my K75 had no problem setting off the gates.

My 310 is not heavy enough so I have to go around the gate on my way in, in the morning and in the evening when I leave I have to go around the gate on an in-bound gate to get out.

I have to get up the in-bound ramp pretty quick just in case a car is entering the parking lot...

One option is to come in on a weekend day with a battery powered sawsall (SP?) and trip an out-bound gate...

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
Yep, had to run a red light the other day as my bike did not trigger the induction coil. As far as I know it's ok to do so if the lights don't change after 2-3 cycles as they are classified as defective lights.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I did a bit of digging in Virginia's laws and came up with this:

"§ 46.2-833
B. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a driver of a motorcycle or moped or a bicycle rider approaches an intersection that is controlled by a traffic light, the driver or rider may proceed through the intersection on a steady red light only if the driver or rider (i) comes to a full and complete stop at the intersection for two complete cycles of the traffic light or for two minutes, whichever is shorter..."

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, it is a problem with a lot of traffic signal lights here in the USA. The units are getting older and they can go out of calibration over the years. It is expensive to fix because the part that goes out of calibration may be under the pavement and not in the above ground control box. Even 750+ pound Harley Hogs have problems at some of the signals in my little town.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/publicroads/08may/02.cfm

·
Registered
49 Posts
In our town we have gone away from in ground loops, too many failures.
Now our intersection traffic signal lights are controlled by overhead proximity cameras.
Work well until big fat, wet snowflakes jam them up. Even though they are heated, sometimes
it takes a bit for them to get back on track.
Space permitting, traffic circles, roundabouts are the best.:grin2:

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's been a while since I installed a loop system, but there was a three position switch to select the desired sensitivity. Many people set it for the least sensitive position because we all know that is better. ( Ha). It only takes a second to open the box and move the switch. Also in spite of what the safe riding course teaches about lane position at traffic lights, look for the lines indicating where the sensing wires are buried in the asphalt and try to land with the motor on an intersection of three wires. I have asked at a parking lot with controlled gates and they were set to allow motorcycles to open the bar.

Bob

·
Registered
308 Posts
Not noticed the red light problem in UK, maybe different system but with all our traffic there is always another vehicle comes behind you so maybe they trigger the light change.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not noticed the red light problem in UK, maybe different system but with all our traffic there is always another vehicle comes behind you so maybe they trigger the light change.
Not usually a problem in the UK but there is a set of traffic lights near me in Stoke on Trent that will not change when a motorcycle uses the lights - I usually have to wait for a car to come alongside me to trigger a response from the lights.

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
Not usually a problem in the UK but there is a set of traffic lights near me in Stoke on Trent that will not change when a motorcycle uses the lights - I usually have to wait for a car to come alongside me to trigger a response from the lights.
Just send an e-mail or call the council, they can adjust the sensitivity, they did this for me for a set of lights along my commute, the problem was fixed within 48hrs. It usually wasn't a problem when a car got up close behind me, but if people were being courteous and leaving a bit of distance, their cars would not set off the induction loop.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I put a couple of candy-bar sized magnets on the "engine fairing" and they work well getting in and out of my work garage and the traffic lights now know when I am there.

·
Registered
469 Posts
In our town we have gone away from in ground loops, too many failures.
Now our intersection traffic signal lights are controlled by overhead proximity cameras.
Work well until big fat, wet snowflakes jam them up. Even though they are heated, sometimes
it takes a bit for them to get back on track.
Space permitting, traffic circles, roundabouts are the best.:grin2:
That's the way we have gone here too in little ole Leduc Alberta.
Loop failures were getting out of hand because of the freeze/thaw/ road heaves wrecking the loop system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts