BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got advice from K&N that they now have an air filter for the G310's in the catalog :smile2:, no stock yet though.:frown2:

K&N BM-3117 Air Filter

Product Information and Specifications for K&N Part BM-3117
2018 BMW G310R 313
2018 BMW G310GS 313
2017 BMW G310R 313

Reactions: deegee and Serrated

·
Registered
103 Posts
Very interested in seeing how much of a difference this is going to make versus the stock one!

·
Registered
4 Posts
BMC FIlter

I went for the BMC filter and an Akrapovic exhaust...

I also went -1 tooth on the rear sprocket

Rides much better now, better response and revs through the gears nicely

not sure what power gains I have but it doesn't really matter

·
Registered
31 Posts
The little filter is tiny! I can't see it making much performance difference, but it would be nice to have the option to clean instead of replace the filter. I'll definitely buy one when they are available.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I went for the BMC filter and an Akrapovic exhaust...

I also went -1 tooth on the rear sprocket

Rides much better now, better response and revs through the gears nicely

not sure what power gains I have but it doesn't really matter
Where did you get the sprocket?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd be happy to, but the bike will be in hibernation mode until approximately the start of April, so someone (in a warmer place) may very well beat me to it. It will be run with the Akrapovic race exhaust, so hopefully the bike will breathe a little more freely with both on there.

I'll post up some pictures comparing it with the factory filter soon though, for anyone who is interested!

·
Registered
31 Posts
As promised! Great little filter that will undoubtedly outflow the OEM filter, but definitely at the cost of filtration efficiency. Fit a little better than them OEM for me, it's not as squashed when you pivot the air snorkel up into place.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm expecting my K&N filter to arrive day after tomorrow(Thursday). I will update once fitted and tested.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up pre-ordering a pair of them which turned up today. Should have also grabbed some of the oil to be covered by the same shipping, Meh!

Have a bush bash trip planned, will be interested to see if much difference to the running from stock.

·
Registered
84 Posts
@Centsational , @Big Shot, Do either of have a G310GS, if so, did you have to remove almost all the front plastics to get to the air filter?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hi francoisps,

Yes, on a GS the side flashes and the tank cover have to come off. There's about a dozen screws involved. It took me an hour to remove/replace the tank plastics, swap over the K&N air filter plus an engine oil and filter change.

Bike does run smoother with the K&N filter.

Reactions: francoisps

·
Registered
132 Posts
What does going -1 tooth on the rear sprocket do?
shortens up gearing, at 70mph you will be turning 171rpm less with one less tooth on sprocket.

as a general rule of thumb one tooth on the counter shaft is equal to three teeth on the drive sprocket.

google gearingcommander for a fun web site to experiment with sprocket changes.

my K&N has arrived, I showed it to my brother and he asked if I was putting a K&N into a weedeater! :grin2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have also made some changes to my GS recently. I have replaced the stock exhaust with akrapovic racing line(carbon fiber) and BMC air filter(stock replacement) in place of stock air filter. I have noticed some good gains and great growling from the bike but I have also noticed some exhaust popping whenever I close the throttle. After all this now i am little concerned about the air fuel mixture. Have noticed anything similar with your setup ?

Ps - I have heard many people saying that the O2 sensor would self correct and take care of it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have also made some changes to my GS recently. I have replaced the stock exhaust with akrapovic racing line(carbon fiber) and BMC air filter(stock replacement) in place of stock air filter. I have noticed some good gains and great growling from the bike but I have also noticed some exhaust popping whenever I close the throttle. After all this now i am little concerned about the air fuel mixture. Have noticed anything similar with your setup ?

Ps - I have heard many people saying that the O2 sensor would self correct and take care of it.
Ñot being an expert on such matters I assume that an ECU is designed to work within certain parameters, in this case standard filter and silencer. Can't see why BMW would spend money developing something to cope with what would be, to them, unknown parameters that might be adopted by various "tuners".

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of electronics can comment?

Worth noting that Euro 5 apparently will require measures to prevent such tampering.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts