BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where I ride lane splitting isn’t allow so watching this probably adds to my WTF feeling. These guys are in my mind what gives motorcyclists a bad name. All of that put aside the video does show the “Maneuver ability” of the GS.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Yes there are lots of bikers who lane-split dangerously, especially on the highway. As in, doing 80 mph in between cars that are doing 65 mph. I lane split every day but mostly at speeds under 15 mph in between cars that are just sitting waiting for traffic light changes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Brazilian style. This is everyday on the streets of Sao Paulo!

All of the deliveries in town are made by motorcycle (pizza, documents, flowers... whatever) and we have a looooot of these guys (motoboys) running like mad dogs. A couple of them die a day and don't dare leave no space for them to split lanes because you will lose your side mirrors.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Anyone can ride like an *** and crazy organ doner maniac like that guy.

It makes my ride today to work look so uneventful. I'm on my wife's G310R behind a Ducati 999. (I sold my Ducati 999 last weekend).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fwiw, in California lane splitting is considered a safety measure, since at stoplights you can avoid getting rear-ended. Numbers have backed this up.

I used to split on the highway, but had some buttmunch in a pickup try to deliberately door me at 50mph in heavy traffic on the I-5. The fact that such idiocy exists has deterred me since (actually I'm happy to stay off the freeway, even on bigger bikes).

Splitting is what makes scooters and bicycles so awesome in dense city traffic like the San Francisco Financial District, of course. Because even a slow bicycle is faster than the auto traffic.

·
Super Moderator
956 Posts
We also have lane filtering in Australia, it is considered a safety measure. However, lane splitting (at speeds above 30km/h) is illegal. On highways and roads with speed limits over 90km/h we can use the shoulder to lane filter.

The other day I managed to get home from the city in about 15 minutes, lane filtering most of the way in stand still traffic, it would have taken me over 45 minutes in a car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As a Bay Area resident: now that summer is here and there are more bikes on the road, it seems like cars are making space for me and are weirded out if I _don't_ filter/split. It feels really awkward when someone moves over for me and then I have to sit next to them because there isn't enough space to filter up ahead :/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts