BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I live in the Cascade Mountains of Western Washington night riding (or early AM) is always a challenge given the number of forest rats (deer, etc.) constantly trying to kill me. I tried another set of aux lights that I had for another bike but at 4” they made the petite profile of the 310 look pretty bug-eyed! So I installed a set of Cyclops 2” NXG LEDs, 10 degrees left and 29 degrees right, activated with high beams. The proportion to the bike is much better and WOW are they bright!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
You mentioned that they are activated by high beam. Does that mean they do not show as on with just the regular light? Meaning, do they act as running lights as well?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You mentioned that they are activated by high beam. Does that mean they do not show as on with just the regular light? Meaning, do they act as running lights as well?
Correct. I have them wired to the high beam through a relay. As they are aimed high and wide they are exclusively intended for rural night use. I use Skene Photon Blaster LEDs mounted on the forks as running lights.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where did you tap into the high beam wiring?
Hi Rich - I tapped the high beam wiring near the plug at the rear of the headlight housing. I just stripped the wiring cover and used a posi-tap. Not the most elegant solution but it was quick and easy.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
956 Posts
Hi Rich - I tapped the high beam wiring near the plug at the rear of the headlight housing. I just stripped the wiring cover and used a posi-tap. Not the most elegant solution but it was quick and easy.
What colour are the high beam wires?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Which footrest kit do you use on your Hepco engine protection bar? Is it more comfortable than the original footrest kit?
I also ordered the Hepco engine bar and tank bar. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Excellent! Please also give details of the engine guards and highway pegs. Thanks.
Mike

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don’t recall the wire color and am away at the moment and can’t check the bike. I do recall there are three wires to the light and from the rider’s perspective it was the wire on the right. It was pretty easy to determine as i unplugged the light connector and used a voltmeter while switching high beams on and off. I can look later to try and identify the wiring color.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Excellent! Please also give details of the engine guards and highway pegs. Thanks.
Mike
Engine guards are Hepco and Becker. A link to the seller is in a post further down this thread. The highway pegs are from Iliumworks. They are the same pegs i have on my RT but these have a more generic and adjustable mount fashioned for attachment to engine guards. The only criticism I can offer of them is that they are stupid expensive. But they are also the best I have ever seen. I have used them on numerous prior bikes.

http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=27-100BL&pID=80

·
Registered
17 Posts
I ended up tapping off the high beam and ground at the headlight plug. The only hassle was maneuvering the tight rubber boot off and back on without putting too much stress on any of the parts or wires. There were 3 contacts, one on each side and one on top. The side ones were high beam and ground, and the top was low beam. I thought ground was on the starboard (throttle) side and high beam hot was on the port (clutch) side, but that might be at odds with what Gerald reports, so check if the polarity matters to you. I did not see wire colors as I tapped in at the plug itself and the wires are wrapped or hidden by the boot.

·
Registered
129 Posts
installed the Denali D2 2.0 trioptic with datadim system today. started with one spot lens and one flood.

High beam only using Osram silver star ultra, rated brightest halogen bulb.

High beam with driving lights.

·
Registered
129 Posts
decided that if I am going to put riding lights on the front might as well put one on the back.
installed a Denali B6 LED license plate brake light.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Thanks for that.

Here on Oz we are supposed to run spot lights (for seeing kangaroos at night, not for being seen by cars in traffic) triggered by high beam only, never on low beam.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts