BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

next month i need to do an about 3500km total trip and i am thinking about using my 310gs. 80% of the trip will be on 110km/hr freeways from Gold Coast to Canberra Australia with 2 side trips at 800km and 400km respectively. I have already fitted usb charger, quad lock, hand guards. Not going anywhere remote, plenty of fuel stations etc, i have a top box coming in the next few days and i am hoping to put a nice back between the box and myself for some lower back support. I have had the 1k service done and will be at around 4k on the odometer when i leave. Any advice? Bike can handle it?

I can think some issues will be right hand fatigue and foot vibration when the speed gets high.

Any advice would be appreciated.

· Registered
GS 310
25 Posts
Hi D1v1ine,
I like your idea to do a long ride.. Back in the 70's I started with a 350 Yamaha 2stroke. We drove all around Germany, Austria, Benelux and Denmark. Low budget at this time forced me to camp along the ways.
You will get used to the vibration after 2 Days. My 2stroke rattler is compatible to the g310. Except for the speed, the Yamaha was faster.
To carry my camping gear I used a Kayak roll. Packing the soft material towards your back and the hard stuff i.g.cookstove kitchenware on the other side. This will give you a nice comfy backrest. As side bags I converted 2 Amo bowes from the Army (told you about low budget) and here we go.
I can not see, the g310 can handle a trip like this. I bought one last year and sold my 1200 do to the fact I could't handle the weight anymore. We all get older (69).
Last year I planed to drive the Dempster Hwy in the Yukon, but the wild fires up north cancelled my trip. This year I have in my mind going coast to coast in Canada. Traditionally you dip your front wheel in the Pacific and do this again in the Atlantic. Some people try to telling me I'm nuts. But I mentioned in the beginning we drove in the 70's all over the place with small bikes. So why not today? If you had a 500cc bike back then you was the King of them all. I watched on you tube a guy who did an Alaska trip with a 100cc Honda.
One more thing, take enough Chain oil with you!
Happy riding and keep us posted.
Harald

· Registered
1,082 Posts
Like Harald said. I‘ve often placed a soft bag like a “dry bag” on passenger seat for back support. There’s even some groovy bags sold for just that, straps and everything. The bike itself is way down for the mission, might consider a larger windscreen. Have fun!
There’s all sort of throttle assists. From pricey throttle locks to simple “cramp buster” plastic devices. I’m into simple $8 plastic thingy.

· Registered
G310GS 2018
802 Posts
There is a nice accessory from Wunderlich... slightly more expensive.
I think I have one lying around somewhere. It was fitted on my R1200GS when I bought it. I never liked the thing. I used a throttle rocker instead. For me the benefit from the throttle rocker is that the throttle returns to idle when grip is released. The benefit of the Wunderlich mechanical cruise control is that you can release your hand from the grip without loosing speed. I've never had a need for that. I needed something to unload my soar (old battle wounded) wrist. On my G310GS I hardly use the throttle rocker. I find the throttle grip being very light to turn and I mostly have a very soft grip on the handle. Usually the problem of right hand numbness and fatigue is caused by a too hard grip on the handle.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the input all,

i am 6'7 so i am not sure if a higher windscreen would do much?

i have been cleaning and adjusting my chain around 500-1k,

little tyre wear so far because i dont give her a hard time,

i got my wife a little beneli 125cc tornado a month before my 310 and i thought it might be fun to ride that but its top speed is around 80 with my size sitting on it hehe also its not permitted on some of the freeways, also one of my side trips is through some mountains from Canberra to the South Coast and some parts are steep, hairpins etc

in prep i have done a 150km return run, then beginning of this week i did a 300km return run and except for the lower/mid back pinch it was a whole lotta fun (hoping some support will stop this or at least keep it mild)

· Registered
1,082 Posts
Won’t cause too much drag if it behind you eh? Except side winds…..remember the advised weight limit on the rack is 15lbs. I so love locking, waterproof storage for helmet. One silly thing is with a big enough box, you could be protective of turn sigs if bike naps on ya.
Wether it be injury, genetics or just “limp wristed“ it’s nice the 310 spins so easy. The man correct, I’ve had more hassles gripping too hard than vibration etc. I could see electronic cruise on 5he next iteration along with the big screen if there is a ”next”.

scroll down the Wonderlich page “throttle rocker” awesome kit for 310

· Premium Member
614 Posts
I did an 11,400 km trip on my 310GS and loved it. Given your percentage of highway time, your biggest problem might be boredom and highway hypnosis. I use audiobooks that keep me engaged via a good plot and lively music to help stave that off.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
box arrive, solid as, looks great, BUT the dopes in China didnt put a moisture gel pack inside it and its FULL of mould grrrrr.....already emailed and waiting reply. But 80l box for under 400aud delivered was a nice price! The liner is either really good knockoff or leather, it really feels and smells like leather (less the mould lol)
Mesh Architecture Rectangle Wood Line

Building Mesh Automotive tire Automotive exterior Composite material

Automotive tire Grey Mesh Material property Tread

Mesh Wire fencing Grey Line Composite material

· Premium Member
614 Posts
Sorry, but you have a problem that needs to be thought through carefully.

Your 80L topcase's empty weight is 10kg. I could not find a maximum payload for the G310GS's luggage rack in my manual. However, the manual does say that BMW's 30L topcase for the G310GS has a max payload of 5kg. I had to search a bit, but I found a BMW dealer web site that says BMW 30L topcase weighs 3.12 kg (see link below*). This means the max weight for the luggage rack is just 8.12 kg. Your empty 80L topcase exceeds this weight by 1.88 kg. When you fill your 80L topcase, you will exceed the luggage racks max weight by the weight of the contents plus 1.88 kg. The question then becomes what problem, if any, might this excess weight will cause.

The luggage rack is fastened to the rear frame by six 8mm bolts. The picture below shows the four speed nuts where four of the bolts fasten to the side of the rear frame; the other two bolts fasten into the very back of the rear frame. These six bolts can hold a lot more that the above weights (Straight Pull = 1,110 lbs; 45° Pull (Shoulder Only) = 278 lbs; see reference below**), so I don't think bolts are going to fail. The luggage rack itself looks like cast aluminum which is strong and light, more so than the above weights.

The rear frame itself is designed to carry the weight of the rider and passenger from the seat upward (the weight of their legs is carried by the foot rests which are fastened directly to the main frame), so I don't think the rear frame is at risk.

Given the above, I don't know where BMW got the 5kg payload limit for their 30L topcase, but it doesn't seem justified.

I'm going to stop there and see if anyone else has an idea on this and whether this is a problem to monitored (i.e., watch for cracks forming in the luggage rack or rear frame?) or a PROBLEM as in don't do this.

*Where I found the 3.12 kg weight for the BMW 30L topcase (Part No. 77439829379):

**Where I found the pull weights for 8mm bolts:

Luggage rack:
Automotive lighting Automotive design Bicycle part Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Rear Frame:
Font Automotive exterior Triangle Parallel Auto part

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for that info Jerry,
i see a lot of respect for you on here, i also read a few of you talking about weight loadings and possible failure points.

I have a friend who is an Engineer with Siemens rail automation and i had a long chat with him about this problem (yeah you scared me a bit) He did some digging for me and came back with his idea, that the loading is more about stacking too much weight behind the rear wheel. With an amount of weight in the box, rider + passenger the risk is NOT the rack breaking but more that you might be going up an incline, give it some juice and end up with the bike on top of you. Structurally speaking he thinks 20-30kgs without a passenger would not be an issue at all but without knowing more he would NOT guarantee it, only his opinion.

Having said this, i will carefully watch the frame and rack for any signs of failure. When i have a passenger i will be using the box for the 2 helmets more than anything else, when i travel i plan to put anything with weight in a bag strapped between the box and myself and use it for some back support.

· Registered
52 Posts
I have ridden over 40,000 miles, mostly highway, and that 80L box is dangerous and way too big. For long distance, you will want no larger than 35L, and use a dry bag on the back seat for luggage. or side cases made for the baby GS. Use a throttle lock, taller windshield, and handlebar risers. Move around on your seat and stand when you get sore, and be sure to drink enough and take adequate rests. The 310GS is a really capable bike on the highway. Be sure to be in the right gear for passing, and watch your tank level so that you don't find yourself empty of gas without a station in your remaining range. I carry a Rotopax gas can for emergencies. Use a small padlock chain for locking your helmet, or get some cheap helmet locks off ebay or amazon that you can attach to your license plate or your engine guards. Highway Pegs on your guards are a really nice addition. Be careful of your quad lock. If you don't have the vibration damping accessory, you will kill the camera on your phone. Ask me how I know ;)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts