BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been riding an annual October trip to Eureka Springs, Arkansas for barbecue and twisty roads for multiple decades. This is a small, invitation only ride of BMW owners with a group of never more than 10 bikes.
This year I rode the 310GS on this nice 1,500+ mile weekend. Every bike except one was at least four times my size. There were seven 1200 or 1250 GS's, and one 1200RS. The smallest bike to mine was a 1000 XR, that only puts out 165 horsepower.
Trip summary, the 310GS kept up just fine and was a hit the entire weekend. We keep to state and county highways, so no interstate. Although we did have stretches of state highway that we kept a solid 75mph for periods of time.
I just kept telling the leader that we are limited to my 82mph top speed and my need for gas stops every 150 miles.
I have done this Bubba Ride on an 1150GS, a Honda ST1300 and a Yamaha FJR 1300. I can say that none of them were as much fun as the 310GS when it came to these types of roads to ride. We averaged around 400 miles per day and the 310GS was as comfortable as can be. The nickname given by the group, which I am afraid has stuck is now "Baby Bore".
I now have almost 8,000 miles on the 310GS in the 9 months that I have owned it. I have set it up as a small touring bike with a Givi windscreen, Shad SH35 touring bags, Weiser LED turn signal and brake light conversion and Denali D2 driving lights. I also have Barkbusters and use the Barkbuster winter covers this time of year. I have even rigged up power to my tank bag by running a splitter off of the lead for my heated gear. I run this into my tank bag and can then run a iPhone Lightning cable back out to keep my phone charged.
My friends laughed when I went from the FJR to the 310GS. With the exception of long distance riding I don't miss the big heavy bike at all. The 310GS is just too much fun. Now I see why people say it is the most fun for the money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you do LED headlight? If so, what did you use? Was it "plug and play"? Love the running lights.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you do LED headlight? If so, what did you use? Was it "plug and play"? Love the running lights.....
I did add an LED headlight. I went with the Cyclops LED and had it installed by Gateway BMW here in St. Louis, MO when they were doing my recent 6,000 mile service. It is plug and play though, very simple to install.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I have ridden the 310 with my friends with much larger bikes. The only problem I had was when they would speed around (pass) a couple of cars on a two lane road, The 310 doesn't have the acceleration from above 60 mph that the big boys have to get around vehicles. They quickly left me behind as they continued to pass cars. But I still prefer to ride the 310 instead of my SV650. It's just more fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I have ridden the 310 with my friends with much larger bikes. The only problem I had was when they would speed around (pass) a couple of cars on a two lane road, The 310 doesn't have the acceleration from above 60 mph that the big boys have to get around vehicles. They quickly left me behind as they continued to pass cars. But I still prefer to ride the 310 instead of my SV650. It's just more fun.
Passing could be a challenge, but the 310GS did just fine...just needed planning. I have learned from years of this type of riding that I needed to stay in the front of the group. I rode in the third position at all times. The group can get spaced out when it takes some distance to get all bikes to make a pass. Then the bikes towards the back are doing 80+ or 90+ to get all caught back up. There was no way the 310 could do this, hence the strategic placement of riding towards the front.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts