BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My left mirror stem is loose and no matter what I do i cant seem to get it tightened in the right spot. When it does tighten it's about 45 degrees off from where its supposed to be. Is there a trick to the tightening? Thanks!

·
Registered
469 Posts
My left mirror stem is loose and no matter what I do i cant seem to get it tightened in the right spot. When it does tighten it's about 45 degrees off from where its supposed to be. Is there a trick to the tightening? Thanks!
Well, are you holding the mirror stem where you want it when you tighten the nut?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well, are you holding the mirror stem where you want it when you tighten the nut?
Slacken off the locknut first, rotate the mirror to where you want it and hold it in that place (as Tickster says, above), then tighten the locknut and you should be good.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
... noting that it might be a left hand thread. I don’t have my manual in front of me, but I do recall one of the stems has a LH thread.

·
Registered
142 Posts
... noting that it might be a left hand thread. I don’t have my manual in front of me, but I do recall one of the stems has a LH thread.
Well spotted....
page 42 of the manual says the right mirror has a left hand thread.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had to use red locktite on my. Every time I adjusted the mirror it would swing free. And this is after I had the BMW service technician tighten it. Grrr

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys..
All fixed. I may have to get dampeners though, at freeway speed, the vibration is so bad.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mine is being replaced under warranty. As its horrifically noisy at 4k to 5k rpm.

It's going tk take a month to get the parts from Germany tho

·
Registered
142 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mines in the stem I think. As I can touch the boot and it goes away...

I'll check tomorrow and might do a quick fix with your trick if is the glass...

Either way it's getting replaced later.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wonder why BMW (and others) don't just use a silicon washer between the mirror stem and handlebar, to dampen some of the vibration? I'm probably missing something here, but it makes sense on the surface. My 310 R isn't terrible for a single cylinder, regarding mirror vibration, but it's definitely blurry at most RPM's, to some degree.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nevermind the washer idea, wouldn't work at all. Any solid connection would transmit vibration. A semi-flexible stem perhaps?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts