BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Ive done aprox 2500 km and i bought the bike new november 2017. In North England, UK. I passed my test a week before purchasing with BMW rookie to rider scheme.

Its the 3 rd time this issue has happend in the last few months. Im in around 6-7000 rpm in 6th gear approaching 65mph. The bike begins to slow down quite dramatically. I drop to 5th looking for power and then 4th and sometimes i have to stop alltogether or only find power again down in 3rd.

Quite scary for a new rider. BMW blamed me the first time as they said it was the oxford muffs i had used to keep the wind of during the winter. They said at high speed they were pushing against the clutch/brakes. But the last time it happend they had been removed. No fault is being read in the dealers diagnostics and they are struggling to recreate the fault. Anyone had any similar issues/ or ideas on whats going wrong?

Ps. In the first week it stopped starting due to the fuel pump/pipe failing. Straigt after the 1st service the releay between the batterey fused/welded the contact points together forcing the starter motor to continusly try to start the engine until the batterey had completley drained without a key in the ignition!

·
Registered
33 Posts
That sounds horrible, I wish I had some advice but I can only say I ride at or exceeding 65 mph all the time and that's never happened to me. She'll keep climbing (albeit slowly) in 6th through about 9,500rpm where you'll be going close to 85. Definitely sounds like a one off issue, I hope you don't have a defective bike. Rest assured if you do BMW will replace it, it's happened to others on the forum. Hang in there and keep us updated, make the dealer figure it out.

·
Registered
142 Posts
From your description, sounds a bit like it could be fuel starvation - particularly seeing as you have had an issue early on with fuel pump / fuel lines. Intermittent faults are always really hard on mechanics / technicians to diagnose.
If it happens again sometime, I would suggest to quickly pull the clutch in and while coasting (freewheeling whatever) see if the engine revs freely or just goes "blaaah" - if it revs freely, it's getting fuel, let the clutch out again and if there's still no power to pull, it's not getting enough fuel for some reason. That kind of info should be helpful to go back to the dealer with.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hi

Ive done aprox 2500 km and i bought the bike new november 2017. In North England, UK. I passed my test a week before purchasing with BMW rookie to rider scheme.

Its the 3 rd time this issue has happend in the last few months. Im in around 6-7000 rpm in 6th gear approaching 65mph. The bike begins to slow down quite dramatically. I drop to 5th looking for power and then 4th and sometimes i have to stop alltogether or only find power again down in 3rd.

Quite scary for a new rider. BMW blamed me the first time as they said it was the oxford muffs i had used to keep the wind of during the winter. They said at high speed they were pushing against the clutch/brakes. But the last time it happend they had been removed. No fault is being read in the dealers diagnostics and they are struggling to recreate the fault. Anyone had any similar issues/ or ideas on whats going wrong?

Ps. In the first week it stopped starting due to the fuel pump/pipe failing. Straigt after the 1st service the releay between the batterey fused/welded the contact points together forcing the starter motor to continusly try to start the engine until the batterey had completley drained without a key in the ignition!
First off, I would find a new dealer, blaming your handguards for your issue is ridiculous. Surprised they didn't tell
you to crouch down lower when it happens.:surprise:
Second, I agree with the fuel starvation, which could be a number of reasons (filter, pump, etc.).
Or.....is your clutch slipping? Just a guess on that.
Maybe it's the ecu having an issue.
Regardless, the dealer should have the bike ASAP to figure it out before it causes a serious issue when in traffic.
Keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm another vote for a fuel issue.

As well as pump or filter, it could be a (partially) blocked vent, since it only happens after periods of higher power operation.

Possible but less likely (maybe even remote) : intermittently weak ignition, something loose that can flop around and partially block airflow through the airbox, accidentally dragging on the foot brake.

Getting a touch of water in the gas through a poorly sealed cap *could* explain the symptoms, but usually the engine will outright die, and you wouldn't see it only at high speed, unless he happens to start up and get out on the open road pretty well right after the rain several times.

Clutch slipping would be punctuated by high revs, which he didn't report, so that seems to be ruled out.

·
Super Moderator
877 Posts
I have noticed a slight loss in power, but ONLY when the engine was still cold and I was accelerating up the road in second gear in the higher revs, this disappears after about 300-400 meters or if the engine has been idling for some time. Don't know if this helps your situation but I though that I would let you know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all replies.

The bike went in on saturday, i got it back tuesday eve and BMW STILL could not find the fault. They drove it harder than i ever had (up to 90mph) and a technician took it home to do some longer tests and found nothing wong...

If/when it happens again i will have to take it back to the dealer... again! The head honcho on the service dept was very kind to me and wished he found a fault and seemed genuine, but it seems the saga continues on the g310.

I think it could be a cold morning issue. I keep the bike outside and i only get to the faster road in about less than a mile of setting off on my daily commute.

Ive been in touch with the head office on and off during all these faults and they said "if the issue has not been resolved" then "heres the link for the escalation/ complaints" route.

I might see now if i can get a cheap head camera so i can catch the issue happenning.

Only 18 more months till i can get out of this hire deal Woop Woop!...😉

Thanks again for all the support!

Viv

·
Super Moderator
877 Posts
Keep an eye on the engine temp when it happens, you might just need to warm up the engine a bit more before reaching those higher revs.

Is the engine running rich at lower temperatures? could this be causing a problem at higher revs? might be worthwhile asking the dealer this next time you talk to them.

·
Super Moderator
877 Posts
Should have mentioned that the answer to my questions is probably yes.

Running rich at high RPM will cause power loss.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Running rich at high RPM will cause power loss.
Yes - but that would be a progressive loss of power as you load up the engine more. This is more of an engine shutting down (i.e. he has to keep downshifting to get any power) due to lack of fuel (as others have noted).

I like the recommendation to get a cheap action camera and record it the next time it happens.

I HATE intermittent problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Viv (aka User Name),

Did they give you any tips for things to look at or check when the problem happens?

I suggest noting:

1. Condition of bike at start of this trip (eg., last run X hours before start of this trip, and parked outside overnight)
2. How long between engine start for this trip and beginning of malfunction?
3. How much high speed running happened on this trip before the malfunction was seen?
4. What was air temp at time of malfunction?
5. What was coolant temp at time of malfunction?
6. How long (minutes) did poor running last before it resolved?
7. What was the fuel level at the beginning of the malfunction?
8. What fuel (brand and grade) was in the tank at time of malfunction?
9. Anything else unusual, such as an odd display on the LCD, a funny smell (esp. from the brakes), or odd noise?

Just some thoughts. Good luck!
-- Rich

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for all replies.

The bike went in on saturday, i got it back tuesday eve and BMW STILL could not find the fault. They drove it harder than i ever had (up to 90mph) and a technician took it home to do some longer tests and found nothing wong...

If/when it happens again i will have to take it back to the dealer... again! The head honcho on the service dept was very kind to me and wished he found a fault and seemed genuine, but it seems the saga continues on the g310.

I think it could be a cold morning issue. I keep the bike outside and i only get to the faster road in about less than a mile of setting off on my daily commute.

Ive been in touch with the head office on and off during all these faults and they said "if the issue has not been resolved" then "heres the link for the escalation/ complaints" route.

I might see now if i can get a cheap head camera so i can catch the issue happenning.

Only 18 more months till i can get out of this hire deal Woop Woop!...😉

Thanks again for all the support!

Viv
Hi did you get this issue sorted out with your dealer/garage? As my bmw 310 gs has recently been crashed by a bmw technician, he reported my bike lost power and then front brake locked up. I like you had reported this exact same fault as well as a front brake issue numerous times.

My bike is currently on finance as well (they aren't very helpful in terms of rejecting the bike at this point) as it's less than 6 months old.

Currently seeking legal advice.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Some of the early Ford cars in the 80s had the same problem when starting on a cold morning and going straight out onto a motorway at high-speed they would partially lose power as the motor slightly cold seized and then and then once they stop it would restart fine and then carry on with no problems, maybe is something like this

·
Registered
32 Posts
TJM... one would think the BMW technician would do a full diagnostics check to show up any faults as to what he said happened... one would have thought those circumstances would show up at malfunctions in the log....could be worth checking.... if not it is only his word as to what supposed to have happened !!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts