BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looks like this one needs a bit of cutting of the rear mud guard. Do you know if any of the other options require cutting of the rear mudguard?
the gs I have does not come with mudguard, even though I did install an aftermarket one (hugger). I don't know about any other options of lowering links.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I regret lowering mine. I had the dealer put on the official lowering link and they adjusted the height of the forks and chopped the kickstand down as well. I'm going to undo it and already have ordered a replacement kickstand off eBay.

Why am I putting it back up to stock height? I had a crash which I partly attribute to the lower ride height. What happened is I scraped the foot peg during a turn and I hit it hard enough to lift off the rear wheel, causing a low side. Better turning technique could have prevented it, but I can't shake the feeling that if my bike hadn't been lowered, I might not have crashed.

I did a pretty detailed write-up about the crash on reddit, not sure if linking to that is allowed here, but I just thought I'd offer my opinion: learn how to ride the taller bikes.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Kohm, post: 107191, member: 8779.......
Good observations there, perhaps we all need to think of the consequences, looking forward, when doing modifications to our bikes.
Hope you and the bike are OK...

·
Registered
26 Posts
The
The T-Rex link appears to be basically the same as the link sold by San Jose BMW and they both lower the bike 2 inches. A big difference is the price, the San Jose BMW price being $299. Because of my 27 1/2 inch inseam lowering my 310GS was very necessary and I purchased and installed the San Jose link, raised the forks in the triple clamp, and had the sidestand shortened by a welder.. I have never regretted it and have found no changes in the ride, handling, suspension reaction to bumps, etc., and it is much more secure being able to get both feet on the ground. Wish I had known about the much cheaper T-Rex link but even at $299 it was still worth it for me. Hope this is of some help to ther OP.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Why am I putting it back up to stock height? I had a crash which I partly attribute to the lower ride height. What happened is I scraped the foot peg during a turn and I hit it hard enough to lift off the rear wheel, causing a low side.
Didn't the foot peg fold up? That's why they fold.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Didn't the foot peg fold up? That's why they fold.
They do, but depending on the angle you touch the ground. The thing to consider is the rear shock adjustment. The OEM is VERY soft. lowering 2" is quite a bit, so I would max the spring preload. I personally have a rather firm aftermarket shock, so I can just decrease the rider's sag easily.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I didn't have to adjust the kickstand. Regarding whether or not lowering makes the bike more dangerous, a lot probably depends on how much you weigh. I weigh about 117 lbs.

My problem is that even though the bike is low enough for me and my 27-inch inseam (I lowered the bike and have the low seat), it is too heavy for me and my beginner skill level. Debating whether to sell it but I would have to take a huge loss on a bike with 2 miles on it. Thinking of getting smaller bike like a SYM to use until I gain enough skills to ride the BMW.

·
Registered
169 Posts
SusaninSF, I am assuming yo have the "R" that is about 350 Lbs which is on the lower weight for the 250cc-300cc class bikes. I do not know how tall you are so I am going to guess 5'4" or so.
My only suggestion is to strengthen your legs (not muscle build) and to use motorcycle racing boot to support your ankles. Cycle Gear has Bilt Pole Position boots for around $100 that will not only protect your feet but will give good support. Running shoes and tennis shoes won't cut it.
Put he kickstand down BEFORE you get on or off the bike that will help also and you willl not have to worry about the bike falling.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Charles,

Thanks for the tips! I ended up selling my R at a big loss and buying a Honda Monkey ABS on which I am happily zipping around the City. I learned on a Honda Rebel which is heavier than the R but the weight is carried lower. The large fuel tank on the 310 made the weight higher up and I couldn't handle it safely. Honda Monkey wasn't my dream bike but I've been surprised how perfect it is for City riding.

I also totally gear up even on this smaller bike. SF probably one of the most dangerous places to ride.

Thanks again, Susan

·
Registered
28 Posts
SusaninSF,

Sucks you had to get off the band wagon but your stability and safety come first.

PS: I'm 5'10 and it took me a solid 2 weeks to find my footing with the bike and actually feel comfortable (I had a few moments where I had to fight it not to fall on the stop sign). But now I want the higher seat, go figure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I regret lowering mine. I had the dealer put on the official lowering link and they adjusted the height of the forks and chopped the kickstand down as well. I'm going to undo it and already have ordered a replacement kickstand off eBay.

Why am I putting it back up to stock height? I had a crash which I partly attribute to the lower ride height. What happened is I scraped the foot peg during a turn and I hit it hard enough to lift off the rear wheel, causing a low side. Better turning technique could have prevented it, but I can't shake the feeling that if my bike hadn't been lowered, I might not have crashed.

I did a pretty detailed write-up about the crash on reddit, not sure if linking to that is allowed here, but I just thought I'd offer my opinion: learn how to ride the taller bikes.
Do you have the lowering bits for sale?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts