BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my GS310 yesterday. Loving it but still feel I need to lower it to feel completely comfortable. I'm debating between lowering the whole bike or buying the low seat. Not sure which one is the most appropriate (safety/result/price...) Anyone ?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I thought that I needed to lower my GS when I first got it but it seems to have lowered itself. Springs sagging, seat compressing it seems fine now.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I thought that I needed to lower my GS when I first got it but it seems to have lowered itself. Springs sagging, seat compressing it seems fine now.
I agree - same experience here. Have even bumped up the rear shock preload by 3 notches from OEM setting.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Jul310. Depends if you want to upgrade your suspension or just lower the bike.
I have lowered the front of my GS by 15mm (sliding forks up through the clamps) and have rear preload dialed right down. Folks will say not to lower just the front but the handling is fine, if anything it sharpens up the steering closer to the R.
Next step if I want to go lower would be a Lowering kit, there are a few available, currently looking at Metisse version which replaces a suspension mount point at the rear shock (but not the shock). Can then lower the front another 10mm or so.
Note you will need to shorten the side stand if you lower the bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
@Jul310

Hello! I was also looking into lowering options for the G310R since I am a short guy with short legs and short inseam... Before I bought the G310R, I was lucky enough to check out the lowering seat fitted on my bike before I rolled away with it, and I have to say, the difference is minimal. For the few minutes I sat on it, here is my opinion:
- the seat felt more comfortable in the sense that it was narrower than stock.
- the thickness of the cushion was noticeably gone and gave it a harder feel under my butt.
- for the price that BMW is asking for this lowered seat, it didn't feel worth the money to me.

I am able to get my toes down not all the way to the balls of my feet (for both feet), and I can get a single flat foot down at a light IF i tip the bike at a slight angle or slide over a bit. This is OK for short rides (commutes) but if you have to do this all day long for extended periods, I can see how it can be a pain ... I'm not chiropractor or anythng, but I feel like the weight of the bike and the shifting over with your hips can contribute to some bad hip alignments later on... MAYBE???

In any case, I went ahead with stock everything, and already dropped the bike once in a parking lot with SUPER uneven surface. From when the bike started to tip over to the right, and when my right foot found flat ground, the bike was tipped too far over to stop it. *sigh* That was a moment where i thought to myself "man... if I was able to flat foot on both sides..."

I'll probably get used to how things are ... but I hope whichever way you choose, it works out for you and you don't drop your bike because of something stupid like what I did!

There was a post I saw by @schwa99x who found some company that made what looks to be a legit lowering suspension kit (which is what I think I would do IF I still want to lower) ... seems costly, but in my opinion, it feels like it's doing it "right".
https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/161-suspension-brakes/3313-40mm-lowering-kit-g310r.html

I don't know if this will fit on the GS, but might be a good starting point if you wanted to take this path.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi there,

The lowered seat isn't really worth it - I'm 163cm tall and have the GS - the lowered seat made a small small small difference in my situation. I'd rather have gone and bought a lowering kit from Rally Raid or something similar and ignore the lowered seat option all together.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all your answers. New at this site so just saw all your answers today. I'll go to the authorized BMW that was recommended to me and get the bike lowered. I already have the kit to lower the rear so the mechanic will have to figure the front himself. When I spoke to him he wasn't completely sure how difficult it would be. Sounds like the front is pretty straight forward .
And yes, the mechanic mentioned shortening the side stand as well.
Thank you again for all your inputs .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more question.... bmw toronto sends me to Buckhorn, Ontario to have the bike lowered (bmw doesn't have the tool for it 😞)... any chance anyone knows a place a bit Closer to Toronto for that ? I'll check other dealerships in the GPA as well...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you for all your answers. New at this site so just saw all your answers today. I'll go to the authorized BMW that was recommended to me and get the bike lowered. I already have the kit to lower the rear so the mechanic will have to figure the front himself. When I spoke to him he wasn't completely sure how difficult it would be. Sounds like the front is pretty straight forward .
And yes, the mechanic mentioned shortening the side stand as well.
Thank you again for all your inputs .
Hi Jul

Did you have the lowering kit fitted? Can I ask which kit you used and by how much you were able to lower the seat height?
Thanks,

·
Registered
129 Posts
I went with the tractive low shock from rally raid, way better shock than stock and it lets you dial in up to a full inch lower. the recall side stand is longer than the original one and will definitely need to be shortened.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went with the tractive low shock from rally raid, way better shock than stock and it lets you dial in up to a full inch lower. the recall side stand is longer than the original one and will definitely need to be shortened.
Thanks for your feedback Focus, but that won't be enough for me. Looking for 2 inches at least.

·
Registered
4 Posts
RR lowering

Thanks for your feedback Focus, but that won't be enough for me. Looking for 2 inches at least.
Hogrider --

I lowered my wife's bike with the RRP shock and fork. took 35MM out of the system. New spring in front with preload adjust and dropped the triples the same amount. I also have fatbars and packers from Renthal and RRP which allows for the drop of the forks. I also shaved the seat with an angle grinder and very very soft touch with 220 grit. We have at least 2.2-2.5 inches off stock. HOWEVER, it stands bolt freaking upright and now I gotta get about an inch and a little out of the sidestand to get the parking geometry right. Ill upload pics at a later date.

Performance: RRP shocks /forks kick ***. Even the level one lowering shock. totally changed the bike. Even 35mm lower you have massive ability offroad and suffice to say --**this is not a 450EXC**-- so if you need that super MX kind of performance, throw down 10 grand on a KTM. But, for a 300 class lightweight dirt/road combo bike, the RRP upgrades make this thing a beast in the like-kind class.

With Rally Raid, you get a great little GS bike
:grin2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for the delay in replying.
I still have the lowering kit (really it's a small round piece of metal... Worth $200 Canadian) . It's still seating in my drawer as I have yet to decide if I'm going to go with it or not. Super expensive to have the job done. But from what I was told, it will take a good 2inches off the rear shock. Then adjustments have to be done with the front one as well as the kick stand.
The bike is sitting in the garage for the winter as we speak (breaks my heart) ... And I'll see in the spring if I break the piggy bank to lower the bike.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you use the fork springs you will need to remember that there will be that much less suspension travel. 40mm drop = 40mm less travel.
I am also not so sure about lowering links on the bike also. If it was just using a shorter or longer "bone", I would be ok (I did this on my old GT250R) but this requires more rear suspension work. My RC390 is like that, no "bone" either.

The lower seat is not worth the money. If I were you, I would get the rear shock that can lower the bike in fine increments (Rally-Raid) and then lower the front forks appropriately. Should you want to upgrade the front suspension to you weight, you can get that from Rally-Raid as well as Andreani. By the way you do not have to remove the forks to replace the cartridges as long as you use an extractor to remove the fork oil. I checked with Andreani. That will save a good amount of money on labor cost. As the bike leans over pretty far when the kickstand is down, depending on how much you lower, you may not need to shorten stand.

It is best to do it correctly. I don't know how short you are but my inseam is 28" as measured pants and 30" to bottom of heel. I have the regular seat and can't flat foot either. However, if you wear Adventure boots (Cyclegear has Bilt brand for about $120) or If you have hiking boots they will give you more reach to the road. Also ADV boots will give you more support at the ankle if the bike leans over for you to control. Don't wear running shoes when you ride, wear motorcycle boots. I fell once and since I was wearing standard shoes, they did not protect my ankle and I got a big piece gravel in it and the skin had to reform over a 2" oval area. Luckily I did not break or badly damage it, but I would not have injured it at all if I had been wearing the proper boots.

Reactions: hogrider

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you use the fork springs you will need to remember that there will be that much less suspension travel. 40mm drop = 40mm less travel.
I am also not so sure about lowering links on the bike also. If it was just using a shorter or longer "bone", I would be ok (I did this on my old GT250R) but this requires more rear suspension work. My RC390 is like that, no "bone" either.

The lower seat is not worth the money. If I were you, I would get the rear shock that can lower the bike in fine increments (Rally-Raid) and then lower the front forks appropriately. Should you want to upgrade the front suspension to you weight, you can get that from Rally-Raid as well as Andreani. By the way you do not have to remove the forks to replace the cartridges as long as you use an extractor to remove the fork oil. I checked with Andreani. That will save a good amount of money on labor cost. As the bike leans over pretty far when the kickstand is down, depending on how much you lower, you may not need to shorten stand.

It is best to do it correctly. I don't know how short you are but my inseam is 28" as measured pants and 30" to bottom of heel. I have the regular seat and can't flat foot either. However, if you wear Adventure boots (Cyclegear has Bilt brand for about $120) or If you have hiking boots they will give you more reach to the road. Also ADV boots will give you more support at the ankle if the bike leans over for you to control. Don't wear running shoes when you ride, wear motorcycle boots. I fell once and since I was wearing standard shoes, they did not protect my ankle and I got a big piece gravel in it and the skin had to reform over a 2" oval area. Luckily I did not break or badly damage it, but I would not have injured it at all if I had been wearing the proper boots.
Thanks for the feedback Charles, much appreciated.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hogrider,

If you need a huge drop like 2" or more, you can replace your front wheels with wheels from the "R" as they are 17" as opposed to the 19" fronts on the "GS". That will make you a SuperMoto version. That along with the Rally-Raid shock that drops the back 1" (25mm) might get you where you want to be. Rake will shorten so will handle more like sport bike than Adventure bike.

Use a 150/60R17 rear instead of the 150/70R17 which will also lower a little. You will now have a G310SM (supermoto)

Let me know what you end up doing. My Dad is from the Philippines.

Reactions: IBMWRacingRed

·
Registered
751 Posts
lowering the bike affects the bike's geometry and lowers the ground clearance. i also thought of lowering the Versys 1000, which is much heavier bike, but decided against it. it all comes to learning how to keep balance on the bike, not controlling it with feet on the ground. i have done some off-roading with crf250L and it all comes down to knowing how to balance the bike. sitting high on a adventure bike is all the fun...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hogrider,

If you need a huge drop like 2" or more, you can replace your front wheels with wheels from the "R" as they are 17" as opposed to the 19" fronts on the "GS". That will make you a SuperMoto version. That along with the Rally-Raid shock that drops the back 1" (25mm) might get you where you want to be. Rake will shorten so will handle more like sport bike than Adventure bike.

Use a 150/60R17 rear instead of the 150/70R17 which will also lower a little. You will now have a G310SM (supermoto)

Let me know what you end up doing. My Dad is from the Philippines.
Some novel thinking there.
Maybe the Rally Raid guys can come up with a version of the bike along the lines you describe.
I haven't bought the bike yet, still looking for the best solution to the seat height issue.
Yes its more fun in the Philippines.:laugh:

·
Registered
24 Posts
lowering the bike affects the bike's geometry and lowers the ground clearance. i also thought of lowering the Versys 1000, which is much heavier bike, but decided against it. it all comes to learning how to keep balance on the bike, not controlling it with feet on the ground. i have done some off-roading with crf250L and it all comes down to knowing how to balance the bike. sitting high on a adventure bike is all the fun...
Absolutely correct Kris, and I would be much happier not having to lower the seat height.
I can put both feet down but only toes, not flat footed.
I'd be comfortable enough riding the bike on the road, I'm just not sure how I'd get on, off-road. If the bike did get unbalanced by ruts, or obstacles, I'd feel happier if I was able to use my legs more to help hold it up.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts