BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had one put on by the dealer and use it all the time, my Cortec trunk pak is on it. Expensive but useful.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Will have the original rack fitted (part # 46548566278) at the 1000km service, because I already own the 30 liter top-case. It luckily is the same model on the 310 as on the R1200RS!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I bought and installed the Hepco& Becker rack
Easy, quick and affordable.
(At that time BMW was not having the rack - like the center stand ;-))

·
Registered
30 Posts
The rack is a very simple installation. I installed the race in the dealer's parking lot in about 15 minutes. Once you get the unit, it is is very apparent where the connection points align. I paired the race with the 29l topcase. It fits quite well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought and installed the Hepco& Becker rack
Easy, quick and affordable.
(At that time BMW was not having the rack - like the center stand ;-))

I second the motion on the Hepco Becker rack, Easy Rack with the flip up/down support bar.
They also have a complete line of luggage in addition to the top case.
BMW only offers the top case at this time.
the "C mount" is very nice if/when you need the side luggage.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went with the Hepco Becker Rear Minirack instead of the Easy Rack. Very simple installation and very sturdy. I am experimenting with a inexpensive Dowco rally pack bag on it. I will take some photos and post if I can figure out how to post photos.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any person install a Bmw oem rack ?
Any advice ?
Installed it myself yesterday; remove the rear handles by removing the two torx bolts per side, remove the plastic cap behind the seat, remove the two bolts under the cap. Now install rack with these six bolts. Easiest job ever, takes 10-15 minutes max. :grin2:

Result in the pictures, I'm happy the way it looks and fits!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
901 Posts
The back rack has handles incorporated into it so it should be able to at least take the weight of a person. You should also be able to pick up the back of the bike by the handles.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You should also be able to pick up the back of the bike by the handles.
Can confirm, I do this often to sidle the bike into a tight spot. The Rear rack and handles are appropriately sturdy.

I’ve carried a 55litre soft bag fully loaded for 700k’s, part of that packed in was a set of engine crash bars!

·
Registered
322 Posts
The back rack has handles incorporated into it so it should be able to at least take the weight of a person.
Remind me not to ride pillion with you if you intend for me to sit on the rack vs. on the seat. >:)

Regarding weight limits - lawyers (solicitors) were undoubtedly involved at least as much as engineers. The big issue is having too much weight cantilevered behind the rear axle. Lightens the front end and can do "interesting" things to handling.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts