BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shallom fellow GS owners.

This is a thread for the purpose of storing - and sharing the journey for those who might find information helpful in their own endevours of service and repair - of my beloved G 310 GS K03. This process of investigation will be taking place in a BMW Motorrad workshop in Mainland UK.

The intentions of this thread is for keeping track, i.e. recording the process from FAULT, CAUSE to RECTIFICATION. Factors for an in-depth inspection, including the want to care for your vehicle, start with your approach as a customer. With that said, here does my first investigation request!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vehicle Purpose
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The GS is my only mode of transport. She's used for commuting Monday to Friday, then out for fun or errands on the weekends. She's my first motorbike.

G 310 GS K03 - History

20-03-2020

- G 310 GS Delivery!
BMW Baby GS ownership begins, just as the world locks itself down - with only 1 days commute to work and a weekend of windy empty roads under the belt.​
22-05-2020

- Running-In Service @ 660 Miles (1,062 Kilometers)
Engine oil, oil filter, sump plug and washer replacement (carried out by myself).​
Engine Oil refill capacity of 1.65 litre with filter change.​
BMW SOURCED PARTS:
11 42 8 562 889 - Oil Filter [x1]​
11 13 7 720 999 - Screw Plug (Sump Plug) [x1]​
07 11 9 963 252 - Sealing Ring (Sump Washer) [x1]​
83 12 2 405 891 - 1 Litre BMW Mororrad Advantec Pro Original BMW Engine Oil SAE 15W-50 [x2]​
NOTE: A concern has loomed over the decision to carry out the running-in service myself. Originally wanting all history to be carried out by a BMW Motorrad workshop for the sake of warranty, though COVID-19 closed all workshops for my first 2,000 miles of ownership.

To be continued...
Having recently been in for a brief visit to a BMW Motorrad workshop (for simplicity, I will refer to this workshop as workshop 1), we have confirmed the FAULT. After I've gathered more information around the work performed, including a call to BMW customer services, I will outline the information around moving forward to the next step; CAUSE.

P.S. please feel free to give constructive questioning or enlightenment into areas of questioning or information I could be missing.

·
Super Moderator
1,020 Posts
It wasn't clear from your 1st post. And what is the fault, this isn't clear from the post either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I get where you're coming from now, my post isn't as "in-depth" as I said - and thought - it came across when creating the thread and its material layout. I've underestimated the scale of context/content I've missed.

The reason for the workshop visit is due to an Abnormal Engine Noise - Workshop 1 has confirmed my suspicion thus far. Accompanied with the mandatory VHC (vehicle health check) once over scan.

I'm currently awaiting a phone call around the concerns of warranty (due to my-self-service that was done as a result of lockdown shutting all BMW workshops), a call which was set to be expected today, though it did not come to fruition.

I appreciate the prompt 🤙 improved response pending...

·
Super Moderator
1,020 Posts
Did they mention where the noise was coming from, or just general engine noise?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did they mention where the noise was coming from, or just general engine noise?
Top of the engine.

I assume the tappets are to blame, especially after seeing the US PuMA Measure No. 64011504-05 Rocker Arm Prematurely Worn.

I am yet to hear back from Workshop 1, though BMW customer services are assisting with keeping on top of them thankfully.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts