BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Could anyone of you guy help me to know whci is the maximum wide of tyres that I can install to my bike. My understanding is that the g310 has 150 in the rear tyres. I was wondering to maybe install a 160 or even a 170. Please let me know your thoughts or experiences.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hello. Could anyone of you guy help me to know whci is the maximum wide of tyres that I can install to my bike. My understanding is that the g310 has 150 in the rear tyres. I was wondering to maybe install a 160 or even a 170. Please let me know your thoughts or experiences.
I suppose you like the look of a wider tire and that's your main motivation here ?

Because besides of looks, I don't think you would gain anything: more expensive, more weight, slower to turn-in.

You can take a guess by adding 5mm on each side of your current tire and see how a 160 would do. First thing subject to rub would be the chain guard.

Also keep in mind the height ratio. If you just take a wider tire while keeping the same 2nd digit in the size, that means the tire would also be "higher". Ex.: Stock is 150/60 R17, if you put a 160/60 R17 the overall tire diameter would be 12mm more than stock, affecting overall geometry of the bike. Might also come close to rubbing the rear wheel hugger. 160/55 R17 would be closer in height to the stock tire.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I wouldn't change the tyre size.
This bike is made with these tyres and changing the width will also change al lot of riding and handling issues.
Is it worth spending money on new tyres finding out you lost al lot of fun ???

·
Registered
50 Posts
The rear wheel is only 4 inches wide so even the stock 150 seems to be pushing the limits. Not worth the risk of compromising the bike's handling (probably it's best feature) IMO.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It is not worth it to change. See MC Garage on YouTube and Ari Henning will explain. I thinks title is Tire Width

1 - 7 of 7 Posts