BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

310GS owner here - 2018 in red
I brought it used last summer and put a couple thousand miles on while getting my license. Have full license now and all set.

It's a blast, love the bike, and probably will keep it for a while. However I can't help but look at some shiny new ones. The local dealer has some corporate demo, mainly a 2020 750 GS. It's awesome.

Looking at the BMW line, I can't help but notice it's a long way up from a 3:10 to a 750 which, let's be honest, is actually 8:53cc so we're really looking at something almost triple the size and certainly a lot more power weight insurance, the whole thing.

I can't help but Wonder why BMW doesn't have something more mid-range? Now I know everyone will say that a 750 or 850 is mid-range relative to a 1250 but then everyone doesn't need that. I think there's a huge market in the 500 to 650 CC range, has demonstrated by the 500x, versus 650, and V-Strom 650. So I'm curious does anyone know why there isn't a 550 or 600 gs? I can't help but Wonder this will be an excellent addition and steal a lot of market share for BMW. Everyone doesn't want the 853.

??

·
Super Moderator
1,082 Posts
Hey everyone

310GS owner here - 2018 in red
I brought it used last summer and put a couple thousand miles on while getting my license. Have full license now and all set.

It's a blast, love the bike, and probably will keep it for a while. However I can't help but look at some shiny new ones. The local dealer has some corporate demo, mainly a 2020 750 GS. It's awesome.

Looking at the BMW line, I can't help but notice it's a long way up from a 3:10 to a 750 which, let's be honest, is actually 8:53cc so we're really looking at something almost triple the size and certainly a lot more power weight insurance, the whole thing.

I can't help but Wonder why BMW doesn't have something more mid-range? Now I know everyone will say that a 750 or 850 is mid-range relative to a 1250 but then everyone doesn't need that. I think there's a huge market in the 500 to 650 CC range, has demonstrated by the 500x, versus 650, and V-Strom 650. So I'm curious does anyone know why there isn't a 550 or 600 gs? I can't help but Wonder this will be an excellent addition and steal a lot of market share for BMW. Everyone doesn't want the 853.

??
Problem is that a mid range would be almost as expensive as a 750, why would people buy it when they could get the 750 for about the same amount of money?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem is that a mid range would be almost as expensive as a 750, why would people buy it when they could get the 750 for about the same amount of money?
almost the same? Based on what?

there’s nearly 4K between the 310 and 750.
Why couldn’t a 500 or 550cc land in between?
More like a 310 (ie not as many features as the 750) but at a lesser price point then the 750.

target - bigger people, passenger, more luggage, more highway. Ie cb500x

·
Registered
83 Posts
F750GS has the engine of F850GS but less power.
Nowadays it makes no sense having 450 of 500cc bikes if the overall weight of the bike is the same of bikes with 750-800cc engines

If you want something in the middle you should opt for other brands, KTM has 390 and the next year they are going to come out with 490, but they have 690 and so on...

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think the marketeers at BMW don't see any profit in such a bike. The G310R/GS is designed for the mass markets of the Third World, where "small" capacity bikes are used for everyday driving. A big part of the development of the G310R/GS was already carried by TVS. A "mid-range" bike with ~500 cc would be sold in smaller quantities to "Westerners". The price of that bike would bee very close to the bigger bikes and would not satisfy the North American and European customer's need of Hubraum (German for cylinder capacity).

·
Registered
2019 G310GS
24 Posts
Marci said "Nowadays it makes no sense having 450 of 500cc bikes if the overall weight of the bike is the same of bikes with 750-800cc engines"

And yet our 310 weighs as much or more than a Suzuki DR650. ???

·
Registered
339 Posts
Marci said "Nowadays it makes no sense having 450 of 500cc bikes if the overall weight of the bike is the same of bikes with 750-800cc engines"

And yet our 310 weighs as much or more than a Suzuki DR650. ???
And the power output is almost the same. A big difference is that you can buy a new G310GS, but not DR650 or Honda XR600 or Yamaha XT660 or Kawasaki KLX.

·
Registered
2019 G310GS
24 Posts
From what i looked up there is about 10 more horsepower in a DR650. Thats a lot when the weight is the same or even less than the 310. And in 2019, both could be bought new. Used ones still available. My whole point WAS, why is the 310 as HEAVY as a 650?

·
Registered
339 Posts
My whole point WAS, why is the 310 as HEAVY as a 650?
If you want real answer to your question, maybe you should contact the designer of the bike. He/she could most certainly give you a whole lot more answers than this community. The DR650 isn't available in Finland, hasn't been for decades and due to environmental reasons stopped being imported to EU many years ago.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts