BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
BMW 310GS 2019
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few more mods to the GS, Remus exhaust, rally raid engine guard and shad top box, took the footrests hangers off as my wife prefers the Bonnieville or Piaggio if she wants to play out with me, saved a tonne of weight too, you can feel it just pushing the bike around.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Great looking bike - I am guessing you in UK but don't know how old the bike is, but if its due an MOT be careful mate.
A few years (2016) ago my Ducati went to the dealer for its MOT , a dealer I had used for donkey's years, bought many bikes from them, however in between MOT's this dealer changed hands and got a very picky MOT tester. My bike failed because it had no rear footrests and there was a seat that a passenger could use. Now whether that was an incredibly picky tester out to prove a point, or someone with no common sense, I don't know, needless to say they lost my business for good.
You'd be very upset should they fall foul of a similar 'jobs worth' MOT tester. My remark about the fact 'there is'nt a pillion passenger either' didn't go down too well.

·
Registered
BMW 310GS 2019
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think with the complete bracket having been removed, there's no evidence of them ever being there so shouldn't be a problem, also bikes of an off road nature sometimes have different rules applying to them. My local MOT man is a top bloke and applies common sense, so shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Apparently if there is a seat for a pillion to sit on then there has to be pillion footrests.
I wish the MOT tester that failed mine had used common sense, its all to rare nowadays.
i have that same garage heard that they failed a bike for LED headlights, because they were not original equipment

·
Registered
BMW 310GS 2019
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Word of warning, it appears that the pillion footrests serve two purposes, one for pillions and two to keep you leg away from the exhaust if you happen to have fitted a Remus. Bit of light green Laning this afternoon stood up on the pegs and melted my brand new gortex trousers..😡

·
Registered
339 Posts
Apparently if there is a seat for a pillion to sit on then there has to be pillion footrests.
I wish the MOT tester that failed mine had used common sense, its all to rare nowadays.
i have that same garage heard that they failed a bike for LED headlights, because they were not original equipment
Her in my country (and in Sweden as well) the certificate of registration states for how many persons the vehicle is approved for. Luckily we don't (yet) have anything comparable to the regular MOT test in Finland. In Sweden on the other hand they have to do a traffic safety test on yearly basis, or every second year depending on the vehicle's age.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Word of warning, it appears that the pillion footrests serve two purposes, one for pillions and two to keep you leg away from the exhaust if you happen to have fitted a Remus. Bit of light green Laning this afternoon stood up on the pegs and melted my brand new gortex trousers..😡
That could be something a home insurance might cover. If not, check with the manufacturer if they can repair your Cordura (or similar material) trousers. The GoreTex is a brand of water proof material branded by W. L. Gore & Associates. As the materials used are expensive, it seems worth paying the deductible part of the compensation from your insurance policy. And of course the burn happend when you got your leg stuck under the header pipe, when you fell with the bike green laning in the rain. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts